• DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: AMD - Zen chitchat

Hmm,it looks BFV with RTX prefers more threads:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-battlefield-5-hardware

“What we have done with our DXR implementation is we go very wide on a lot of cores to offload that work,” explained Holmquist, “so we’re likely going to require a higher minimum or recommended spec for producing RT. And very wide is the best way for the consumer in that regard, with a four-core or six-core machine.

“We haven’t communicated any of the specs yet so they might change, but I think that a six-core machine – it doesn’t have to be aggressively clocked – but 12 hardware threads is what we kind of designed it for. But it might also work well on a higher clocked eight thread machine.”

The PC we used to play the RTX-enabled version of Battlefield 5 on was running an older Intel six-core CPU with 12 threads, but not a Coffee Lake chip. Still, hitting 12 threads on an Intel processor can get expensive. On the AMD side, less so.

Picking up a Ryzen 5 2600 would give you enough processing grunt to accompany your Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti graphics card. Though if you’ve spent $1,200 on a new GPU chances are you’ll want at least a Ryzen 7, of course you might not have any cash reserves left after picking up the new Turing monster…

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    AMD is also using the higher performance TSMC HPC 7NM node too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ther_than_soc/
    Hopefully that means decent clocks then!

There is also a rumour ATIC is going to sell GF:

https://www.bitsandchips.it/english-...lobalfoundries
    I suspected that might happen. I think I said in another thread, I wonder if Samsung are interested?

Hmm,it looks BFV with RTX prefers more threads:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-battlefield-5-hardware
    It would be really quite amusing if CPUs can capably offload some of the ray tracing workload given the cost/marketing/die size of the RTX cards!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Thanks

That's... almost bizarre!

I wonder what's causing issues with 14nm supply at Intel? It's now a very mature node so I wouldn't have thought anything like yields. Bigger die sizes vs previous SKUs could indicate fewer dies per wafer but the difference isn't that drastic (about 122 vs 149mm2 for 6700 vs 8700) and I wouldn't have thought Intel would be right up against wafer capacity limits for that to cause noticeable supply issues?

Thanks
    • MLyons's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS PRIME X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 2700x
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair RGB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB MX500 500GB HDD 2TB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA SC2 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair tx650
      • Case:
      • Corsair Air 540
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 Asus 1080p

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    That's... almost bizarre!

I wonder what's causing issues with 14nm supply at Intel? It's now a very mature node so I wouldn't have thought anything like yields. Bigger die sizes vs previous SKUs could indicate fewer dies per wafer but the difference isn't that drastic (about 122 vs 149mm2 for 6700 vs 8700) and I wouldn't have thought Intel would be right up against wafer capacity limits for that to cause noticeable supply issues?
    They put everything into 10nm being on time so now everything manufacturing wise is wonky for them.
    Half dev, Half doge. Some say DevDoge

Feel free to message me if you find any bugs or have any suggestions.
    If you need me urgently, PM me
    If something is/was broke it was probably me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks

I wouldn't have thought they would convert fab space from 14 to 10 to the point of constraining supply, knowing the issues they're having though? Unless it's a case of increasing demand but being unable to meet it due to 14nm capacity not increasing to match? But given release after release of Skylake it's not like the 14nm continuation was a last-minute panic either?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    I wouldn't have thought they would convert fab space from 14 to 10 to the point of constraining supply, knowing the issues they're having though? Unless it's a case of increasing demand but being unable to meet it due to 14nm capacity not increasing to match? But given release after release of Skylake it's not like the 14nm continuation was a last-minute panic either?
    Intel chip sizes have gone up generation and generation too,and something like the latest 8C Intel consumer CPUs are probably on third larger in surface area.

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Ignore this comment
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

AMD announced some extra Ryzen CPUs:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13343...500x-and-2300x
    Two new 'E' at 45W each including the 8C-16T 2700e and the 6C/12T 2600e and two new 'X's are 4C/8T and 4C/4T.
    To hit 45W, the 2700E has obviously suffered a lower base, but the max turbo is also lower

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    AMD announced some extra Ryzen CPUs:
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13343...500x-and-2300x
    Two new 'E' at 45W each including the 8C-16T 2700e and the 6C/12T 2600e and two new 'X's are 4C/8T and 4C/4T.
    To hit 45W, the 2700E has obviously suffered a lower base, but the max turbo is also lower
    The 2300X and 2500X are single CCX parts!

Thanks
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 EVo 500GB | Corsair MP510 960GB | 2 x WD 4TB spinners
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sappihre R7 260X 1GB (sic)
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic)
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x ViewSonic 27" 1440p

The 2300X and 2500X are single CCX parts!
    Yes, but surely that's a bit less interesting now since the APUs are all single CCX anyhow, or am I missing something?

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by kompukare View Post
    Yes, but surely that's a bit less interesting now since the APUs are all single CCX anyhow, or am I missing something?
    They only had 4MB of cache,and lack the cache latency improvements of Zen+ so it will be interesting to see how the 2500X does in legacy games against the 2600.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/co...2018_deutsche/

Devinder Kumar - AMD Chief Financial Officer at 2018 Deutsche Bank Technology Conference Call

Transcript

7nm node:

Q: You mentioned a little bit about the process technology, so why don’t we check that box as well. Last week or the week before, we saw global foundries throwing the towel on the 7-nanometer node. Talk a little bit about, holistically, your view on how AMD uses different foundries and what that change means via your WSA?

A: Yes. So if you go back to the context, and I know we talked about in the 2016 timeframe. When we laid out the multigenerational roadmap in terms of server, data center, commercial, we talked about having access to leading edge process technology. In 2016, we modified the WSA with GlobalFoundries and that gave us the flexibility in terms of having access to leading edge process technology. If our products are on time, we want to make sure that process technology was not a constraint in terms of introducing the products to the customers. And that’s exactly what the 2016 modification was about. As it turns out, it played out. Today, as we sit here, TSMC has done a very good job with execution on the 7-nanometer technology node.

We said back in 2015 and said in 2018 timeframe, we think our competitor is going to have. We thought they already have the 10-nanometer node out there. And we were prepared to go ahead and have our 7-nanometer products in the 2018 timeframe. We've stayed the schedule, their schedule has slipped. Today, with the GlobalFoundries evolving their strategy from a process technology standpoint, we are targeting all the 7-nanometer products at TSMC. And like I said earlier, sampling the GPU 7-nanometer second half of this year later this year; and then going ahead and launching it this year; and then in the server CPU space, launching that in 2019. So that’s playing out exactly as we had targeted and we’re very pleased with being able to stay on track with process and product technology.

Semicustom (consoles):

Q: That provided a ton of great revenue; whether it was the Sony side, the Microsoft side; now you have a Chinese game counsel builder as well; but great revenues to allow you to have the operating and earnings to invest in these other areas. But how do you think about the semicustom, going forward. Is that something that should be declining over time as this generation of counsels has peaked out? Or are you optimistic that there is going to be refreshes and/or new versions of semicustom opportunities?

A: We like the semicustom model a lot. Semicustom model is one of those; as you observe the game consoles, you win the designs; some of the engine and the expenses gets depraved by the input from the customers; we go ahead and get the chip out; and after that, it’s a mutually exclusive deal where you can predict revenue. Going back to 2012, 2013 timeframes, we’ve had predictably somewhere between $1.5 billion to $2 billion of revenues coming from the game console business, both Sony and Microsoft and that has allowed us to invest in exactly the roadmap that is delivering right now. We like that business a lot. We are competing for the next generation product. But Sony and Microsoft have to make their decisions and then taken we'll take it from there. But we like it a lot from an overall standpoint.

GPU excess stock, competition & Turing:

Q: Last question on the graphic side of the C&G. How do you view the competitive environment? Now that Nvidia has Turing out, it seems like they would at the very least, introduce a new high price point but push the prices down for their last generation chips. And that might be more of a direct competitive comparison for you/ Are you seeing any changes in the competitive dynamic?

A: The view is, first of all, the introduction of the product, the timing is very interesting. I think both companies are seeing elevated levels of graphics inventory in the channel space. We need to work through that over the next one or two quarters. And then obviously the ASPs for the new product that comes is very high. And I think the volume -- only when you get to the volume skews is they're going to be a benefit from a new product standpoint. We continue to have a roadmap in terms of introducing the 7-nanometer GPU for the data center, because that’s where the largest opportunity is for us from revenue and from the profit standpoint, and we’ll come out with the product from the competitive standpoint. I feel pretty good from a competitive standpoint in the graphics space. We have gained market share, overall, over the last 12 months or so, going below 30% or 33% and we'll continue to be comparative as we look forward from here.

7nm consumer GPU:

Q: And the absolute last question on the graphics side, 7 nanometer Vega coming to the data center side of it, you've talk about that before at the end of this year. When should we expect 7 nanometer to occur on the more traditional gaming…

A: We haven’t missed that piece. I think, if you look at it from what we have stated, we have 7 nanometer data center GPU launching later this year; we are sampling the 700 CPU this second half of ’18 and then launching in 2019; after that, we'll have the client piece of it; we haven’t been specific about the timing; and graphics will be coming out later than these products.

GPU computing ecosystem:

Q: NVIDIA, we talk about CUDA and the ecosystem around the programming to do the GPU computing side of things. How do you compete with that ecosystem from a software perspective?

A: I think, first of all, we have to invest in that area, which we have continued to invest. You’ve seen OpEx go up for the company and the largest area of investment is R&D. And in R&D the largest area is machine learning and software, that’s an area of investment. We have the hardware obviously coming out. We are investing in a big way on the software side of it. And then the other thing that I think is going to play out is the Open Source as opposed to the way CUDA works. And if you go back and look at literature, not in the financial columns and all of that, in the technical literature working with mega data center customers in particular, because they like the open software solution too, and now there’s a lot of discussion even by a competitor about open software as opposed to continuing with CUDA forevermore.
    AMD confirms it’s working with Microsoft on the future of cloud gaming:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-microsoft-cloud-console

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order