• AMD Ryzen 5 3600 + Noctua NH-U12A Cooler
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (4X8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 512GB Sabrent Rocket M.2 NVME SSD + 3TB Toshiba P300 SATA HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8GB AMD Radeon RX 5700 - PowerColor Red Dragon
      • PSU:
      • 750W Riotoro Enigma G2 Modular PSU (Seasonic Focus Plus Gold)
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Eclipse P400A
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG UltraGear 27GL850-B - 144Hz 1440P Nano IPS
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk Fibre 76Mb

Re: A 27" Monitor for Work, PC and Xbox Gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Kirano View Post
    So far my first impression is... ZOMG!

But seriously, the screen itself looks amazing. The colours look much richer then compared to my old dell and everything is birght and crisp. I haven't even attempted any optimzing of the screen yet; I need to follow the TFTreview through and fiddle around with the settings to get it just right. Out of the box though it still looks pretty great!

As to whether 1080p goes on a 27" screen.... It looks great to me! I imagine if you had it at the normal distance you have, say, a 22inch monitor then yes, it would look a little pixelated. A screen this size benefits from being pushed back a little so you can really see all of the screen without your eyes and neck feeling uncomfortable.

One negative so far... The stand, where the monitor sockets in at the back, fills a little flimsy! :s You can easily grab the screen and wobble it a fair bit. If I grab my desk and shake that a little, the screen wobbles much more than the dell does. Despite that, it does still feel secure in the stand. And if I take the screen out of the stand and just rest it on the desk (as you can do because of how the screen is designed) it's very steady.

Also, a word of warning - when you dive under your desk late in the evening to check what connectors you have on the back of your graphics card.... hdmi slots and display port slots can look pretty similar! Especially if you have no idea what a display port looks like! Thankfully, I had a DVI to HDMI adapter at hand. There doesn't seem to have been any negative repercusions of this though so I think I'm in the clear.

Frustratingly, I have such a mind boggingly amount of work to do, all I really have time for right now is to just check that the screen works and things look okay before I hurry back to coding. I'll be taking photos of everything at the weekend (a few friends have also asked that I do a photo journal of unboxing the Halo 4 LE Console so I'll photo the monitor alongside this) and be doing some optimizing of the screen on Sunday.
    What's the anti-glare coating like on the screen? Is it noticeable (a kind of dirty/grainy look)? Have you tested it with games to see if there's any kind of motion blur/ghosting/streaking?

Cheers

Thanks
    • Kirano's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb Samsung F1, 500Gb Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 6970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP, Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC 27" 1920x1080p, Dell 22inch 1920X1080
      • Internet:
      • Generally okay, occasionally rubbish!

Quote Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
    What's the anti-glare coating like on the screen? Is it noticeable (a kind of dirty/grainy look)? Have you tested it with games to see if there's any kind of motion blur/ghosting/streaking?

Cheers
    Yikes! I'm so sorry for not replying to this sooner PowerPie!

Tbh though, I don't know at all about the anti-glare coating. It's doesn't look grainy/dirty - it looks a very clean image. Though I've only ever had two monitors in my life, so I may not have enough comparison. I haven't noticed any motion blur but, again, I may not be very 'tuned' to it...

In general, I would say it's a pretty good screen! At first I was concerned that there was a bit of a bright 'glow' in the bottom left but, upon pushing the screen back a little bit more, the colours and light levels become a lot more even. They're great in fact. I think you do need to have it set further back to get the most from it and I think that's more a factor of it being such a big screen than a problem with the screen itself.

I'm very much happy with my purchase! I've been merrily playing xbox and pc games on it and watching blu-rays and the quality of the picture is fantastic. It's so much more immersive.

Let me know what screen you decide to go for in the end. A part of me is still contemplating making enquiries about the bright glow, just in case it's an imperfection in the screen itself and it's worth RMA'ing... it's just that I've gotten so used to having the extra screen and having more stuff upon at once, I don't know if I could go back to just the one! :s

Thanks
    • Kirano's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 6970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Boss402 View Post
    asus vg278he
    Unfortunately Boss402, you're a little late to the party! Thanks for your input though.
    The Asus is an interesting suggestion; I had wondered about getting a higher refresh rate screen/one that has 3D. I don't have an Nvidia graphics card however and with the increased price tag, I don't think it's worth it. The AOC one I eventually settled for has worked out great tbh, and that was over £100 cheaper!

Registered+
    Thanks

I got a Benq GW2750HM and I absolutely love it. No dead pixels and images look great.

Here's a review I found useful: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2750hm.htm

Though please note that I was looking for something in the low price range, so maybe for your budget you could do better. It's just a great value option. Also, 1080p at 27" is fine for me because I have slightly poor eyesight.

Thanks
    • Kirano's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 6970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Thanks for your input tre_peter, that does look like a good monitor for the money! I settled on the AOC monitor mentioned earlier in the thread though - sorry, this thread was resurrected by a new member grinding for free scan delivery over the weekend! I agree with you on 1080p for 27" front though my eyesight is okay (well, I have glasses, but with them my eyesight is fine) The visual quality on my screen is just fantastic!

@Mods, Admins etc... Is there a way I can mark this thread as resolved?

Registered+
    Thanks

I currently have the ASUS VE278Q, very good monitor but I find it to large, I am considering a downgrade to a 24inch Dell Ultrasharp.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tre_peter View Post
    I got a and I absolutely love it. No dead pixels and images look great.

Here's a review I found useful:

Though please note that I was looking for something in the low price range, so maybe for your budget you could do better. It's just a great value option. Also, 1080p at 27" is fine for me because I have slightly poor eyesight.
    Can someone recommend a 24" gaming monitor that's as similar as possible to the benq gw2750? The specs are exactly what I'm looking for and the reviews are great but it's a little pricey for me at 27". I'm looking at Dell's 2412M but it seems that it's lacking in terms of its response time of 8ms.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information