• Corsair Carbide C400
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic XG2703-GS 1440p@165hz IPS Gsync
      • Internet:
      • d-220mbs/u-22mbs

Upgrading from i7 7700K to Ryzen 7 5800X

MAXIMUM excitement ensues! Upgrade parts have been ordered. I am completely rebuilding my PC around the RTX 3090 in such a way that will maximize the performance of this ultra high end video card.

A big part of my excitement is that this is my first AMD CPU based build in 15 years. I abandoned AMD CPUs when Intel surpassed AMD by a significant margin in gaming performance overall, and haven't looked back until now. Zen 3 feels like the modern day K7 in many ways, taking the fight right to Intel's doorstep and taking the crown back with style. I am hardware brand agnostic and will buy whatever brand suits my needs. AMD, Intel, Nvidia, I don't care. Gimme the fastest performance of the features I want, that is all that matters.

AMD Ryzen 5000 series chips have been as scarce as any other new, advanced toys launched at the end of last year and only this week have been showing up in stock for MSRP. And I put the snag on the premium (in my eyes) chip of the bunch. Not the very highest end one, but the most desirable choice in my book, the Ryzen 7 5800X. With it's single CCX of 8 cores not having to talk to another CCX, it's nice and simple yet brutally fast. I did really consider the 5900 and 5950, but didn't feel like they would contribute anything at all to gaming that I couldn't already get from 5800X. While I do some modding content creation, and the extra vram of 3090 helps with texture editing, I don't need that many CPU cores and wouldn't see much benefit from them in what I'm doing.

The list of parts incoming to arrive next Tuesday are as follows:

Ryzen 7 5800X 8 core CPU
    Asus TUF X570 Plus (WiFi built in to motherboard version)
    Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0 M.2 500Gb
    Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 (4x8Gb)
    Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO cooler

Essentially this guts my current machine, replacing the 4 year old Core i7 7700K, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance (same speed, worse timings than replacement ram), Asus TUF Z270 Mark 1, Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500Gb PCIe 3.0, and EVGA CLC240 AIO. The PNY RTX 3090 Revel XLR8 will carry over to the new build, as well as the Corsair Carbide 400C, Corsair HX850i Platinum will all be staying. My existing Corsair ML120 RGB fans will also carry over, but be connected to the new controller that comes with the H100i Elite Capellix since it's Corsair's premium controller.

EXCITED!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Upgrading from i7 7700K to Ryzen 7 5800X

Corsair RAM isn't ideal as it can be a mixture of either Samsung,Hynix or Micron and multiple types of memory ICs. Some kits apparently will have better memory ICs,but TBH I would certainly see if the older kit you use currently has better memory ICs. Personally I would have looked at the Crucial Ballistix kits as Crucial said they use Micron E-die which works quite well with Zen2 and Zen3(same memory controller).

Banned
    Thanks
    • moshpit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF X570-Plus(WiFi)
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb (4x8Gb) 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance RGB
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP600 M.2 500Gb PCIe 4.0, Toshiba X300 6Tb SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY RTX 3090 24Gb XLR8 Revel Epic-X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide C400
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • d-220mbs/u-22mbs

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Corsair RAM isn't ideal as it can be a mixture of either Samsung,Hynix or Micron and multiple types of memory ICs. Some kits apparently will have better memory ICs,but TBH I would certainly see if the older kit you use currently has better memory ICs. Personally I would have looked at the Crucial Ballistix kits as Crucial said they use Micron E-die which works quite well with Zen2 and Zen3(same memory controller).
    I just wasn't that worried about it as with timings so close between the old set and new set, the final performance equation shouldn't matter so much and equal out nicely. The main thing though is keeping the old ram with the old setup for another build. And honestly, Corsair has never, ever done me wrong. I've never felt short changed in any game, benchmark, or application due to Corsair memory performance. I don't expect to feel so now.

Also, not to be rude, but it's poor form to come back when somebody says "I'm excited that I bought this..." with "Personally, I wouldn't have done that" as a response. I do tend to question the motivation for that kind of behavior. You are free to respond how you like, but you are not free from the consequences of showing poor manners, the consequences being having it pointed out. Carry on!
    Last edited by moshpit; 13-03-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    Also, not to be rude, but it's poor form to come back when somebody says "I'm excited that I bought this..." with "Personally, I wouldn't have done that" as a response. I do tend to question the motivation for that kind of behavior. You are free to respond how you like, but you are not free from the consequences of showing poor manners, the consequences being having it pointed out. Carry on!
    Um.... what did you post this in the forum for then? Did you want people to admire you for the choices you made and reaffirm your tech-choosing skills? This isn't like eating out at a restaurant where it's genuinely poor form to tell someone their meal doesn't look very nice, this is a tech forum, where maybe you still have the chance to change your purchases, and other people than you might get the benefit of finding out that corsair ram is suboptimal. Not to mention the fact that cat-the-fifth is not posting for his own benefit, he's extremely knowledgable about tech and effectively donating his expert feedback.

Your excitement being dulled somewhat by his feedback isn't really a consideration. He's not criticizing you. Look at how many times he's been thanked in this forum. If you're questioning the motivation for that kind of behaviour, perhaps look a bit deeper, and tell us what you actually see. Personally, I tend to question the motivation for coming onto a forum, sharing your build, and then reacting badly when someone gives you feedback.

5. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (13-03-2021)

Banned
    Thanks
    • moshpit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 5800X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide C400
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • d-220mbs/u-22mbs

Quote Originally Posted by wazzickle View Post
    Um.... what did you post this in the forum for then? Did you want people to admire you for the choices you made and reaffirm your tech-choosing skills? This isn't like eating out at a restaurant where it's genuinely poor form to tell someone their meal doesn't look very nice, this is a tech forum, where maybe you still have the chance to change your purchases, and other people than you might get the benefit of finding out that corsair ram is suboptimal. Not to mention the fact that cat-the-fifth is not posting for his own benefit, he's extremely knowledgable about tech and effectively donating his expert feedback.

Your excitement being dulled somewhat by his feedback isn't really a consideration. He's not criticizing you. Look at how many times he's been thanked in this forum. If you're questioning the motivation for that kind of behaviour, perhaps look a bit deeper, and tell us what you actually see. Personally, I tend to question the motivation for coming onto a forum, sharing your build, and then reacting badly when someone gives you feedback.
    What benefit are you talking about? I bought the stuff already, NOTHING he said helps me. Wow. I wasn't looking for suggestions of what I need to return and buy new nor did I imply I needed any. Since you are too ignorant to guess what my intention was and instead assigned your own guess, let me enlighten you. I was only posting to see if there's any suggestions for what to do with what I just bought, relevant settings I should know about, bugs, tricks for the specific models, etc... not go out and buy Crucial or what the hell ever other brand your biased for. Spend yer own damned money how you want, don't tell me after I spent mine to spend more.

And YES, I question telling somebody to go buy more of what they already have, in this case ram. Crucial? WHAT good does that suggestion do me now? The opening post clearly says I bought it already... Nothing suggested helps me in any way possible other than to act superior over a 2% performance difference AT BEST! You can go give your buddy a handjob in private, no need to do it here. It was poor form, and your buddy tactics are as well. Nothing you said was relevant.

Edit: Lastly, starting any post with "Ummmm" sounds slow witted, which was supported by the rest of your suppositions.

Edit: There was one part that had a TINY bit of relevance from his suggestion, and that was compare the new and old set's chips, though the timings already say that was unnecessary since no overclocking will be occurring and none was implied, ever. These will run at XMP setting. When timings and speeds match up, performance should be the same. This ONE piece of advice didn't require buying anything new for a MEASLY 2% at best difference... and itself was overall meaningless since performance is parity in this case, and never intended to change. Why tell me to worry about something that doesn't help? And it really doesn't... Measure an amount over 5% in gaming and we'll talk, otherwise take yer trolling elsewhere.

Edit 3: Now... Are you gonna give me any input on what I bought, or gonna tell me I need to buy something else instead? Cause you can shove THOSE suggestions where the sun doesn't shine. I bought what I bought and I'm happy with it. Tell me ideas on how to get the most out of what I bought and I'm all ears. Otherwise, take it elsewhere. You get no appreciation for useless and costly "suggestions" that don't actually help and only crow about theoretical differences if I go buy something else. I never asked for purchasing suggestions, nor do I want them.
    Last edited by moshpit; 13-03-2021 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks

I don't think anyone was trolling you or being out of line, when I started reading your original post I thought it was a list of things you were thinking of getting and at the point was going to make a comment myself, only reading further did I notice you had already bought the parts. It was probably a genuine oversight rather than suggesting you send parts back.
    Jon

8. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (13-03-2021),Scryder (14-03-2021)

Banned
    Thanks
    • moshpit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 5800X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide C400
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • d-220mbs/u-22mbs

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    I don't think anyone was trolling you or being out of line, when I started reading your original post I thought it was a list of things you were thinking of getting and at the point was going to make a comment myself, only reading further did I notice you had already bought the parts. It was probably a genuine oversight rather than suggesting you send parts back.
    If an honest oversight, no biggy. Contextually, you can see why I took at as telling me to go buy something else... NOT good form. I am all ears for anything suggesting how to get the most out of what I just bought, but nowhere did I ask or imply needing help picking my parts.

Banned
    Thanks
    • moshpit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 5800X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide C400
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • d-220mbs/u-22mbs

I was kinda expecting suggestions like what software like Core Optimizer or whatever to use with AMD Ryzen, or maybe system level tweaks that go with X570... useful stuff to somebody who just bought this list of stuff.

I see that as a reasonable expectation to post about. Again, I CLEARLY said I'm new to AMD and haven't built one in 15 years. Tweaks and tricks have to have changed. I hoped to hear some of those... instead I get told to buy something else. Screw that, I'm happy with what I bought. Suggest some tweaks to what I have or mods or even settings... don't tell me what to buy when it's already on the way and if I cared about that 2% performance difference, I would have not bought RGB ram AT ALL!!!!! Honestly... I'm not a noob, nor appreciate being treated like one when my choices are rock solid. NONE of these choices are the VERY fastest, they are what I balanced out on my budget and am looking forward to.

I have no idea what Ryzen tweakers there are out there. After the reaction here, clearly I won't find that out here.

Edit: Other things that COULD have been more helpful.. driver resources for AMD based systems or utilities focused on AMD chipsets or even PCIe 4.0 settings I might need to watch out for before booting up first time. What kind of bios tweaks need be considered or is it just run mostly defaults? Do any of the normal tweaks I use on my Intel system have similar functions in an AMD system? These seemingly obvious things, at least from the WORDING OF MY POST!

Context. I said I bought the stuff. I said I'm new to AMD. 15 years since my last AMD CPU. Context matters.
    Last edited by moshpit; 13-03-2021 at 07:00 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    • moshpit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 5800X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide C400
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • d-220mbs/u-22mbs

"Upgrade parts have been ordered. I am completely rebuilding my PC around the RTX 3090 in such a way that will maximize the performance of this ultra high end video card."

My opening sentences. First statement of already purchased.

"And I put the snag on the premium (in my eyes) chip of the bunch."

Second statement of already purchased.

"The list of parts incoming to arrive next Tuesday are as follows:"

Third statement of already purchased.

"Essentially this guts my current machine"

Forth statement, but only implying that parts are already purchased.

I had hoped that by making my newness to AMD builds clear in the second paragraph that I was looking for suggestions on how that will be different in setup from the Intel machines that by implication of the 15 years statement, has been my only experience recently. This doesn't seem to me an unfair expectation, though maybe I just need to be blunt and say "HEY! I BOUGHT THINGS! HOW I MAKE THINGS I ALREADY HAVE RUN GOOD?" Caveman speak seems appropriate after all the times I said this stuff is on it's way to me...

Edit: I must posit that a small part of the mistake in assuming that putting that much information out there was enough and people just jump to answering however they like without bothering to really read the post. I might have titled it better, in hindsight, as "Need suggestions for AMD convert from Intel" or some such, I guess. I assumed I gave enough info including 4 mentions of the purchase and the time frame since my last build of this type. In the future, I will be more direct and say "FELLOW CAVEMAN, NEED HELP WITH STRANGE NEW CPU. WHAT MAKE CPU RUN GOOD?"
    Last edited by moshpit; 13-03-2021 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks

Ok, you are repeating yourself, I understand what you are saying but you seem to be taking people's advice the wrong way. No one is saying you are a noob or even implying it. One person said one thing about the memory, that was all in regards to your build.

Personally my AMD build didn't require any real configuration, just turned on XMP for the memory and everything else was pretty much good to go from the off. Apart from the virtualization, thats normally turned off by default for amd, no idea why. And its under an option called VT-x or AMD-V or possibly SVM. Something to think about if you are going to be running any VM's

Grab the newest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer site and everything else will be updated through windows, assuming you are using windows. There are things like Ryzen master if you want to fine tune the processor

And even though it should be loaded with the drivers install the AMD Ryzen power plan
    Jon

Banned
    Thanks
    • moshpit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 5800X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide C400
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • d-220mbs/u-22mbs

Ok, you are repeating yourself, I understand what you are saying but you seem to be taking people's advice the wrong way. No one is saying you are a noob or even implying it. One person said one thing about the memory, that was all in regards to your build.

Personally my AMD build didn't require any real configuration, just turned on XMP for the memory and everything else was pretty much good to go from the off. Apart from the virtualization, thats normally turned off by default for amd, no idea why. And its under an option called VT-x or AMD-V or possibly SVM. Something to think about if you are going to be running any VM's

Grab the newest drivers from the motherboard manufacturer site and everything else will be updated through windows, assuming you are using windows. There are things like Ryzen master if you want to fine tune the processor

And even though it should be loaded with the drivers install the AMD Ryzen power plan
    My irritation wouldn't be at this level if it wasn't for the follow up insults from wazzickle which did it's best to discredit my entire reason for posting with trollish assumptions. My assumption of being trolled here is not imagined. Again, I stand by my point, it was bad form and the buddy tactics were too.

Banned
    Thanks
    • moshpit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 5800X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide C400
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • d-220mbs/u-22mbs

Oh, and thank you for some suggestions

I won't rudely ignore those, those are exactly what I'm seeking, though most of those I have in hand. What about apps like Core Optimizer or whatever? Are there not Ryzen specific programs for tweaking now?

Thanks

Ryzen Master is probably what you are looking for to tweak the processor but by and large things like core optimizer or the amd equivalent really not needed much these days. Others may have a different view but for me it was pretty much plug and play.
    Jon

16. Received thanks from:

moshpit (13-03-2021)

Banned
    Thanks
    • moshpit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 5800X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide C400
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • d-220mbs/u-22mbs

Ryzen Master is probably what you are looking for to tweak the processor but by and large things like core optimizer or the amd equivalent really not needed much these days. Others may have a different view but for me it was pretty much plug and play.
    Got it. Headed out to read up on it now, thank you!

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    Forth statement
    Fourth, not forth

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Moshpit please dont take on that sort of attitude. Some of the members here have been actively contributing and offering excellent advice for many years, and Cat is one of them.

If you post "Oh look what Im buying", you should expect at least *some* comment, either congratulating, commiserating or just offering a different viewpoint. It's a tech forum, that's what happens here, and in just about every other tech forum I am aware of.

If you don't want any advice or criticism, please don't post any "look what I am buying" type posts
    Cheers, David

20. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (13-03-2021),Scryder (14-03-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information