Thread: Aoc q2963pm

Thanks

Aoc q2963pm

I know a few people were interested in this screen at one point, so I'd just thought I'd chuck a thread up for it.
    It's around the £260 mark from Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and others. For an ultrawide screen with an IPS panel, that seems like a bargain. I jumped in and got one.

Now I wasn't expecting a perfect screen for the price...but it was pretty bad. I'm going to put my hands up and say that I'm a bit fussy with my screens - I've never really liked TFT's as a technology, so I do tend to pick up on flaws (if you perceive them as such) more than others.
    So, in no particular order:

The build quality was laughable. Really bad. The bezel at the top of my screen was already coming away from the panel. It was similar at the bottom, but not as bad. The plastic was quite cheap all over. The stand squeaked badly and clicked when pressed. The quality of the stand was okay, but wobbled easily.

The anti-glare coating was too much. It was at the point that it diffused the image. I actually prefer glossy screens, even though my current 2 are anti-glare. This was by far one of the worst I've seen. In areas that had pixels of rapidly changing colour across a row, they looked like they merged in some cases.

The 2560x1080 didn't work. I mean really didn't work. The 1080 pixels was way too few. Text looked bad and didn't have sharpness to it. It's hard to describe, but the screen desperately needed more vertical pixels. Even my dell 2450 has 1200px, which looked much better with text.

Dead pixels - luck of the draw, but 3 dead, 3 sub pixels dead. Ouch.

Speakers - Should have just left them off. Utterly pointless. Poundland speakers are better.

The most serious issue? Input lag. It was close to 100ms, which is insane. It was interfering with the work I was doing - image editing, 3D work and even dragging windows from one screen to another (as one had very little input lag). Truly horrible.

And finally.....it lasted under a day. Going from the Amazon reviews I'm not the only one. It made a very weird sound, shortly followed by the 'magic smoke smell' and it was dead. Gone. No power light at all. I wanted to pull the back off to see what component has blew, but screw it, I wasn't risking the warranty.

Amazon collected the next day and refunded a day after that. Top marks to them.

Can't recommend this one guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

Re: Aoc q2963pm

lets hope the new 34" isn't like this!!!

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Eek. I know AOC are probably considered a 'price conscious' brand, but that screen sounds awful! My previous two screens have been HP & Dell, and although not perfect (the Dell in particular has some quite bad back-light bleeding), the quality of the screens was good (with no dead pixels, too). I agree with you about TFT technology though. At its best it can be excellent...but when it's bad, it's really bad!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silent View Post
    lets hope the new 34" isn't like this!!!
    I really hope it turns out great

Thread Information