Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PS3 VS Xbox 360

Thanks

PS3 VS Xbox 360

I'm thinking about getting a console, and am currently thinking that a PS3 is the better choice for me. I'm sure this is mostly personal preference (I've used neither to date), but is there any major reason to go for a 360 over a PS3?

I understand that the 360 is cheaper and seems to have slightly better graphics capabilities, but I am liking the built in blu-ray stuff a lot so far. From what I've heard, the PS3 has better media streaming/playing capabilities overall too.

The main reason I've been given to get a 360 over a PS3 is the range of games. I've had a look at the lists, and apart from one or two (halo), I think every game I'm looking for is available for the PS3 (GTA, burnout, COD, metal gear solid).

Basically, is there anything I'm over looking, or are both consoles pretty much the same when it comes down to it?

It might be worth pointing out that which ever I choose will probably be connected to my dell 2007WFP and audio directed into my PC and out through my speakers for most of the time.

Jay
    Thanks

Re: PS3 VS Xbox 360

probably not the best question to ask.... gets ready for a flame war.

If you want a Bluray player get a PS3 if not, get a 360.
    □ΞVΞ□

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

Personally I'd recommend giving both a play, best way to decide it.

At the end of the day a console is just what you put the disc in, so if brand doesn't mean much to you go for the one that has the most games you like.

Banned
    Thanks

The 360 has a more mature games library, a superior online service and a lower sticker price.

The PS3 has Blu-Ray, free online play, looks better (if you don't get a 360 Elite), and makes less noise.

The 360 does not have 'slightly better graphics capabilities', some games look better on one console, some on the other, and hardly ever enough to actually matter.

The 360 is a slightly better buy, because Xbox Live is so good, and its been out longer so there are more decent games avalible, but all that really matters is that you buy the console that has the games you want to play.

Thats all that has mattered since the NES \ Master System days, but people still argue about other stuff for some reason.

If you want to play Guns of the Patriots, buy a PS3. If you want to play the GTAIV DLC, buy a 360.

Thanks

Ps3 all the way!! especially if you want to play metal gear solid and you wanna watch Blu-ray, you definitley wont be getting that quality from the hd-dvd or 360. tbh after playing gta4 for 100 hours (without including multiplayer) the extra 10 you get with dlc isnt going to be a big deal because Metal Gear Solid 4 will be out along with many many other games.

Thanks
    • Bounty_Bam's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 'Dark Raider'
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (4x2GB) OCZ PC6400 800Mhz Platinum
      • Storage:
      • 1TB SATA, 500GB SATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon HD7800 Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster CM-690 Dominator Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" LG LED Flatron IPS234
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Absolutly! Personally I prefere the Playstation 3, thats why I have one.

(Silent Hill 5, Resident Evil 5, MGS4, Tomb Raider Underworld (TR will probably will be released on 360 too)

2008 is going to be a good year for Sony Im sure

ANOTHER good reason for PS3 is its online gaming is free, no monthly subscription to XBox Live or whatever its called. Plus, 360 cant even play HD-DVD without a £100 upgrade, whereas PS3 even beats HD with its built in blu-ray player

It's good to be bad pauldarkside's Avatar
    Thanks
    • pauldarkside's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K & Corsair Hydro H80i
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force GS 128GB, Crucial M500 480GB, WD Black 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional HX850W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 780T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity @ 78Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    The PS3 has Blu-Ray, free online play, looks better (if you don't get a 360 Elite), and makes less noise.
    Eh? I assume you're talking about aesthetics (as in colour) and not looks (as in output) since HDMI is a standard feature on all packages now (Arcade/Premium/Elite)?
    My only concern is should I hide my true identity? A costume maybe?

0iD: Plus weeing in it every now & again does it good
    scaryjim: 10" is just a little large to hold comfortably in one hand, which makes it a lot harder to tap, swipe and generally interact with.

It's good to be bad pauldarkside's Avatar
    Thanks
    • pauldarkside's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4770K & Corsair Hydro H80i
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Corsair Force GS 128GB, Crucial M500 480GB, WD Black 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional HX850W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 780T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity @ 78Mbps

Both consoles are going to continue to have their exclusive titles which is expensive if you're interested in all of them.

I bought the 360 as it was out first, had a good range of games and pretty decent backend support (online, marketplace, etc). Sony's offering was overpriced, lacking in titles, was pretty much tied to the format war (HD vs BR) and had under developed online features (still does to some extent).

If I were to choose now I'd still plump for the 360 as my primary gaming console (it's still got the better unified online features) and grab a PS3 for the BR support and the odd exclusive title. Neither are that expensive now so it's more feasible to own both.
    My only concern is should I hide my true identity? A costume maybe?

0iD: Plus weeing in it every now & again does it good
    scaryjim: 10" is just a little large to hold comfortably in one hand, which makes it a lot harder to tap, swipe and generally interact with.

Thanks
    • crazy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P5Q-E
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair DDR2
      • Storage:
      • Raptor X 150GB & 1TB Samsung HD103UJ
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 260
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infiniti 720W
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 SE
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2410 & 2007WFP

Quote Originally Posted by pauldarkside View Post
    I'd still plump for the 360 as my primary gaming console (it's still got the better unified online features) and grab a PS3 for the BR support and the odd exclusive title
    Pretty much the same view I have. If you looking to purchase a console primarily for the GTA release I would personally go for the xbox 360 mainly because I think the GTA experience would be better on the 360 (DLC and more developed online features). Both consoles have their pros and cons, tbh it's a decision you have to make.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajbrun View Post
    It might be worth pointing out that which ever I choose will probably be connected to my dell 2007WFP and audio directed into my PC and out through my speakers for most of the time.
    Has that monitor got hdmi? if not then i guess it'll be hdmi to dvi then using you optical for audio?

Thanks

Stewart has it pretty much sewn up with his post.

Xbox 360 has the bigger games catalogue and better online experience, the PS3 has BD playback built in and is perhaps, (if developers ever get the hang of it) the more powerful machine.

But if you're looking to spank the cash on one or the other right now, the Xbox 360 is the one to go for. It's more reasonably priced, can be expanded/upgraded with add-ons you might want and has loads of games both new on budget, second hand and on DLC.

On the other hand, the more expensive PS3 doesn't have region locking on the vast majority of its games and BD discs, so if you're looking at importing much cos you're impatient, then the PS3 offers more reliable cross-region support.

(NOTE: Yes, there's plenty of region free stuff on the Xbox 360, there's just a bigger proportion of it on the PS3)

If it were my money, I'd go for the Xbox 360.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks

Cheers for the responses. I think you've just confirmed what I already thought, so I'll look into getting a PS3 for the BR, as apart from the games catalogue, there seems to be no major difference between the two. After reading some reviews online (no idea how biassed these are), the PS3 also seems to have a better controller system and is more open with official linux support (might never use it, but I take that as a good sign) and an expandable HDD slot. I'll try and get some more opinions from some friends of mine too though .

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    That's why I didn't post on either console's forums. I assumed the responses here would be more mature, and I wasn't wrong. Nice one guys .

Quote Originally Posted by gtech View Post
    Has that monitor got hdmi? if not then i guess it'll be hdmi to dvi then using you optical for audio?
    I thought about this a bit last night, and here's what I thought I'd do:

hdmi -> DVI for the visuals.
    Then using the supplied cable that comes with the PS3, plug the white and red audio into a 'Y' cable which I'd buy. Then put the single end of this into the input of my PC.

If anyone knows of any reason why this won't work, or knows of a better way, please let me know.
    Last edited by ajbrun; 27-04-2008 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Bounty_Bam View Post
    Absolutly! Personally I prefere the Playstation 3, thats why I have one.

(Silent Hill 5, Resident Evil 5, MGS4, Tomb Raider Underworld (TR will probably will be released on 360 too)

2008 is going to be a good year for Sony Im sure

ANOTHER good reason for PS3 is its online gaming is free, no monthly subscription to XBox Live or whatever its called. Plus, 360 cant even play HD-DVD without a £100 upgrade, whereas PS3 even beats HD with its built in blu-ray player
    straw man arguments make your argument look weak - i.e. "you can't win on the basis of reality, so make stuff up".

1) of the 4 titles you name, 3 are multi-platform. and in 90% of comparisons, the 360 is a better platform for multi-platform games (faster load times, better online integration, achievements, nicer pad, smoother framerates, cheaper games) according to any multi-platform gaming press you care to name

2) the hd-dvd drive, if you want a dead format, is £40, not £100. whilst blu-ray is obviously the better disc format to invest in, the 360 has hundreds of movies available for download-rental (including in HD), and the PS3 does not. buying movies at £25-£30 each versus renting for a few quid whilst in your underpants... personal choice, really

both systems have games to recommend them, but try arguing on points that exist

Cov
    Thanks
    • Cov's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DH77DF
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25-M Postville & WD20EARX
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4000 & GF8800
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet! 480
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 236V
      • Internet:
      • o2 (6MB Broadband)

I was thinking to get a games console recently too.
    Thought between XBoX and PS3 but had decided for a Monster PC instead.

The titles which come out on PC sooner or later are in better quality and include feature that don't come on game consoles (additional maps, ect).

If I had own children I would get one of the consoles for sure ... and making my mind up would be very hard though.

I like the games selection on XBox but I think the games are too expensive with around £40.- each. Considering the £159.- for the XBox console ... you get only 4 games for that money ? hahaha, that's rudicolous.

The Bluray player on PS3 is nice too but it wouldn't have any priority for me over the games quality.

One Great Ordeal!
    Thanks

I think personally now with the price of the PS3 falling, it makes sense to buy both. The PS3 makes a nice media player as it can play back a lot of media formats and has the blu ray support. Also it has its exclusives and GT 5 is shaping up to be very good if prologue is anything to go by.

The 360 although it has an online subscription service is far superior at the moment to the free playstation network, whether home on the PS3 will actually be good or just a gimmick remains to be seen. Personally controller wise I far prefer the xbox 360 controller to the PS3, I especially dislike the 'triggers' on the ps3 controller. The 360 also doesn't have in its favor the lack lustre drive size, even the elite with its 120 gig drive isnt enough really. Movie downloads I don't think are a selling point of the xbox 360, with current net connections it takes far to long to download them! I'm also constantly running out of space on my 20 gig drive so wouldn't have the space for hd downloads even if I wanted them!

So PS3 for its exclusives, amazing audio and video codec support, Blu Ray.
    Xbox 360 overall for the better online gaming network, and better in my opinion selection of games.
    Last edited by digit; 27-04-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    2) the hd-dvd drive, if you want a dead format, is £40, not £100. whilst blu-ray is obviously the better disc format to invest in, the 360 has hundreds of movies available for download-rental (including in HD), and the PS3 does not. buying movies at £25-£30 each versus renting for a few quid whilst in your underpants... personal choice, really.
    For a man of your knowledge i'd expect you to know that you can get Blu-ray movies for as little as £10 and for most new titles i wouldnt pay more than £18.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information