• Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Re: Mahoosive workstation display

I've swung back round to the slightly naff Philips 40". Comparing 3440x1440 to 3840x2160 is actually a significant difference in vertical resolution height (which I want for work). But I'd need to keep a 23" 1080p monitor for gaming - and then desk space is really a problem, especially with a 40" whopper in the way!

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Ah nuts. I thought I was there, as with the 40" display that's no good for gaming, I thought I'd get a new 23" display on an arm for gaming. One of these high frame-rate 1080p jobbies - oh but wait, they don't exist. The only high refresh rate monitors you can get are TN or VA, with the latter getting the black streaks that the 40" does, and the former just being totally rubbish. I wanted a 120Hz GSync IPS monitor, 1080p 23" to accompany it - but nope.

Seems gamers these days like to to have to move their head around to see what's on screen.

So maybe I'm back to the X34p ultrawide, and accept that I'm not going to get vertical resolution I want - but I do worry about 3440x1440 and what level of graphics card I need to run that, and how utterly silly the cost of graphics cards are these days.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by Dashers View Post
    Ah nuts. I thought I was there, as with the 40" display that's no good for gaming, I thought I'd get a new 23" display on an arm for gaming. One of these high frame-rate 1080p jobbies - oh but wait, they don't exist. The only high refresh rate monitors you can get are TN or VA, with the latter getting the black streaks that the 40" does, and the former just being totally rubbish. I wanted a 120Hz GSync IPS monitor, 1080p 23" to accompany it - but nope.

Seems gamers these days like to to have to move their head around to see what's on screen.

So maybe I'm back to the X34p ultrawide, and accept that I'm not going to get vertical resolution I want - but I do worry about 3440x1440 and what level of graphics card I need to run that, and how utterly silly the cost of graphics cards are these days.
    Prices have started dropping back down to sensible-ish levels. It all depends how high you want to turn everything up, but I would suggest 1070/1080 level performance would be sufficient.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

You can get a 1070 for £330 at the moment on overclockers. I'd personally want to go for a 1080 for Vega 64 for that screen. Downside is 1080 is a very old platform. Examining price / performance ratios (using lowest price and aggregated benches) you get 0.30 for the 1070 and 0.26 for both the 1080 and Vega64. This makes the latter the best buy for me as the price / performance is very close to the (currently on offer) 1070 but is a much newer platform.

As is always the way I'd wait to see what effect Nvidia's new release has on the market. Then I'd not plump for the 10XX series as they're so old the driver support won't last long. I'd either get the new RTX card or a Vega64. The reason I'm not including the Vega56 is the price/performance isn't as good.

I'm expecting the new cards to be released at very high prices, meaning they don't have to drop the prices of the existing 10XX stock much, if at all as they have a load of excess stock and it'll make those prices seem reasonable whilst gouging first in line buyers. The wildcard will be what AMD do. Given they have the newer platform and prices are finally coming down, I'd be tempted to go with them if the scenario above plays out.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I'm expecting the new cards to be released at very high prices, meaning they don't have to drop the prices of the existing 10XX stock much, if at all as they have a load of excess stock and it'll make those prices seem reasonable whilst gouging first in line buyers. The wildcard will be what AMD do. Given they have the newer platform and prices are finally coming down, I'd be tempted to go with them if the scenario above plays out.
    I think you're right here, certainly in the short term Nvidia isn't going to cannibalise its sales lower down the market when they have an audience as hungry as they do.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Agreed on the pricing, the 2000 series is going to be crazy to try and clear the channels. That said, I think I'll try and last until "black friday" or boxing day sales to get a X34P, as they're serious money.

I've got twin 970 at the moment, apart from memory capacity becoming an issue at 1440p, there isn't any point in changing card at the moment. I'd have to go to a 1080ti to get a noticeable impact on performance, or SLI 1070s etc. I normally buy in pretty early on to minimise the time my kit is obsolete for, but with the pricing at the moment, I can see the 2000 series being over inflated for a while. At if the same thing happens with these for miners, then well, might as well give up on new games...

Monitor choice really does suck; mostly variations on a theme - which is understandable as there are only a few different types of panels. I was quite surprised about the lack of quality monitors in the 24" and below space, who wants to have to look around in a game? And who wants less than 96dpi?

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Well Black Friday is here, and I didn't get an X34P or even a Z35P. I bought the Philips 40" 4K one.

In the last couple of months, I've come to the conclusion, a lot of games, especially shooters and what not, I don't want to play on anything bigger than 23" at a desk, and at that size HD is the perfect resolution. So one super massive display for work, and one smaller display for games should do me down to the T.

Problem I have now is where to stick it all. I was thinking about monitor arms, but the ones I've looked at so far don't give you much flexibility on a 40" display!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information