Thread: I want a triple monitor setup...

Registered+
    Thanks

I want a triple monitor setup...

...and was looking into buying three of these:

23" AOC I2353FH IPS HD Monitor 2xHDMI with Silver Bezel

I also plan to use AMD Eyefinity.

Are there any potential issues I should be aware of? I want to do some gaming but mostly just want to multitask by having a video play on one monitor while I work on another while having Facebook run on the third. Bit of a silly reason and a housemate of mine just shakes his head when I mention it, but yea...Also, I want to use Adobe CS6 a lot. I am a fan of AOC as I bought one of their monitors before and was more than content, plus they are a top choice brand when going by Maplin.

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Re: I want a triple monitor setup...

I assume your graphics card is Eyefinity capable?

Just in case you've got a card with 3 outputs which doesn't actually support the tech. It's also worth mentioning that you may need displayport -> hdmi adapters, as the monitor doesn't have displayport and to my recollection the Eyefinity cards don't necessarily have 3*HDMI outputs. If it has say 2*DVI and 1*HDMI you'll be fine, but you'll still need 2 DVI->HDMI adapters.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    I assume your graphics card is Eyefinity capable?

Just in case you've got a card with 3 outputs which doesn't actually support the tech. It's also worth mentioning that you may need displayport -> hdmi adapters, as the monitor doesn't have displayport and to my recollection the Eyefinity cards don't necessarily have 3*HDMI outputs. If it has say 2*DVI and 1*HDMI you'll be fine, but you'll still need 2 DVI->HDMI adapters.
    It's an AMD card so I assumed as much. Don't all the mid to high range AMD cards do Eyefinity? It's this one by the way. I also plan to buy two of these so I guess I'm fine, right? My two PC gaming housemates don't have DisplayPorts on their machines. They have a GeForce GTX 570 and a GeForce GTX 560. When did DisplayPorts come along? Are they superior to HDMI and DVI?

Thanks
    • GeorgeStorm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77IA-E53
      • CPU:
      • i5 3450
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 1866mhz C10
      • Storage:
      • 256gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX780
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Parvum mitx
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2711 + U2311H

I would be tempted to buy 1/2 higher res screens.

I run a U2711 @ 2560x1440 and a U2311H @ 1080x1920 (portrait) and it's great, for both gaming, watching films and work.
    3 screens involves a lot of head turning which may not be ideal.

If you're set on an Eyefinity setup then you card should work fine, Display Port is a newer connection, with more potential than HDMI, DVI, VGA etc, but at the moment isn't very common.

5. Received thanks from:

Walltricker (23-01-2013)

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Walltricker View Post
    It's an AMD card so I assumed as much. Don't all the mid to high range AMD cards do Eyefinity? It's this one by the way. I also plan to buy two of these so I guess I'm fine, right? My two PC gaming housemates don't have DisplayPorts on their machines. They have a GeForce GTX 570 and a GeForce GTX 560. When did DisplayPorts come along? Are they superior to HDMI and DVI?
    I think DP is a non-commercial alternative to HDMI, and it is meant to be superior. Some cards, i.e. the Eyefinity 6 5870 had only displayport, presumably because the connector is so much smaller, and hence you needed DP adapters or DP monitors.

And after googling for a bit, it looks like you will need to use the displayport sockets - I felt like that was the case.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/techn...x#hdmi-vga-dvi

What are the basic requirements for connecting multiple displays?
    Connecting multiple monitors for AMD Eyefinity technology couldn’t be simpler. There are four easy rules to remember:

The first two monitors can connect to the graphics card with any display output on your product: HDMI, VGA, DVI or DisplayPort.
    The third (or greater) display must be connected to the graphics card via DisplayPort.
    If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an inexpensive active DisplayPort adapter for it. DVI to DP adapters can be had for less than $30 USD
    Every family of GPUs supports a different maximum number of displays.
    It may be that this information doesn't apply to your specific card, apparently some vendors have engineered their cards to avoid those restrictions, but you'll need to check the manual.

7. Received thanks from:

Walltricker (23-01-2013)

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for all the information guys, but it seems that after posting the link to my future monitors, they are now out of stock. That's just rude! I'll try to find out if a DisplayPort is mandatory for a third monitor but I hope not. Also, my housemate has a 2560x1440 monitor and it is pretty gorgeous and also cheaper than buying three monitors but I simply love the idea of having three monitors! I am stuck in my ways like that.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Even if the displayport is mandatory, you can still use an adapter, but DP inputs would be lovely. Don't think there are many out there though.

This one is a real beauty, but not cheap: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/23-de...-m2-4-port-usb

Ignoring the DP issue, this looks like a real bargain: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/22-lg...cd-m-5ms-black

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Even if the displayport is mandatory, you can still use an adapter, but DP inputs would be lovely. Don't think there are many out there though.

This one is a real beauty, but not cheap: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/23-de...-m2-4-port-usb

Ignoring the DP issue, this looks like a real bargain: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/22-lg...cd-m-5ms-black
    Indeed, not many out there seemingly. Plus, DisplayPort adapters are pretty expensive in comparison. I am already hitting my limit with those AOC monitors I linked to, unfortunately, so the Dell is out of the question. LG has annoyed me in the past, so I'll just be sticking with my monitor choice. Thank you for the tips, however! The only issue we have identified is that the third monitor may require the use of a DisplayPort. I can live with that!

Thread Information