Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bioshock demo .exe issues ? Anyone else?

Thanks

Re: Bioshock demo .exe issues ? Anyone else?

Also this is going far too off topic I think noTHINGface has made another thread which is more appropriate place to discuss this further.(if we need to)

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom

To get back ontopic, I can't even install the demo...first I get AVG all up in my face (that's right, that's what I said), and now I get a 'Windows cannot access specified device, path or file...appropriate permissions...blah, blah' error...

see?

Last edited by IBM; 22-08-2007 at 11:20 PM.
    sig removed by Zak33

Thanks

hmm I think your AVG's definition file is not upto date and either moved the setup.exe to vault or deleted the file. Update AVG and get setup.exe from streetster's link(first page)and try again.

4. Received thanks from:

IBM (22-08-2007)

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom

Yeah, you're quite right, it was. I thought killing AVG, then copying the file across would be sufficient, but I was wrong.

Cheers.
    sig removed by Zak33

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by notsobig View Post
    CAL, did you say you're running XP or was it Vista? If you're on XP then I heard you must install dualcore optimiser otherwise the demo will crash. And that's why I believe they included optimiser with this demo. If you're on Vista, I'm sorry but I've no idea.

P.S. It seems AVG has now fixed this false detection in their latest definition file. It no longer picks up setup.exe.
    Thanks so much - I never even thought to check that! I'm running XP Home so will give that a go - since this morning I've hit my machine with True Image and wound back to before I'd installed Bioshock but I'll give that a go and hope for the best. That would explain why I've not managed to find any other problems like this!

Thanks mate,

-----------------------------------------------------

www.dougmcdonald.co.uk
    Thanks
    • DougMcDonald's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Inter Core 2 Duo E6600
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 2GB - Geil Black Dragon PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 400GB Samsung Spinpoints (Running in Matrix array) 100GB @ RAID0 + 300GB @ RAID1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG nVidia 8800GTS 320MB OC2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W modular
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC7 II Plus
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 17" Flat Thingy
      • Internet:
      • Crappy BT 1MB Unreliable wank :s

Fantastic demo, looks absolutely spectacular. Will be ordering this when i get paid.

I really don't understand the backlash this is getting regarding activation/re-installs. As various quotes mention, this should only affect those who install the games on many pc's.

If people choose to install things on multiple pc's at once, then you kind of deserve problems (or a phone call to sort it) as this is not what things are designed for.

You cannot concurrently activate one pc windows install license keys for example without a phone call explaining the situation, so why should this? Many games you can 'copy' and reinstall many times, but you cannot play them without getting some form of illegal no/cd, why is this any different?

It kind of reminds me of Steam initially. I installed my game on a friends pc and let him use my account for a couple of days whilst I was on holiday. When i got back I couldn't use my install until i had shouted at him to remove his install/use of the game. How is this any different?

Bearing in mind most games nowadays allow the option to remove the game and keep saves, if you need to play on a different PC at a LAN party for example, why not just install beforehand and then activate again at the LAN, uninstalling when you leave and re-installing on your home pc?

I think maybe what people are forgetting is that although a lot of games will allow multiple installs these days on different pc's they still often prevent concurrent running of the game without the 'real cd' or crack/no cd.

Why is this any different?

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media

Quote Originally Posted by DougMcDonald View Post
    I really don't understand the backlash this is getting regarding activation/re-installs. As various quotes mention, this should only affect those who install the games on many pc's.
    [Tirade]
    The problem here is that many gamers have multiple pc's. in my house i have 2 computers that are capable of running bioshock and a 3rd that needs a minor upgrade to do so

If people choose to install things on multiple pc's at once, then you kind of deserve problems (or a phone call to sort it) as this is not what things are designed for.
    why do i deserve to suffer as a legitimate customer in order to delay pirates for only a few days?Because that's all securom does really other than be a pain in the ass to users by seriously inconveniencing them and in securom's case phone home to mother ship about users

at my current rate of pay i have to work for 5 hours to buy bioshock. i work in a under staffed retail store so work i hard and work is very tiring. last thing i want to do is call an international number costing me more money to talk to someone who quite frankly does not give a damn.

I think maybe what people are forgetting is that although a lot of games will allow multiple installs these days on different pc's they still often prevent concurrent running of the game without the 'real cd' or crack/no cd.
    the difference is that with say bf2 is that if i wanted to i could install the game to a million computers and all of them would be usable in single player mode. but if i want to play online my key is only allowed on once.not that i condone piracy but it is things like securom that make it a much more attractive becuae i dont get nagged by the securom crap.

It kind of reminds me of Steam initially. I installed my game on a friends pc and let him use my account for a couple of days whilst I was on holiday. When i got back I couldn't use my install until i had shouted at him to remove his install/use of the game. How is this any different?
    because people could load up one account with all of the games and pass account around. do you really think that steam would be around in the form it is if you could do that?

[/Tirade]

Note: i do not support piracy in any way. its just stuff like this that makes it an attractive option
    Last edited by alsenior; 23-08-2007 at 04:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by alsenior View Post
    [Tirade]
    The problem here is that many gamers have multiple pc's. in my house i have 2 computers that are capable of running bioshock and a 3rd that needs a minor upgrade to do so
    So why don't you buy two copies of the game? You wouldn't expect to run the same copy of windows on both computers without buying the appropriate license, so why Bioshock? It's hardly the first game that you buy a license to play on one computer, not several. If you don't think it's worth the money for just running on one machine then don't buy it and market forces will dictate whether it was value for money.

Thanks

This just sounds like par for the course as far as 2K are concerned. They are the same bunch of satan-fellating goat-rapers who were responsible for the Vietcong 2 launch/farce/debacle, for which I've never forgiven them.

When discussing the possibilities of e.g. patching securom out of the game in the event of theme going bust, bear in mind that 2K are the so-and-sos who released a game that had full multiplayer ranking support built into it, but were too cheap to rent a server to support it. Not one, at all, not even just for the week of the launch. If this game needs any support after the initial revenues have dried up, it'll come from hackers or it won't come at all.

I agree with alsenior and josh - when it comes to all the online activation garbage in Windows and in games, the pirate releases generally offer a far better user experience than the legitimate product, and that's just insane.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband

INNIT. the retail version should be hassle free while the pirate version should be a bi** to get it to work but nowadays its the other way round!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I have been getting sick of this type of thing for a while now, its always the legitimate purchasers that have to jump through hoops and/or get inconvenienced to try and stop the unstoppable pirates.......

I have started to take the stance "Treat me like a criminal and I might as well act like one"....and I most certainly am not going to pay for the "priviledge" of being treated like that......
    Last edited by Nick; 23-08-2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: We will not tolerate talk of piracy.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

What inconvience? Just install the game as usual, allow it to verify online (once, as per HL2), then play.

As for admitting you are going to try and pirate the game.. not something I'd expect from any usually intelligent Hexus forumite.

Thanks

I think people are just fed up with it all. Same with DRM infected mp3s, the legitimate paying customer has to install all this crap on his machine just to use content that he's legitimately paid for, cf. the unpaying Piratey Joe who is having a much happier user experience with no DRM, no software phone home, waiting for patch servers to be flipped etc. DRM fails every time but its getting more and more intrusive. Either way - I'm done. I wont buy Bioshock until this gets sorted - perhaps a rental on the 360...
    What we share with everyone is glum, and dark...

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

As someone who reinstalls a lot, being told "2 installs and then buy another copy" is outrageous IMO.

The last few years I have been getting sick of the "you must put the CD in the drive to help combat piracy", yet all the pirates are playing without having to rummage around for a CD.........and then steam came.....I refuse to install that virus on my pc.

We then get an alternative with this game and its arguably worse then steam.

When will customers get treated like customers? Why do legitimate purchasers have to go through this BS when the pirates don't? It makes my mind boggle, especially when you realise that every game worth playing has been pirated, they cannot stop them, they never will.

Maybe if they dropped the price of the product, instead of spending vast amounts of money on useless "protection schemes" (that ultimately the legit purchaser pays for!) the pirates might decide its more worthwhile to buy the original?
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Tools are the subtlest of traps redsky009's Avatar
    Thanks
    • redsky009's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.29 Ghz with Arctic Freezer Pro 7 cooling
      • Memory:
      • 4 GB Corsair Twin XMS 6400 (Cas 4)
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Seagate + 500GB WD (SATA 300, 7,200rpm)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB PowerColor HD4870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520W (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion 532
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC LCD2070NX (20", 1600x1200)
      • Internet:
      • 22Mb ADSL 2+

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    What inconvience? Just install the game as usual, allow it to verify online (once, as per HL2), then play.

As for admitting you are going to try and pirate the game.. not something I'd expect from any usually intelligent Hexus forumite.
    We understand that you don't think this is a problem and for many users it wont be - that's fine. Great news. But you have to realise that for a significant portion of paying users this will cause a fair amount of hassle and incovenience (even if you yourself can't understand how). Those who will be inconvenienced, don't really appreciate having things like Secureom etc installed against our wishes, slowing loading times, messing up virtual drives etc.

You don't see the problem, your point has been made. Thanks. We see your point of view. Try and see ours.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

I'm trying.. and the things you mention like increased loading times etc. are all valid concerns, but they are nothing new and I haven't seen such outcry about them in the last 3 years or so that they've been around. This 'new' inconvience seems only to be that you can't install the game on multiple computers at once without buying more than one copy. I can't understand why that is a concern except where you think it's not good value for money. If that's the concern then fair enough, don't buy the game - like everything else you should vote with your wallet and people will then price and make games accordingly.

Regarding dropping the price.. they already have. The price of PC games is lower in real terms than it's been for years. I remember paying 45 quid for one of the Wing Commander games ages ago... now I've just bought Bioshock for 25 quid including a shiny tin case..

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information