• Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Idiot radar required

Guten tag mein dudes.

My missus wants my monitor as we've confirmed it's perfect for her use case and does what she wants it to do. She's giving me £200 which I think is pretty reasonable given it's a year old and the price I paid for it. When I got it, I was short on cash and needed a new monitor as my old one was dying (it was ~10 years old) and so got what I could afford but missed out on some key features... like Freesync.

Now I'm not having to run two houses I have some money to spare and would really rather like a 4K monitor (more for media rather than for gaming). I'm going IPS as I want colour accuracy and I'd rather like HDR support and Freesync. This is a big shopping list and I accept compromises will have to be made in that FALD isn't going to happen as aren't high refresh rates.

So, I've gone for a fairly small panel given the 4K resolution at 27" and that's partly because I expect that at some point I'll have to drop gaming resolution down or spend more than I want to on a GPU earlier than I want to spend it, and the smaller panel will minimise the effect of that to some degree. Freesync is present on the monitor I'm looking at but it's Freesync 1 and I don't think there's any LFRC. It has HDR and it is said to be rather good but I doubt it's on the level of proper HDR panels costing ~£1K. The colour accuracy is said to be good in reviews however there is always the possibility that the review sample was cherry picked.

There are three versions of this monitor, the 600, 650 and 850. The differences as I can see are the 600 is utterly basic, the 650 has an adjustable height stand (important for me) and the 850 has USB-C for the Mac user. There may also be some speaker variation which I don't care about. I'm planning on the 650 model.

I would appreciate it if people would have a gander and see if there's anything I'm being utterly idiotic about or overlooking? £429 seems very good value for an IPS 4K monitor with many bells and whistles and it seems as though the reviewers are very keen on it. If anyone can see a reason for me being stupid in choosing this, please don't hold back.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0798QLW64

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Idiot radar required

I can't help on the 4k front. I'm still 1080p, but I can say that I've always found tftcentral.co.uk to be an excellent website for IPS and similar quality panels with very in depth reviews. They test everything against the same metrics which I find helps me do my own comparisons rather than just someone's opinion on the day. Hope it helps.

edit - ooh that was post 4999, I feel like the next post needs to be something very significant...!!!

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    I can't help on the 4k front. I'm still 1080p, but I can say that I've always found tftcentral.co.uk to be an excellent website for IPS and similar quality panels with very in depth reviews. They test everything against the same metrics which I find helps me do my own comparisons rather than just someone's opinion on the day. Hope it helps.

edit - ooh that was post 4999, I feel like the next post needs to be something very significant...!!!
    Ah great, yeh I'll have a gander.

I suggest your 5000th post consists of one single word. "Poopies".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post

You've seen the light and are now firmly a Brexiteer?

/Okay, I'll just get my hat and coat.

// Right, so which wag hid them in the compost heap?

Sorry, Phil, no idea about the monitor.

Banned
    Thanks

Idiot radar required

Thereshallbewings is exactly like i typed it... but after the B, all the other keys act like in-game...i have a few scripts i would like to try, but im getting desperate... Ive even reinstalled the game two times, restarted a new game time after time.... nothing works. help

Thread Information