Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Favourite game of all time

Thanks

Re: Favourite game of all time

I agree with evil genius, but also the first cultures game I really got into alot and would loose alot of hours to it just building up a little town and watching them work

Yay a custom user title! =assassin='s Avatar
    Thanks

I've just finished Dreamfall, and played The Longest Journey just before that for the first time. Both very good games, excellent story, particularly moving in Dreamfall. So I'll add them to my fave games list.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • tocbg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel D915PBL
      • CPU:
      • Pentium 4 3.4ghz HT
      • Memory:
      • 3gb Kingston RAM
      • Storage:
      • 2x 160gb WD SATA Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon X700 Pro(!)
      • PSU:
      • AOpen 400w
      • Case:
      • AOpen H700B
      • Operating System:
      • XP Sp3
      • Monitor(s):
      • Too Small!

Hi Folks,

Some great choices so far!

I would have to say my favourite game is Metal Gear Solid for the PS1. It was a tight call between MGS, Psychonauts and Beyond Good & Evil.

I reckon that overall, MGS has had a bigger iompact on my life. Before I bought it I never really thought games could be an interactive art form. I know that may will disagree but this one was the eye-opener for me. I distinctly remember walking to Tunbridge Wells to buy the game, I wasn't too sure on it but the staff member I got talking to said it was the best game he had ever played and for once I think that was a genuine statement!

I don't remember exactly what I thought the game would be like but after getting stuck (and shot) many times on the first freakin' level I decided that I should take this game more seriously.

I remember getting stuck in the fight agains Psycho Mantis and nearly buying a PS1 cheat disc to get me past it when the same chap at Game told me how to beat him (Just switch the controller over to port 2!). This alone sticks with me when I think of the time I have spent playing the sequels (yet to play MGS4 though), that underlying feeling that maybe the game knows exactly what I am doing and how to beat me!

I also remember the sheer frustration I had in trying to contact Meryl (or was it that Fox lady?) when I heard that the radio frequency had been put in the manual / on the box somewhere. I found taht out after having sat there and gone through all of the available frequencies!

I really enjoyed the story though and even if it was a little unbelievable it did open the door to a more Eastern type of storytelling that I wasn't used to at the time.

As to whether it changed my life? I really don't know... I can't say that it made me superhuman (or want to take up smoking!) but it did help me to challenge the way in which I perceived games up to that point (as something to do when you should really be doing something else). I started to see how many different games and genres could tell a complete and involving interactive story.

I would love to play it again but unfortunately I gave my copy away to my friend but he never returned it!

Cheers,
    Harv

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread Information