Thread: Help needed on monitors.....

Thanks

Help needed on monitors.....

New to the forums so please don't bite...

I am looking to buy a new 23 inch monitor and am particularly interested in the following two models:

oyyy.co.uk/product.php/89637/lg-w2361v-23-inch-tn-lcd-300cdm-2-1920-x-1080-2ms-hdmi--black-

and

oyyy.co.uk/product.php/89634/lg-w2353v-23-inch-lcd-300cdm-2--1920-x-1080-2ms-hdmi-

I am trying to work out which of these two is better. As I'm totally new to the world of monitors some help on which of these two to go for would be appreciated! Or should I consider something completely different??

Also some general monitor questions:

1. Is a TN TFT monitor better or worse than a non-TN TFT?

2. Which brand is considered best?

3. Is a 23 inch screen going to allow me to have three spreadsheets open at same time next to each other or does everything just become bigger and still take up proportionately the same space hence no real space advantage?

Many Thanks!

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Re: Help needed on monitors.....

For getting more stuff on screen at once it's the resolution that's key
    Both of thoes you listed are 1920x1080. that's 1920 pixels across by 1080 pixels high
    A pixel is basically the smallest dot your screen can make.
    to give you a rough idea check what your current resolution is, right click on an empty area of your desktop, select propities
    That will open a window called "Display propities" click on the settings tab and there should be a bit called Screen resolution, that will be what your current resolution is.

The physical size of a pixel is dependent on the screen size and resolution.
    eg generally 17" and 19" screens have the same resolution but the 19" is bigger, same number of pixels just each pixel is slightly larger.

Spec wise thoes two monitors are basically the same.
    Brand is often misleading as very few actually make the LCD panels and different models/panels are often more important.

The main types of LCD panel are
    TN
    WPA
    IPS

TN tend to be the cheapest and most common, older TN panels where not so good, newer ones are far better, the visable angles are the smallest of all 3 types. Newer TN panels tend to has a decent horisontal viewing angle but smaller vertical viewing angle.

WPS, have become fairly rare now, they were middle of the road, not excelling in any one area but not being very weak in any one area ether.

IPS, are the highest quality panels, widest viewing angle, best colour reproduction and most expensive.

Viewing angle = the futher away from looking stright on leads to colour and/or contrast shifts.

So it does depend on what you want it for, generally speaking I find viewing angles not to be a major problem with pc monitors as if you set it up correctly then you're looking stright at it any way.
    Colour repoduction is most important if you're doing things where it's needed, eg prepairing graphics for printing.

For general office type work, almost anything is fine.
    One thing I'd advise you to do is go down to pcworld/curries/dixons/etc to see some monitors in the flesh so to speack and see them working to give you a better idea of what they are like.
    (even if they don't have the models you're looking at you'll be able to see what a 23" screen at 1920x1080 looks like)

Thanks
    • geezerone's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870-UD3 (AM3)
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon II x4 640
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2x4GB) 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB and 2TB Seagate 7200.14
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair VX550
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 (64bit)
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG W2442PA-BF
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet FTTC 40/10 'Unlimited'

Welcome to the forums

You will definitely be impressed with the extra desktop space - I know I was when I got the a 24" display.

What will you be doing with the screen as the graphics card could be a limiting factor if, for instance, you are doing some fps gaming?

Everything will be displayed in proportion as long as you adjust the resolution which is better set to the native resolution of the display (1920x1080 for your examples). You will have seen that some 24" screens also have a 1920x1080 which will mean the image will appear a little bigger than the 23" screen.

The 2361V would be my choice having seen very good review (gaming wise) but if you can stretch take a look at the 2442PA.
    Anantech Benchmarking Tool for CPU, GPU and SSDs

Thanks

I'm not too sure about LG, I know Samsung are great! Dell, BenQ, Acer, Asus, the list goes on. I'm sure LG is good, but if you're going for Korean I would go for Samsung, because they make their own panels. The other company that makes its own panels is BenQ.

You should check out the new BenQ V2400 Eco.

It's LED Backlit, 24 inch, 5 ms response time, Full HD, 16:9 ratio, HDMI, etc

Here is the full list of specs:
    http://www.benq.us/products/LCD/?pro...specifications

On Oyyy it seems to be exactly the same price range as the initial 2 LG models you looked at:
    http://www.oyyy.co.uk/product.php/10...d-m2-brightne/

It's brand new, and uses new LED backlit technology, thought you'd probably be interested in newer technologies, especially if you're considering paying the same price
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 2 GB DDR2, 500GB SATA-II 7200RPM, nVidia GeForce 9800GT 512mb, BenQ E2200 HD, BenQ G2412HD, Logitech S510 Wireless set, Creative GigaWorks T3 Speakers.

Thread Information