Page 74 of 108 FirstFirst ... 2434445464717273747576778494104 ... LastLast
Results 1,169 to 1,184 of 1719

Thread: AMD - Zen chitchat

  1. #1169
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,101
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked
    1,039 times in 883 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Some good IPC improvements in games,and it might be partly down to the improved cache latencies??
    That and the new boost system I expect. Games tend to fall into a middle ground where they aren't single threaded but don't use all the cores. Or is that with the boards overclocked to a flat 4GHz all the time? Can't watch vids atm, am working.

    However they did it, nice result.

  2. #1170
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    That and the new boost system I expect. Games tend to fall into a middle ground where they aren't single threaded but don't use all the cores. Or is that with the boards overclocked to a flat 4GHz all the time? Can't watch vids atm, am working.

    However they did it, nice result.
    The CPUs were both clocked at 4GHZ,so it was a test of core performance.

    I also added some more charts and more info to the post - it appears the review was done on an X370 based motherboard,and the X470 based ones might be a better fit,and AFAIK the improved boost support is a feature of the newer chipsets.

    Edit!!



    3200MHZ RAM was used for the stock games tests.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  3. #1171
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    396
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    78 times in 67 posts
    • Firejack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus PRIME X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • TG Dark Pro "8pack Edition"
      • Storage:
      • Crucial 250GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD, Samsung 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire RX VEGA 56 8GB Pulse
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic Focus Plus 650 Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2719DGF
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Significant boost from faster memory speed too. Thinking it might be worth spending the extra for an 8 pack TeamGroup Dark Pro/Xtreem kit on OcUK. Seem to be the cheapest high speed 16GB kits around at the moment.

  4. #1172
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,101
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked
    1,039 times in 883 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    OK that's pretty impressive then. That still limits what's changed to "just about anything" mind
    Cache, PCIe buffering, ram interface as well as the cores themselves. Got to keep those puppies fed!

  5. #1173
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat



    Looks like most of the uplift is down to the latency improvements I suspect.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  6. #1174
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,947
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked
    364 times in 254 posts

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    OK that's pretty impressive then. That still limits what's changed to "just about anything" mind
    Cache, PCIe buffering, ram interface as well as the cores themselves. Got to keep those puppies fed!
    Obviously it's by no means a comprehensive list of changes but AFAIK the only thing that's changed from R1 to R2 is the node size and cache latencies, oh and the new versions of XFR and PB (would they be operating on an X370 board?)

    It's odd the slide Cat posted is saying they improved latencies on L1 and L3, would that be down to improved cache prefetch?

  7. #1175
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,101
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked
    1,039 times in 883 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Obviously it's by no means a comprehensive list of changes but AFAIK the only thing that's changed from R1 to R2 is the node size and cache latencies, oh and the new versions of XFR and PB (would they be operating on an X370 board?)

    It's odd the slide Cat posted is saying they improved latencies on L1 and L3, would that be down to improved cache prefetch?
    I would expect there to be a whole bunch of errata fixed, and some bugs can really hurt performance.

  8. #1176
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I would expect there to be a whole bunch of errata fixed, and some bugs can really hurt performance.
    AFAIK,SMT could lead to performance issues with Ryzen in some games. It could be quite possible,that there are improvements there??

    Its just interesting looking at the gaming improvements,clock for clock - if that is replicated by other reviews,those fixes have yield some decent improvements. Then if you add the few hundred mhz in additional clockspeed,that is a good improvement in around 12 months IMHO OFC.


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  9. #1177
    Oh Crumbs.... Biscuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Yorkshire
    Posts
    11,192
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    1,091 times in 833 posts
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Well played AMD


    Have their marketing department finally managed to somehow... work?

  10. #1178
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    10,101
    Thanks
    501
    Thanked
    1,039 times in 883 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Linux, 1TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 30 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    AFAIK,SMT could lead to performance issues with Ryzen in some games. It could be quite possible,that there are improvements there??

    Its just interesting looking at the gaming improvements,clock for clock - if that is replicated by other reviews,those fixes have yield some decent improvements. Then if you add the few hundred mhz in additional clockspeed,that is a good improvement in around 12 months IMHO OFC.
    I can't see how they could directly improve SMT, but lots of things could help smooth that problem including the cache speed as sharing data between cores can really hurt performance (part of what makes multi threaded code hard to write is keeping threads off each other's active cache lines). The other possibility is the improved boost system may well include better core parking/unparking which again changes cache access patterns.

    But the only way we could know what is going on is to measure it. I presume Windows has some equivalent to the Linux kernelshark to measure this sort of thing.

    But yeah, it's pretty good progress. If I feel wealthy at some point I will no doubt buy one, though I am still waiting for a decent priced Vega first.

  11. #1179
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    15,043
    Thanks
    1,194
    Thanked
    2,246 times in 1,847 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 1x 8GB DDR4 2400
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    ... the new versions of XFR and PB (would they be operating on an X370 board?) ...
    According to leaked roadmap and slides (e.g. https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/1160...ap-specs-leak/), sort of

    AFAICT XFR 2 is basically just a marketing name for PB 2 on 2000X processors, and will give it the opportunity to boost above the normal PB2 level for load if there's thermal headroom. However there seems to be an additional 'PB Overdrive' that requires an X processor and 400-series motherboard, and should give better boost clocks with intermediate core loads. None of them seem to allow boosting past the advertised max boost clock, but given you very rarely see a pure single-thread load nowadays it should play out quite well...

  12. #1180
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    396
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    78 times in 67 posts
    • Firejack's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus PRIME X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
      • Memory:
      • TG Dark Pro "8pack Edition"
      • Storage:
      • Crucial 250GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD, Samsung 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire RX VEGA 56 8GB Pulse
      • PSU:
      • SeaSonic Focus Plus 650 Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2719DGF
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    The Ryzen 7 1800X is £229.97 @ Amazon (for prime members) this morning. Do wonder just how low the first Ryzen series will go to clear them out. Looking over the early numbers the extra £50 for the Ryzen 7 2700X looks the better buy. If the £1800X creeps closer to £200 it will give people a headache trying to pick the best.

  13. #1181
    Cinnamon Roll Ozaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    538
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked
    30 times in 29 posts
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170 SLI Plus
      • CPU:
      • i5-6600K @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB HyperX DDR4 2666MHz CL14
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765HT
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Quote Originally Posted by Firejack View Post
    The Ryzen 7 1800X is £229.97 @ Amazon (for prime members) this morning. Do wonder just how low the first Ryzen series will go to clear them out. Looking over the early numbers the extra £50 for the Ryzen 7 2700X looks the better buy. If the £1800X creeps closer to £200 it will give people a headache trying to pick the best.
    Just think of the market penetration!

  14. #1182
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,947
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked
    364 times in 254 posts

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    According to leaked roadmap and slides (e.g. https://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/1160...ap-specs-leak/), sort of

    AFAICT XFR 2 is basically just a marketing name for PB 2 on 2000X processors, and will give it the opportunity to boost above the normal PB2 level for load if there's thermal headroom. However there seems to be an additional 'PB Overdrive' that requires an X processor and 400-series motherboard, and should give better boost clocks with intermediate core loads. None of them seem to allow boosting past the advertised max boost clock, but given you very rarely see a pure single-thread load nowadays it should play out quite well...
    Yea it's about as clear as mud for me, i get the need for keeping higher boosts when more cores are lightly loaded but having three different names (Precision Boost 2.0, XFR 2, and Precision Boost Overdrive) sure is confusing, especially when throwing 3 and 4 series motherboards into the mix.

  15. #1183
    Bows out! CAT-THE-FIFTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hopefully somewhere less backstabby
    Posts
    28,789
    Thanks
    3,203
    Thanked
    4,456 times in 3,442 posts
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I can't see how they could directly improve SMT, but lots of things could help smooth that problem including the cache speed as sharing data between cores can really hurt performance (part of what makes multi threaded code hard to write is keeping threads off each other's active cache lines). The other possibility is the improved boost system may well include better core parking/unparking which again changes cache access patterns.

    But the only way we could know what is going on is to measure it. I presume Windows has some equivalent to the Linux kernelshark to measure this sort of thing.

    But yeah, it's pretty good progress. If I feel wealthy at some point I will no doubt buy one, though I am still waiting for a decent priced Vega first.
    If the results are replicated,whatever they have done its not bad at all,as its been barely a year since Ryzen MK1 came out.

    I also like the fact AMD is trying to keep to yearly cadences - I just hope GF/TSMC can keep to their end of the bargain next year.


    Quote Originally Posted by Firejack View Post
    The Ryzen 7 1800X is £229.97 @ Amazon (for prime members) this morning. Do wonder just how low the first Ryzen series will go to clear them out. Looking over the early numbers the extra £50 for the Ryzen 7 2700X looks the better buy. If the £1800X creeps closer to £200 it will give people a headache trying to pick the best.
    The Ryzen 7 2700X also has a cooler included and it even has RGB!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Yea it's about as clear as mud for me, i get the need for keeping higher boosts when more cores are lightly loaded but having three different names (Precision Boost 2.0, XFR 2, and Precision Boost Overdrive) sure is confusing, especially when throwing 3 and 4 series motherboards into the mix.
    MOAR buzzwords=MOAR sales surely??


    Those despicable Elk,stealing the pond weed!

  16. #1184
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,947
    Thanks
    398
    Thanked
    364 times in 254 posts

    Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

    Ahead of the reviews later today WikiChip Fuse has published an article on Zen CPU Complex, Cache, and SMU, i don't mind admitting that a fair amount of what they talk about on page 2 went right over my head but maybe a more technically minded Hexus reader will find it interesting.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •