Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RS482-M BIOS temp issues

Registered+
    Thanks

RS482-M BIOS temp issues

Do ECS plan to release a fixed BIOS for the RS482-M like they did for the RS480-M? See this thread;

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=47856

This is a sweet little board, but my Venice is running 25-30C hotter (reportedly) than it was before in other boards.

It's quite simply not getting that hot, the HSF is cool to touch even after thermal shutdown is invoked by BIOS. (I've already replaced the stock cooler just to try out that theory, but even that worked OK) It is annoying, but I don't want to run without this option enabled - I've done this and it runs just fine but what is the point of the temp sensor if it is wildly inaccurate?

Also, ECS need to at least acknowledge receipt of tech e-mail from the UK site. I've sent several without response over the past few weeks - Gigabyte responded to similar queries with solutions inside 12 hours.

Thanks
    Hi,

I haven't heard of this issue on this board before but will look into it for you. That is a large difference and seems safe to say the BIOS is indeed reporting incorrectly as with the early RS480 BIOS.

Apologies for the lack of response from our Tech support email address, unfortunatly although sent to the UK address these emails are directed through to Taiwan. This is due to the UK office not having direct customer support due to being a distribution center only. I will however forward your concern to our headquaters.

Thanks

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response, Jon. Good to see you're on the case.

Thanks
    Hello,

After discussion with our Headquaters in Taiwan I have been asked to obtain some more information as we have been unable to recreate the problems you are experiencing.

Could you please provide some more detail so we can verify our test setup, like CPU markings, steppings, BIOS version etc.

my Venice is running 25-30C hotter (reportedly) than it was before in other boards.
    Also if you could provide the model name, version etc of these other boards and if possible some more detail as to the tempertures experienced, cooling methods etc?

Thanks

Registered+
    Thanks
    Venice Rev E3
    ADA3000DAA4BP
    LBBLE 0519CPFW

Board is on BIOS rev. 1.0c, PCB is RS482-M Rev 1.0A

All cooled with stock AMD cooler in Retail packaging, other boards used;

ECS nForce4-A939 (RMA'ed as USB working erratically, occasional PCI-E card no output) BIOS Rev 1.0e PCB Rev 1.0
    MSI K8N Neo4-F (RMA'ed same problem with USB only) BIOS Rev 1.5 (incidentally, Rev 1.9 has been released since to 'improve comaptibility with some USB 2.0 devices') PCB Rev can't remember, sorry

Temps recorded with these boards typically 33C idle, 41C load

Temps typically recorded with this board at least 48C idle, with stock heatsink 58C upwards (to around 61C) and under load 70C - 80C (producing BIOS shutdown). I've even had the board running 'hot' for ages then quickly shutdown and released fan, the chip is only mildly warm (noticeably above ambient temp, but in no way 'hot') and it is roughly equivalent to heatsink temp to touch.

The northbridge gets warm under use and the southbridge gets 'hot' but I've no way of gauging these temps accurately. These are the only areas of the mobo to generate heat under use. I'd estimate the southbridge may reach 60C. It is definitely something you don't want to touch for too long, but you could withstand it (i.e. it does not 'burn' the skin). Relatively the northbridge would probably be in the high 40sC.

I've bought a TT Silent 939 K8 P/N: CL-P0200 fan and that has reduced the temps to the lower end of what I've said, but the NB & SB still warm up the same.

Thanks
    I have forwarded this information, thank you for the detailed response, hopefully I should have an answer for you shortly.

Thanks

Thanks
    Please see the response obtained from our headquaters below ...

After confirming, I can’t duplicate this issue.

When using AMD Athlon64 3800+ ADA3800DAA4BW Venice E6 CPU on the different M/B, the temps is similar.

RS482-M -> 46℃
    RS480-M -> 45℃
    NFORCE4-A939 -> 43℃

Would you please check to customer, does he ever test this CPU on other RS482-M M/B?
    Does the result the same on other RS482-M M/B?
    Maybe this issue is only a single case!

Registered+
    Thanks
    Hmmm, thanks............I think!

How else would I get another RS482-M other than by buying one? I am not a test station! Is it a suggestion to RMA the board?

The processor used on ECS testbed A64 3800 Rev E6 to get temps in same range, I would expect this to be drawing more power / clocked higher and therefore be hotter by design. It also does not say whether these are idle or load temps. I assume they are idle temps.

"I think your apples taste funny."
    "I can assure you sir, we have checked and our oranges are fine."

Thanks
    Aaah

It seems I sent to our headquaters with some of the information missing, namely the processor. I have resent the request with all the information, apologies for the wait, hopefully the next response will shed a little more light!

Thanks

Registered+
    Thanks
    Cheers Jon

I've hunted around the AMD website and they don't have an updated thermal spec sheet for the newer 939 chips. The one on the site currently describes 754 chips and some early 939 chips.

I'm not against high temps when they are in spec, my XP3200 Barton is running at around 60C in this (Gigabyte GA7N400-L) board, but it is on all the time and is frequently used in CPU intensive tasks. I know these chips run at this temp and I've seen XP2400 T'bred A's that run hotter!
    Last edited by winactive; 12-10-2005 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks
    Hi,

The correct tests have now been run and the problems as you stated have been recreated which shows there is indeed an issue with that particular cpu and the mbo.

I have been told that the BIOS engineers have been made aware of this and an update will be provided as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and I hope we are able to resolve it quickly.

Registered+
    Thanks
    That's great news, Jon.

At least it proves I am not going mad. Well, not over this anyway!

Thanks
    Hello,

I have just recieved reply from our headquaters with a updated BIOS which under thier test enviroment corrects the problem

If you would like to try this BIOS it can be found at http://www.ecs.uk.com/temp/S482MA19.BIN

Please let me know how you get on

Please note you do this at your own risk and following the instructions on the website for the update procedure is advisable. Thanks.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks Jon, I will try this and let you know the results ASAP.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Initial impressions are good - CPU temp now reported at 29C.

Must agree with frank2162 - the BIOS splash is in need of 'turning off'

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=56536

can't be done with MODBIN, I've looked at the BIOS in a hex editor - but it makes no sense.

Thanks
    Hello,

Glad that's sorted for you

I have put forward the suggestion about the BIOS flash screen, so fingers crossed they will do something about it shortly.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information