Thread: Sata II raid on nF4 (KN1 SLI Extreme)

Registered+
    Thanks

Sata II raid on nF4 (KN1 SLI Extreme)

Hi all
    I'm having problems with 2 x 80Gb Hitachi SataII (SataII enabled via Hitachi feature tool) h/ds connected to Sata ports 1 & 2 on this mobo.
    I have enabled Sata Raid, and raid channels 1 & 2 in bios, but after POST the machine just hangs at 'Nvidia raid bios - detecting array.....'
    I should point out that I had already successfully installed WinXP on the same 2 drives connected to SI3132 controller in Raid 0, so I know there is nothing wrong with the drives.
    I have also had single drives attached to both SI and nVidia controllers working OK.
    I am running bios version 1.1b.
    The only thing I can thik to try is setting the drives back to Sata I mode and see if this works, but I will obviously be dissapointed if this is the case.
    Any help will be much appreciated.
    Cheers

Update !! Changing to Sata I had no effect. Drives are still not detected. I have also noticed that I can't get back into the bios to disable raid until I disconnect the Hard drives.BTW I also tried Sata ports 3 & 4 (after enabling in bios) to no effect.
    Last edited by drummerboy; 21-04-2006 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks
    Please use BIOS v1.1a. This issue is already known and will be solved with the next BIOS release which will be ready for download later next week. Link:
    http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloa...uID=91&LanID=0

Registered+
    Thanks
    Jussi, thanks for that. I had just obtained an RMA for the board, but hadn't taken it back yet. I'll hang on now until the new bios then.

Thanks
    Hi drummerboy
    we just received a BIOS which fix the RAID issue. We will do some test on it today. Please send me a PM with your email then I can forward it to you if it's running well.

Registered+
    Thanks
    @Jussi

can i have a copy of the bios too? i was supposed to get sata ii but put it on hold because of these bugs i've been reading about. thanks!

Thanks
    Please check your emails.

Registered+
    Thanks
    thanks for the bios jussi. btw, what are the changes in the new bios? what's the drdflash.exe for?

again, thanks a lot!

Registered+
    Thanks
    Jussi
    Not received anything yet, but my mailbox was full yesterday because I had to send drgs from work, so it may have been rejected by NTL (only allowed 10Mb).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theDUD3
    ... what are the changes in the new bios? what's the drdflash.exe for?
    They only fixed the SATA RAID problem. The drdflash.exe is used to create a bootable floppy with DRDOS. You can also use Windows to create one but it will only have disadvantages.
    DRDFLASH will check the floppy for bad sectors. Bad sectors are deadly when updating a BIOS.
    DRDOS needs less space so you can have a 512kB BIOS file + flash utiliy on one disk.

@drummerboy
    I will resend the BIOS.

Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, I updated to v1.1b and it totally broke my computer with that darn "Detecting Array ..." message and just froze. Totally lame of ECS to release a BIOS with that problem. Was a big pain for me to downgrade back to v1.1a since I don't have a floppy drive anymore.

I think with a BIOS that faulty (and they KNOW ABOUT IT?) it should be removed from their website download section.

Thanks
    Hi Mavantix,
    Sorry for the inconvenience. I thought Taiwan will remove v1.1b and replace with v1.1C. Seems they just forgot it. I will remind them.

Thanks
    After the whole day of trouble I had going back to v1.1a, is there any good reason I should try v1.1c? Fixes for anything important?

Thanks
    Only the RAID issue is fixed with v1.1c.
    I also have v1.1a at home no problems so far. You must not have the latest version. Never change a running system.

Thread Information