Thread: Questions about monitors with HMDI in and audio out, but no speakers

Registered+
    Thanks

Question Questions about monitors with HMDI in and audio out, but no speakers

Just a couple quick questions, if I've got a monitor with a HDMI connection and audio out, but no built in speakers, is that monitor just stripping the audio from the HDMI and putting it to audio out? And would the sound quality from the audio out be dependent on the device or the monitor? For example, if I've got a PS4 hooked up to a monitor like that and then I plug my PC speakers into the audio out, is the sound quality dependent on the monitor or the PS4?

As a side note, does anyone have any monitor recommendations for such a situation? A monitor for PC and console gaming that'll sound good when a PS4 is hooked up to it, around 24" priced between £150-£200?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Re: Questions about monitors with HMDI in and audio out, but no speakers

There will be no loss over the HDMI cable, but the monitor might make a difference in a number of ways.

The signal will take a path like this PS4 (digital source) > Monitor (still unmodified digital) > DAC (inside monitor, conversion to analogue) > Amp (may or may not be inside monitor).

The DAC, amplifier and supporting circuitry can have an impact on sound quality. If the monitor output claims to be 'line out' then it will probably be a non-amplified output with no volume control. However if it's a headphone port and has a volume control, it probably has an internal amp.

Line-out with just the DAC would probably be the best option for self-amplified PC speakers, and the setup I suspect your monitor will use. TBH I'm not too sure what the DAC quality would be like on monitors but unless you're after a fairly expensive audio setup it should be fine. If not, it looks like another option would be to utilise the optical out port on the PS4.

3. Received thanks from:

Ragamuffin86 (02-08-2014)

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Questions about monitors with HMDI in and audio out, but no speakers

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    There will be no loss over the HDMI cable, but the monitor might make a difference in a number of ways.

The signal will take a path like this PS4 (digital source) > Monitor (still unmodified digital) > DAC (inside monitor, conversion to analogue) > Amp (may or may not be inside monitor).

The DAC, amplifier and supporting circuitry can have an impact on sound quality. If the monitor output claims to be 'line out' then it will probably be a non-amplified output with no volume control. However if it's a headphone port and has a volume control, it probably has an internal amp.

Line-out with just the DAC would probably be the best option for self-amplified PC speakers, and the setup I suspect your monitor will use. TBH I'm not too sure what the DAC quality would be like on monitors but unless you're after a fairly expensive audio setup it should be fine. If not, it looks like another option would be to utilise the optical out port on the PS4.
    OK, thanks for the answers!

Thread Information