Thread: Is it worth upgrading

Thanks

Is it worth upgrading

Hi..got given an xbox s from Christmas bit of a surprise. Have to play on a monitor mostly . I've currently got a 7 year old dell mt2220mc which I'm using via an hdmi to vga adapter. just wondering if people would recommend the upgrade of a new monitor? I used the monitor for the first time this morning as opposed to the screen and the colours were no where near as bright and some of the dark areas werent displayed as clear but only minor issue really still playable. what monitor would peope move to? Looking for @ about 24 inch in size..ive seen an Asus 248Hr on the scan website for 117 which sounds decent. Any thoughts?

Thank you

Permanently confused

Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z170 Pro Gamer ATX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz 4 core
      • Memory:
      • Corsair VPX 3000 DDR4 (16, 4*4)
      • Storage:
      • 500gb 850 Evo sata3 SSD, 2*2TB Green 5900 Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 390 8gb
      • PSU:
      • toughpower 1kw
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z3 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • VIEWSONIC VG2401MH 144hz (Solid)
      • Internet:
      • Origin ADSL Broadband, not really recommended.

Re: Is it worth upgrading

Certainly upgrade the monitor. You would look for 1080p IPS 24" as a minimum (probably), if you want to get fancy maybe 1440p higher refresh and perhaps freesync to future proof you.

If budget is an issue there should be many second hand panels out there that will provide a good experience.
    : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>not quite

how do you spend your time online? (Hexus link)

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • i5 4690K @stock
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX100 512GB, 2TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12G-550
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 150 mb fibre

Is the monitor also connected to a computer, or are you just looking for a screen for the xbox? If you're just looking to run the xbox through it then a TV would probably be a fair bit cheaper, while still meeting your needs. No point in freesync or high refresh rate, and not a huge point in higher resolutions than 1080p - the xbox s will only render 1080p in games, and AFAIK there's no difference to video streaming (netflix et al) until you make the jump to 4k

Thanks

Thanks both, Yeah the monitor is connected up to my PC as well. The Mrs hogs the TV and i have my PC and xbox. I wasn't expecting an 'S' so just got an adapter to change HMDI to VGA.
    Price and size is the deciding factor really don't have room for anything massive but only game on the console the PC is just for Office general browsing and storing music etc very general not very intensive .

If i could get a 4k monitor for a decent price than i'll probably go for it. Just realised I've been looking at scan and mistaken the prices for the 4k stuff. I'm completely out of touch with tech these days so a bit over whelmed with what to go for.

Thanks
    Last edited by zulander; 11-01-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Permanently confused

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    Hi..got given an xbox s from Christmas bit of a surprise. Have to play on a monitor mostly . I've currently got a 7 year old dell mt2220mc which I'm using via an hdmi to vga adapter. just wondering if people would recommend the upgrade of a new monitor? I used the monitor for the first time this morning as opposed to the screen
    Which screen? It sounds like whatever it is it's got more contrast than your monitor.

I wouldn't be inclined to upgrade your current screen (I guess it's an ST2220M?) to another cheap model right now. There are a few interesting technologies that'll show up in entry level screens in the next couple of years like variable refresh rate support on consoles and wide gamut support via HDR.

Thanks
    • Lord Midas's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256&120GB SSD & Kingston 40GB SSDNOW+ & WD Green 2TB & 2 x Sammy 750GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HW620w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UM88 Ultrawide 34" WQHD and LG Flatron 22"
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2

I got an Xbox One X on launch. This is downstairs under my 4K telly. Which is all lovely.

I moved my Xbox One S upstairs to join my gaming rig. It's now connected to my LG 34UM88 Ultrawide 34" monitor. The resolution is 3440x1440, and though games on the Xbox stretch slightly to accommodate the extra screen real-estate, it still looks lovely.

Plus, with a screen like this using the PC is a pleasure. PC games utilise the resolution correctly, and is totally immersive. And browsing/work usage is much better on an ultrawide monitor. Once you go wide, you won't go back!!

This might not be the best WQHD monitor (that'd probably be the Acer Predator - which comes with the near £1,000 price tag), but for Xbox and Widescreen gaming it's pretty sweet.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/34-l...v20-thunde?v=c
    Kickstarters Pledged:
    Godus Stonehearth Rain World Satellite Reign

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    Which screen? It sounds like whatever it is it's got more contrast than your monitor.

I wouldn't be inclined to upgrade your current screen (I guess it's an ST2220M?) to another cheap model right now. There are a few interesting technologies that'll show up in entry level screens in the next couple of years like variable refresh rate support on consoles and wide gamut support via HDR.
    Yeah the ST220m it what I have think its labelled as st220mt but same thing. I remember just after i got it on some kind of trade-in-your-old monitor deal it got 1 star review form somewhere like PC Pro but its been fine for me but it can struggle with dark games a bit, have to bump settings to get things viewable, skyrim and shadows of mordor are two it struggles with i think.

Interesting info thanks - i was tempted with ASUS VS248HR 24" Full HD 1ms Gaming Monitor - right size and not breathtakingly expensive but maybe i should wait awhile

Cheers all

Permanently confused

Thread Information