Thread: Monitor 27" 1440p TN Gaming monitor

Registered+
    Thanks

Question Monitor 27" 1440p TN Gaming monitor

Currently using a BenQ XL2411 144p 1080 panel, however, I'll be using a GPU that won't have a DVI so I'll only have the supported 60Hz+ options. So, I'm looking at upgrading to a 27/28" 1440p panel, preferably with Freesync and 75Hz+.

I've done some research on monitors but the range seems quite overwhelming. As the budget end (~£170) models seem to have quality assurance issues, and I'm not sure I fancy playing the lottery with them, I'm looking for something in the £250-£325 region.

Hardware Unboxed has suggested Pixio 27" (UK electriQ 27") and other reviewers have strongly suggested the similarly featured Ebuyer EG 27" OEM panel. But for my budget my current preference is edging towards the Dell S2719DGF.

I'm wondering if anyone owns something in this range, or has some good suggestions? I'm not 100% sold on needing 75Hz+, would choose a better display with reasonable response times over it.

Edit: Scan currently have this Acer Nitro on offer which is very tempting. Opinions on Acer panels?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by lemonsqueezy; 06-07-2019 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Monitor 27" 1440p TN Gaming monitor

Freesync works better with a decent (highest refresh rate at least 2.5x more than the low refresh rate) range as it allows low framerate compensation to work if the game ever stutters down to very low frame rates. So if you are after image quality as a high priority then over 75Hz might not be a biggie, but for gaming it is useful.

Registered+
    Thanks

Only review that you can find of that monitor is pretty negative, with bad build quality, dead pixels, dirt under the panel. Also pretty much all similar models from acer (the 144hz 1080p and 144hz 1440p IPS) suffer from backlight bleed, so this one might have it too.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lemonsqueezy View Post
    Hardware Unboxed has suggested Pixio 27" (UK electriQ 27") and other reviewers have strongly suggested the similarly featured Ebuyer EG 27" OEM panel.
    The only 27" ebuyer monitor I can see is a 144hz TN panel whereas the Pixio/electriq one is a 95hz IPS panel.

I am looking at the electriq one myself as the feature set and price would be ideal for me but I am concerned that the OSD seems very dumbed down compared to the Pixio version. It also has one fewer hdmi ports which again suggests a lower specced version even if the panel is the same.

Registered+
    Thanks

Maybe they've discontinued it. I actually ended up going with the MSI Curved 27" MAG271CQR - managed to grab it during an Ebay voucher at ~£250. Very impressed with it thus far, even for a VA panel it seems very smooth response wise. Would recommend it, but probably going to be hard to find it at that price.

6. Received thanks from:

DanceswithUnix (16-08-2019)

Registered+
    Thanks

Those seem to be going for almost £400 now. Unfortunately out of my price range.

How do you find the 'curve'? Curved monitors seem to be more common now but not having used one I am not sure how I would get on with it.

Registered+
    Thanks

i went for the Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD-EK 27 Monitor very pleased with it to be honest

Thread Information