Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wii's decimating the console wars

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teachmech View Post
    I'll second that everytime I play on our Wii it just screams out for some lightsabre action.
    I glad i'm not the only one, the speaker in the wii remote too.

WOOOOOOOOOOOSH WOOOOOOOOOOOSH

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung SpinPoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • LianLi something something or other
      • Monitor(s):
      • Eizo FlexScan S1910 (1280*1024)
      • Internet:
      • 2mb Virgin (when they want to give me that: else 1mb)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire01 View Post
    Nail on head comes to mind there.

With the launch of the PS3 and the 360 who were tehy targetting to buy the systems?........ gamers...
    Nintendo can't compete with that.. too much competition for such a small group so they aim for the non gamers which is an untapped market and they have free reign with no cmpetition.
    ...so their leading the way - brilliant insight, they saw the gab in the market and are capitalizing on it; good for them I say. You can bet any money that MS and Sony will follow what Nintendo have done in some shape or form in a generation or two.

Nintendo are not a small "group". You make them sound like one guy and his band of merry men - no offense intended . Their business is just far more focused on gaming than that of MS or sony (who have many areas of sale) and because of that they maybe don't get so much media coverage. Plus I get the impression their not loud mouths like MS or Sony.

Gaming IS what Nintendo are all about. Plus if they were small they wouldn't have the capacity to completely dominate the portable console market. Put simply Nintendo have been in the business long enough to be able to stick some ideas together and make great gaming consoles and more importantly give them appeal.

As for attracting "gamers" Nintendo could show both MS and Sony how it is done, had they focused on producing a "gamers" console. This time around they went for a different market which is earning them a nice profit on each console they sell. They are well setup for producing a more computationally advanced machine next time around with the funds that the wii will raise for them. If thats their strategy then I think it is genius my self.

In relation as to which is best (as posted above), what makes a console the best? In my view it just comes down to individual preference. Being the best can come in many forms; is it sales, is it games, is it the level of user satisfaction? Being the best as far as statistics are concerned should include all areas of concern.

Personally speaking I enjoy both the wii and the 360 and I would probably enjoy the PS3, when it kicks off. They all offer different things and they all have their star features and they all have their dog features. Therefor I cannot pick a "best" or a "winner".
    Last edited by Dorza; 04-07-2007 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB
    Theres a brilliant article in this months Edge magazine about Nintendo and the way time and time again they manage to get back to the top of the pile.

Its no coincidence that the latest 100 greatest games of all time poll is dominated by nintendo games.

When it comes to gaming Nintendo have always pushed the boundaries from the original mario brothers games throught o mario 64 and now with the DS and Wii.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by kopite View Post
    Theres a brilliant article in this months Edge magazine about Nintendo and the way time and time again they manage to get back to the top of the pile.

Its no coincidence that the latest 100 greatest games of all time poll is dominated by nintendo games.

When it comes to gaming Nintendo have always pushed the boundaries from the original mario brothers games throught o mario 64 and now with the DS and Wii.
    it would be even better if the wii had similar graphics to the 360 or ps3. why cant nintendo make a consoel aimed at everyone? hard core gamers will look at the ps3/360. why cant intendo make a console that appeals to such group who likes shiney graphics with violent action packed games like GOW and GTA?

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80
    because theres already 2 consoles that have "shiney graphics with violent action packed games like GOW and GTA"

so nintendo had to try and do something to differentiate themselves.. the cheap price being one of the ways they have. its worked, they win.

also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    it would be even better if the wii had similar graphics to the 360 or ps3. why cant nintendo make a consoel aimed at everyone?
    If the Wii had the same hardware as the 360 or PS3 it would cost the same (or more, if Nintendo kept their profit-on-hardware motif going).

I wouldn't have spent £425 on a Wii. Then again, I probably wouldn't spend £180 on a PS3.

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    it would be even better if the wii had similar graphics to the 360 or ps3. why cant nintendo make a consoel aimed at everyone? hard core gamers will look at the ps3/360. why cant intendo make a console that appeals to such group who likes shiney graphics with violent action packed games like GOW and GTA?
    1) Nintendo saw a gap in the market and are seizing control of it. This gap includes, mums, dads, gparents i.e everyone. They saw something that the likes of Sony and MS never saw or never really thought about.

2) This gap gives everyone an opportunity to play a console and have "fun". You don't have to blow things up and have limbs flying everywhere or even have super graphics to enjoy a game.

3) The result of what I am saying is that Nintendo have made a console for everyone, if you can't grasp the notion of why the wii is so graphically crippled compared to that of its competitors then don't bother trying to pass judgment on it

4) From day one Nintendo have made a profit on the wii, unlike MS or Sony. Maybe that money will be pumped into making a super duper mega awesome machine next time around, since gamers have obviously got nowhere to turn this time around and have been left out in the cold.
    Last edited by Dorza; 05-07-2007 at 02:10 PM.

8. Received thanks from:

steve threlfall (05-07-2007)

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorza View Post
    1) Nintendo saw a gap in the market and are seizing control of it. This gap includes, mums, dads, gparents i.e everyone. They saw something that the likes of Sony and MS never saw or never really thought about.

2) This gap gives everyone an opportunity to play a console and have "fun". You don't have to blow things up and have limbs flying everywhere or even have super graphics to enjoy a game.

3) The result of what I am saying is that Nintendo have made a console for everyone, if you can't grasp the notion of why the wii is so graphically crippled compared to that of its competitors then stick with the 360.
    Dorza, you are right on the money here. Graphics doesn't make a good game, gameplay does.

Hardcore gamers is such a stupid term. I'm a long standing gamer and i'm enjoying the Wii experience so much more than my pc or x360 at the moment.

I'm rewarded so much more when things go right and i swing the remote and hit a cross court forehand winner etc, and Wii remote shooting is infinite fun

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG View Post
    Dorza, you are right on the money here. Graphics doesn't make a good game, gameplay does.

Hardcore gamers is such a stupid term. I'm a long standing gamer and i'm enjoying the Wii experience so much more than my pc or x360 at the moment.

I'm rewarded so much more when things go right and i swing the remote and hit a cross court forehand winner etc, and Wii remote shooting is infinite fun

TiG
    Well said Tig

The problem with the games industry over the last decade if not longer is that the majority of the companies put shiny graphics and physics and bump mapping stuff above good solid gameplay.

I play games because I want to be entertained Graphics are nice and all but Gameplay should come first. Im really happy with the graphics on the wii they might not have all the new fangled effects of the ps3 and xbox360 but they do the job.

Its also worth noting that development on the wii is considerably cheaper than development on the xbox 360 and ps3. This should give the companies the chances to make more risks without things going wrong big time for them if a game fails

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorza View Post
    Maybe that money will be pumped into making a super duper mega awesome machine next time around, since gamers have obviously got nowhere to turn this time around and have been left out in the cold.
    No. Straight in the shareholders pockets my friend..

Ninty are just as greedy as everyone else is, the Wii was supposed to be released at around the £100 mark, with cheaper games than everyone else, IE, not competing directly at all, and being the 2nd console in most homes - I was going to be one of them. Then they saw the price of the 360 and PS3 and nearly doubled it's price overnight, and hiked the price of the games up.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Dorza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe - WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.06Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce 9600GT
      • PSU:
      • Cosair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
    No. Straight in the shareholders pockets my friend..
    I was being sarcastic. In any case some of the money does go into R&D for the next product. Thats how the cycle works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information