• Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb

Re: 360/ps3 - and not a flame war

I would say the Xbox deffinately has a more family friendly selection of games. Most of the good games on the PS3 are shooting/sports/horror/driving games, all fairly adult themed unless your brother is into sports or driving..

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Thanks
    • Stringent's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel DQ57TM
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 760
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Geforce 260GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Iiyama 24"
      • Internet:
      • Patchy

He has a Wii, that has a ton of stupid kiddie/family games!! The XBox/PS3 is really more for serious gamers IMO.

sp3n

after owning both - i prefer the ps3 for a few reasons:

* built in wireless, my with my xbox i had to run a 12 metre ethernet cable around my room
    * free online gaming, simple really - its free
    * peace of mind - my xbox got the rrod after 3 months of owning it with only light gaming
    * built in bluray - probably not an advantage for many, but it is for me as my ps3 is connected to a 93" HD projector
    * built in rechargable controllers - running out of 2xAA batteries at 11pm isn't ideal

oh and i can use my guitar hero world tour guitars on rock band, and my rock band drums on guitar hero world tour

Quote Originally Posted by Bunjiweb View Post
    I would say the Xbox deffinately has a more family friendly selection of games. Most of the good games on the PS3 are shooting/sports/horror/driving games, all fairly adult themed unless your brother is into sports or driving..

Ben
    probably the most rediculous post i have read on here.

some great family/kiddy games are: little big planet, ratchet and clank, lego star wars / indiana jones, buzz, monopoly, singstar, the simpsons and loads of great games from the psn such as calling all cars, the pixeljunk collection, toy-home, bowling, pain, super rub-a-dub

they are both great consoles both with their own pros and cons - if you can get a chance to play on each that might help

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Quote Originally Posted by sp3n View Post
    oh and i can use my guitar hero world tour guitars on rock band, and my rock band drums on guitar hero world tour
    That is the same on the 360, and probably the wii

some great family/kiddy games are: little big planet, ratchet and clank, lego star wars / indiana jones, buzz, monopoly, singstar, the simpsons and loads of great games from the psn such as calling all cars, the pixeljunk collection, toy-home, bowling, pain, super rub-a-dub
    Lego star wars, indiana jones, simpsons....all multi format games
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

probably the most rediculous post i have read on here.

they are both great consoles both with their own pros and cons - if you can get a chance to play on each that might help
    I disagree, the PS3 has fewer exclusive family friendly titles especially when you take XBLA into account, yes LBP and Rachet are great titles for younger gamers but pretty much everything else you've mentioned other than the pixeljunk games are available on both consoles and are often cheaper to pick up for the Xbox.

sp3n

at what point was i talking about exclusives? i was just listing some great family/kiddy games for the ps3..

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

You weren't but seeing as the OP is trying to decide between the two consoles I thought it worth mentioning that most of the games you listed aren't exclusive to the PS3.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jasp View Post
    PS3 by far, rechargable controllers out the box, built in Wi-Fi so no having to buy a wi-fi adaptor, free online access, unlike M$, built in bluray player. Need i go on.
    I'd say you do need to go on... and make a little more sense as well.

What PS3 owners never seem to mention when draging out the tired old 'no having to pay for online' thing is the following - yes, PSN is free... it's also nowhere near as good as Xbox Live.

All your other points are nonsense as well - rechargeable controllers out of the box... right. I wonder if you can buy a 360 AND a play and charge kit and still save money over the sticker price for a PS3?

Yup, you can.

Again, strangely you never mentioned this.

Mate, I don't care if you like the PS3, the 360, or anything else, but when you are giving someone advice, at least have the decency to examine your own reasoning, and try to make sure it makes some sort of vague sense.

Just pointing out some good points, whilst ignoring the obvious downsides isn't going to help anyone.

Anyway, scanning the thread, Agent's post seems to sum it up the best - if you want a console to play movies, get a PS3. If you want a console to play games, get a 360.

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

Faced this exact decision a while back. I've normally gone for playstation in the past, but this time the price was just to high with nothing extra for the money, well nothing that mattered to me. No interest in blu-ray personally. So i went 360 this time and not looked back.

Do what I did and spend the price difference on games, you wont be disappointed. 360 also has the awesome LiveArcade which is full of little gems, lots of which would be perfect for your little bro.

Is it worth it? Thats a tough one, if you play consoles more than once in a blue moon and enjoy it then it's worth it to me, but i've never needed a big excuse to get a new console.

Both consoles have some ace exclusive games. I think 360 pips this one for me atleast until GT5 proper arrives, but I'm sure many would disagree. The truth is most big releases now get released on both formats anyway. End of the the day it's about the games not the hardware, comes down to what you want to play. GOW or MGS, PGR or GT?

Thanks
    • Jasp's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @ 3.4GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 512Gb Crucial MX100 1 x 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 SC
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Haf X V2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 1920X1200
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Tzarbo View Post
    I'd say you do need to go on... and make a little more sense as well.

What PS3 owners never seem to mention when draging out the tired old 'no having to pay for online' thing is the following - yes, PSN is free... it's also nowhere near as good as Xbox Live.

All your other points are nonsense as well - rechargeable controllers out of the box... right. I wonder if you can buy a 360 AND a play and charge kit and still save money over the sticker price for a PS3?

Yup, you can.

Again, strangely you never mentioned this.

Mate, I don't care if you like the PS3, the 360, or anything else, but when you are giving someone advice, at least have the decency to examine your own reasoning, and try to make sure it makes some sort of vague sense.

Just pointing out some good points, whilst ignoring the obvious downsides isn't going to help anyone.

Anyway, scanning the thread, Agent's post seems to sum it up the best - if you want a console to play movies, get a PS3. If you want a console to play games, get a 360.
    Indeed lets, base PS3 price £299.99 this is with one wireless rechargeable controller, inbuilt wireless and a 80gb HD.

Xbox 360 Elite £229.99, this is with a 120gb HD, 1 month gold membership, standard wireless controller.

Extras needed for Xbox 360, 1 X charge kit £14.99, 1 X 12 month gold membership to play online £ 39.99 1 X Wireless adaptor £59.99 Total price of console plus extras £344.96.

Nearly £45 more then a PS3 to get the same functions....so you could go for a premium 360 you say at £169.99 so thats £284.96 yes its cheaper then the PS3 but has a smaller non swappable HD (PS3 you can upgrade with a 2.5" laptop drive) plus you have to pay every year for live..

I firmly believe xbox 360 owners jusity the fact they have to pay to play their games online by saying the service is better, at the end of the day we all pay it because we don't have a choice in the matter.

Thanks

Yes but remember they are extras, for example stuff like the wireless adaptor is only necessary if you, well, want wireless. For someone like me who has easy access to a modem from my 360 that is not an issue. And the others such as the Plug & Charge kit and the Live subscription can be found cheaper if you look around. Also the 360 has a much larger selection of second hand games compared to the PS3, meaning money can be saved there as well.

And like Tzarbo mentioned despite recent improvements made to PSN, Live is still far superior. Especially when you think about features such as the XBLA marketplace.

I'm sure there's more I could go on about, but my brain is tiring today

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

You dont need xbox live if the console is going to be used offline with stuff like rockband with the family and its £30 for 13month, £7 for elite plug and play kit and wifi was like £30 last time i saw and really any serious gamer would use wired as its better. Xbox pro is about ~£150 60gb hd similar to the ps3 hd. Id prefer to buy a 360 and a £100 bluray drive tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Mate, I don't know if you are being purposely ignorant, to annoy people, or what, but your posts are so weak it's not worth going through them to pull them apart. I will this once, but please, think before you post and try to be less biased.
    Chill out fella you don't have to belittle people to offer a different opinion and I'd rather not have this thread turn into an argument.

Indeed. Let's pretend the bigger HD on the 360 doesn't really matter; let's pretend there aren't other SKUs for the 360, such as the Premium. Great.

Seeing as the OP sounds like he's upgrading primarily to take full advantage of Rockband the smaller HDD on the premium could fill up quickly, I've got nearly 15 gigabytes of Guitar Hero downloadable content on my 360 and I've only downloaded maybe 20 tracks, so in the long term with companies knocking out a new music game every 6 months a larger HDD is worth the extra cash no whichever console you go for.

Besides the PS3 wins the storage argument hands down because for about £50 you can upgrade it with a new 500gb drive in less than an hour with nothing but a screwdriver and a memory stick.
    Last edited by Knoxville; 29-04-2009 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks

*edited by Knoxville* You were and I suggest you change your attitude when you post here in the future as there is no need for it.
    Last edited by Knoxville; 29-04-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Custom User Title
    Thanks
    • cougarslam's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Formula SE (ROG)
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Nvidia 8800GT OC 512MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Zorro
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Business 32
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x 17" crt
      • Internet:
      • adsl max (entanet)

If you know other people with consoles what do they use, you may want to play mates online and if that is the case you would need to have the same console as them.

Also look at how much the exclusives matter, and one key thing not mentioned yet (may be wrong just scanned the thread) which controller you prefer.

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish

I have a good PC, a playstation 2 and a big tele..

and if you consider it a gaming machine, I have to say my PS3 is probably underused (I would say I have less than 2 hr sitting every week or so).

However, it is extensively used to stream living room music from my PC, watching bluray with the missus and generally watching movies from my file server stuck in the closet.

So for me PS3 is the obvious choice for my needs as I don't think Xbox360 would be able to do everything I need it to do besides gaming..

I know you can stream movies and all.. but as far as the bluray and media streaming goes.. its one powerful piece of kit in the living room.
    Me want Ultrabook

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information