• Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

City of Heroes / Villains

Been playing this since the end of April now and have to say I am hooked. I didn't use the fantastic HEXUS offer for the 14 day free trial as I was looking for a new MMORPG already. Decided to go for City of Villains regardless and am really pleased with my purchase! So far so Good it has to be said, done allsorts ingame so far, quests are literally made up of opposites to what the good guys would do. Kidnap people for a mad scientist, kill a good guy boss that has setup camp in the Villains territory but the best one I have done yet is a bank raid in Paragon City, home of the do gooders. In and out in 15 minutes causing as much destruction and mayhem as possible, smash the vault door open and finally the coup de grace - kill the hero that is called to protect the bank! Must admit it was frantic start to finish but was also fun doing the bank job and sticking it to the heroes.

I know this should be in MMORPG bit of the boards but with the HEXUS offer it is worthwhile nabbing a key and trying it out before they are gone. Links :

START YOUR 14-DAY FREE TRIAL | PlayNC

News | City of Heroes

And now for a few screenies, some of them have the bloom extra effects enabled and others don't. Reason for this is that my system was crashing and I was trying a few different settings to get to the bottom of it. If anyone wants to meet up ingame give me a shout, my ingame name is Garrick and I play on the Defiant server.

As you can see, I have been soloing quite a bit due to the crash problems I have been having and not wanting to drop teams in the thick of it if I vanish suddenly. Teams are dead easy to get into unlike a FEW other online games, had loads of invitation to join up and have taken a few of them up. The game scales depending on how many people are on the team. If you are soloing then you will get 3 enemies a time to go up against, a team of 6 though and you are looking at a room that is quite full.
    Last edited by Ferral; 04-05-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Adding extra images

Thanks

Re: City of Heroes / Villains

I've been addicted (again) since getting the trial. I played when City of Heroes was new-ish, and also got the City of Villains Collector's Edition when that came out. Since I last stopped playing, they've added some basic crafting and an auction house.

My main this time is a soloing Energy Blaster Hero. We also get the bank raid missions - have to intercept the bad guy at the bank, or nab him during his escape, while also flying around stopping mayhem. It hadn't occurred to me that Villains would get the same mission from the other side of the fence.

I've got a Villain Mastermind, but he's only for play with an RL friend of mine who just got GTA4, so I doubt he'll reach 14 any time soon.

Thanks

Yup, my Villain languishes at 6, still, while a tanker I started with a mate yesterday is 13.

The reason I'm back to this thread? Everyone in City of Heroes/Villains is just SO FRIENDLY. It's almost sickening. I've played a lot of MMOs, and you find lots of friendly people and a few obnoxious kiddies in most, but in City of Heroes everyone is hideously friendly. It's... noticeable. In what other games do you stop by the bank or auction house and have someone send you a tell complimenting your character's look or back-story?

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

I havn't been on for about a week with my VGA problem, but my new card will be getting delivered in the next few hours so will be reinstalling and getting back online. When I have been playing though previously when I was invited into a group I warned that I might just suddenly dissapear due to graphics card crashing and they still kept me in the party and said no worries.

Community within the game is great. You feel really welcome by everyone, havn't had any comments on my character yet though as he is a brute / mutant but I didn't actually make him look like a tank as you can see from the shots above. I wanted him to look more evil and streamlined with a hint of The Matrix for colour!

Thanks

I started a trial account after reading here and I have to say I am pretty impressed.

Cant quite put my finger on what is impressive about it but seems im addicted.

Your right about everyone being friendly I am sure at some point someone should of told me to go read the manual

I have a level 9 stalker at the moment.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Still can't get on, my replacement graphics card won't even allow the system to post. Artifacts all over the screen as soon as you turn the system on and it won't go any further, gutted to say the least. Ah well, guys at Scan will be sorting it out for me and I have the RMA number already, have complete faith in them.

So hopefully will be on in the next week or so when I get another replacement.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

i always been meaning to get around to playing this game but i never can get around the fact of paying monthly, i know they need theyre money but i cant find a reason to pay so much, £90 a year? probably wrong but its still alot for more. Will give the trial a go soon hopefully to see what the fuss is about, are the graphics any good? i prefer a great story etc to graphics but with good graphics it keeps me interested longer .

Good luck with replacing your card ferral.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

It is done via story arks, not a story from start to finish like Guild Wars. Midnight Hour is out shortly and it looks really good to say the least. Other than that you can just pick up missions from all over the place.

Havn't come across any of the main story arks yet but no doubt will soon as I am going to be moving onto the 3rd area soon which has the university where you can design and create items. Just wish that you could buy the jetpack I was given as I find it easier to get around instead of having to get into loads of battles with NPC's that are now lower than my level on the streets.

Love it though, really fun when playing in groups, if we get enough interest in it we can create a Villain supergroup and build our own headquarters.

Scan are really good, they did test and send me a replacement but it must have got damaged somehow during transit unfortunately. I put on my anti static wristband and disconnected all power from PC etc (all the usual stuff you do when fitting new parts) but it just won't go. They are even having it picked up from me on Monday so all I have to do is mark up the RMA number and seal the box and its good to go. Guys there are great and give good customer service, I know I might have come across a bit peeved etc when I posted up in their bit of the board with regards to the initial replacement (GeForce 8600 GT) but they sorted it for me.

So hopefully this one will be equally as quick and relatively pain free!

Then I can get back onto some of my games as the Via Chrome 9 integrated only runs stuff from 2000 roughly. Been playing Nocturne, Blood 2, The Thing (Which runs surprisingly well), Heretic 2 and Indy Infernal Machine. So really it is giving me a good run of some of my older games that I havn't played through for years.

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C

Thanks I might give this a try. I have a few days off so got lots of time to play something new.

I heard that this game is amazing but I only never got it in the past because I heard it doesn't last that long. People seem to play it and have a great time but a couple of months later they are finished with it. Although a couple of months of fun is still worth doing I suppose.

Thread Information