Thread: Curved Ultrawide or 16:9 1440p display?

Thanks

Curved Ultrawide or 16:9 1440p display?

I currently have the LG 27GL850 on pre-order which is the monitor that LG markets as a 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS display with a 1ms gtg response time. As of today Amazon are selling the ASUS XG35VQ and BenQ EX3501R for £480 and £495 respectively. The LG monitor that I pre-ordered costs £450.

I have only ever used a cheap TN panel and so I have no experience when it comes to choosing what features are worth it. My question is, is it worth sacrificing the the 144Hz refresh rate, shorter response time (which is apparently true according to a chinese review on youtube) and 98% DCI-P3 coverage for the curved ultrawide form factor and better contrast ratios that come with the ASUS and BenQ monitors. I am an engineering student at the moment so in terms of my work I do cad and a lot of typing, whether that be in matlab, excel or word; I will also be getting into 3D animations in the near future. Outside of university work I game a decent amount and watch a lot of movies and tv shows, at the moment I am currently playing single player games like the witcher 3, hitman 2 and gta v, I shall also be getting cyberpunk 2077 in the future and I shall be getting back into playing csgo.

Probably worth mentioning that I am currently using a 1080 Ti as my GPU. So if you guys were in my position, which monitor would you choose and why?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Curved Ultrawide or 16:9 1440p display?

Where will you be doing most of your work?

I think the increased real estate of the ultra-wides will be better for working, but if the setup at somewhere else where you will actually do most of your work is different then it can be a little annoying.

I'm not sure how accurate colour profiling is to you, but that's also something to be aware of if moving between different work places - and in this case wide-colour gamuts can be more of a headache as they don't always map well to the more common sRGB.

If I was in your position I'd wait for reviews before ordering at all, certainly don't pre-order.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Where will you be doing most of your work?

I think the increased real estate of the ultra-wides will be better for working, but if the setup at somewhere else where you will actually do most of your work is different then it can be a little annoying.

I'm not sure how accurate colour profiling is to you, but that's also something to be aware of if moving between different work places - and in this case wide-colour gamuts can be more of a headache as they don't always map well to the more common sRGB.

If I was in your position I'd wait for reviews before ordering at all, certainly don't pre-order.
    I don't think it would be too much of a problem switching, I'll mainly be switching between the monitor and my laptop. I guess my main questions are how are curved displays when viewing 16:9 content, can the curve be annoying? Is the difference between 100hz and 144hz noticeable to a great extent? Does the curve negatively affect working in cad and 3ds max? Does 3ds max even utilise the wider colour gamut? How much ghosting do the curved displays suffer from?

Thanks

I guess I also want to know your opinion on which monitor you would choose between the two curved monitors I listed earlier and the AOC Agon AG352UCG6 which is £560?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by PANTHERR View Post
    I guess my main questions are how are curved displays when viewing 16:9 content, can the curve be annoying?
    Your eyes will adjust.

Is the difference between 100hz and 144hz noticeable to a great extent?
    I can't answer that for you. I wouldn't notice enough of a difference personally.

Does the curve negatively affect working in cad and 3ds max?
    Your eyes will adjust, so no, but see earlier point about swapping between monitors.

Does 3ds max even utilise the wider colour gamut?
    Yes, it can.

How much ghosting do the curved displays suffer from?
    The same as non-curved. They all look pretty standard for VA displays.

I guess I also want to know your opinion on which monitor you would choose between the two curved monitors I listed earlier and the AOC Agon AG352UCG6 which is £560?
    I'd have to look at the reviews for yourself, I'm not sure there's much benefit going for the more expensive one now that you can do standard adaptive sync on nvidia cards as well.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by PANTHERR View Post
    I guess my main questions are how are curved displays when viewing 16:9 content, can the curve be annoying? Is the difference between 100hz and 144hz noticeable to a great extent? How much ghosting do the curved displays suffer from?
    I went from 144 to 120 and thought the 120hz monitor was better.
    I had no ghosting at all on my Acer X34P (IPS).
    When viewing 16:9 content you will get black side bars, didnt bother me.
    And bars on the top bottom also dont bother me when its the other way round.
    In the same way a notch on my phone doesnt bother me either.
    Finally being able to view a large scale film the way it was meant to be was worth it, but not essential

I now hate non curved monitors since using my X34P, but since coming out of home computing now, I've no longer got it, sad times.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

The honest answer is it depends very much on what features you want and what you want to do with it. Gaming is a very different use case to productivity, which is again different to watching movies/youtube.

As of today, there are no ultra wide monitors I would personally consider that are under £2000...and I am not willing to spend £2000 on a monitor The closest I can get is the Acer X34p that AGTDenton has, which is a brilliant screen but lacks HDR, which is a must-have for me on my next monitor upgrade. I have come very close to buying an X34p on many occasions when it's on offer for £850 or so, but I keep having to tell myself to wait

You can get a good quality, IPS 16:9 display with HDR support for around £500-£600, and imo unless you really need the extra width (or you have 2 grand to spend..) then I would stil wtih 16:9 for now. Give it another 12 months until we start to see sensible pricing appear.

I would buy the LG - reviews are now out and its good..really good. its literally 1/4 the price of the equivalent ultrawide verison.

Registered+
    Thanks

Last year I picked up the electriQ 35" Curved WQHD 100Hz 2k monitor for around £330.

For that price I think it's an absolute steal. People seem to generally pay almost twice that for the same spec. Very happy with the quality of mine!

Registered+
    Thanks

ones you ultrawide there is no way back, gaming is a total different experience

Registered+
    Thanks
    • neojay's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @4.5
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 64gb SSD, 3TB Disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7950 @ 1ghz core
      • PSU:
      • OCZ 750watt
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9
      • Operating System:
      • WIn7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Phillips 24" LED
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 50mb

I recently picked up the LG850 but getting ultra wide envy from a friend... Must not upgrade.

Registered+
    Thanks

got exact same monitor
    ones you try hight refresh rate ultrawide there is no way back

Thread Information