Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HL2 - am I just pissed?

Goat Boy
    Thanks

HL2 - am I just pissed?

OK, I'm pretty pissed whilst posting this, but bear with me

OK, here's the proposition. HL2 was ready at the end of 2003. All the levels were complete, the engine was pretty much complete and the art/music was finished. But there was a problem. It need a 9800pro and 3Ghz CPU, at, least to run.

So Valve decided that they could not release it at the end of 2003 as they needed to wait until hardware was common enough to run the game. So they waitied. And they tweaked stuff here and there. And they added new lighting models and bits and bobs. And they took a few months but that was alright as they had a lot of time. And then eventually they released HL2. And it was good.

Is this scenario all that absurd?

The basis for my thought; 1. the demos look 90% complete. 2. I dont think they code break in could have affected them that much - what's there to steal? 3.The screen shots look way ahead of anything that has come out for the passed few months. By a long way,

Thoughts?
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

OMG!! PWND!!
    Thanks
    HL2 is goin down the tube cause ther are games like Farcry and Painkiller being released NOW (i dont know if Painkiller is actually being released now but they have at least given us a demo!) and they have everything HL2 is said to gonna have! ie, Physics Engines, good levels and decent AI

Wats ur tale mothergoose?
    Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Hanns.G / 42" Panasonic G20
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable
    lol you are pissed

hl2 was delayed because it was leaked and there was an uproar as ppl were convinced that this was everything valve had done with the game and quite suspiciously the phat man didnt really have a reply. 9800 and 3ghz :S are we talkin about hl2, it plays fine on 1.5ghz, 4200/8500 and onward (the leak that is)
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

If you get a customer, or an employee, who thinks he's Charles Bronson, take the butt of your gun and smash their nose in.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Applecrusher
    HL2 is goin down the tube cause ther are games like Farcry and Painkiller being released NOW (i dont know if Painkiller is actually being released now but they have at least given us a demo!) and they have everything HL2 is said to gonna have! ie, Physics Engines, good levels and decent AI
    Yeah, Painkiller is out, and I've got it. Look great, but its no world beater, nor is Far Cry. The looks are sorted, now we just need a FPS that has the game to back it up. My money is still on Half Life II, but one more slip of the release date, and I'll lose interest, Valve will become a laughing stock, and the Pope will have words. That's not good.

Maybe Doom III will have the looks and the levels, who knows?

To be honest, I'm not sure I've seen too many 'good levels' on either Fary Cry or Painkiller.

Decent AI... maybe, but nothing more than decent.

The next killer FPS still hasn't arrived, with Far Cry and Painkiller out, so its over to Doom III and Half Life II. See if any of them can be the next Wolfenstien 3D, Doom or Goldeneye.

Goat Boy
    Thanks
    How does some of the engine code being leaked delay the game? Can anyone explain that to me?
    "All our beliefs are being challenged now, and rightfully so, they're stupid." - Bill Hicks

Thanks
    maby that whats valves attempting if the leak was a lie then they may have been worried about how good the game was as some of them may have seen screen shots of d3 fc and painkiller, i personally havnt seen any screens of painkiller but apparently it is looking good. They may have been concerned that their game wouldnt be number one which is what there going for as hl was such a hit they want to prove they can produce good game after good game. This is fine with me if it means hl2 is going to be a great and memorable game. in a few decades people will look back and think what were we playing then? if hl2 is good enough theyll think of that, then think ah lets go and buy valves latest installment hl8 or something .
    Doom 3 is gonna be a great game because of the graphics and gameplay im sure but alot of people will get scared out of there wits and probably would rather play hl2 than that. i personally would prefer getting scared although i think ill enjoy hl2 more than the other fps
    so in retrospec hl2 is gonna get better the more they delay me thinks but if it gets delayed another year im gonna give up i think a few months would be alright but not a year thats too long
    i really am hoping hl2 is going to change the way we play games like goldeneye and all the ones mentioned above^ did as i am a big fan of hl
    Pete

Thanks
    How big (as in gb's) do people think that HL2 will?
    Last edited by blockers; 16-04-2004 at 05:53 PM.
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Thanks
    My opinion is that hl2 was not nearly complete - the leaked version wasnt.
    neither do I think itll be a good game. Agreed the physics are good, but they didnt code it, iirc its the same physics engine thats used in a few other games, like max payne 2 - I expect theyll tweak it/push it further, but dont expect much new stuff.

HL story, was rubbish. I cant understand why so many people thought it was good... I think back about the whole game, all the levels etc.. and all I can rememeber is the intro video, on the slow monorail. The AI and events in hl were compleatly scripted, much like q2 was - quake 2 was a much better game anyway. So what will they do to make it unscripted? the video of it looked like it was scripted to me... I liked the AI in farcry, I admit it wasnt perfect, but wasnt at all scripted.

Also stuff never lives upto the hype it generates before release and I dont see why people care. HL2 will be crap. doom3 however will be the best fps ever.
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 16-04-2004 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    Maybe HL2 will be anther Diakatana, loads of hype, stupidly long development time, final product a pile of tosh.
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb
    For HL2 we could be looking at an end of june / early july release according to "sources"... but valve are saying its going to be september at least....

Doom 3 will be out before it and I believe it will set a very high standard (in singleplayer) for half life 2 to compete with.

Painkiller and Farcry both have, in my opinion a great single player, but i haven't seen anything radically good in multiplayer. Whether HL2 will sort this is as yet to be seen as i've seen very little giving specific info on it.

Just my 2p.

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable
    blockers - im guessin PC-DVD, 4gb odd.
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

If you get a customer, or an employee, who thinks he's Charles Bronson, take the butt of your gun and smash their nose in.

Thanks
    My brother bought and played through 3/4 of it a while ago, now I've recently installed it, and I'm having a blast playing through it.

What is it?
    System Shock 2.

The weapons might not be that interesting, and the bad guys a bit repetitive, but it has great atmosphere, music, puzzles, and an engaging story line.

I enjoy the almost RPG elements to the skills and HUD, as well as the interactive hacking system, to be honest I'd rather see more thoughtful, intellectually challenging games with action than the mindless , pretty looking guff that gets churned out.

I was not impressed with HL, it did nothing for me, nothing to hook me, the character was boring and it rolled along far too slowly.

HL2 - whoop de doo.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    System Shock 2 was the first game I really got scared by ... it was an amazing atmosphere.

What with the recent developments with Unreal 3 I think that HL2 will be competing with the next generation stuff rather than DX9.

G4 PowerMac - Tiger 10.4 - 512MB RAM
    MacBook - 2Ghz - 1GB RAM - 120GB HDD

Rotel RC970BX | DBX DriveRack |2x Rotel RB850
    B&W DM640i | Velodyne 1512

Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable
    great game but Half Life engine is evil now :S
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

Thanks
    doom 3 is very pretty, and quite scary, cant say i was superly impressed though

Thanks
    system shock 2, farcry and doom3 are very good at being scary. The small tridents in farcry were maybe a bit too scary though (one hit kills, they jump really far and take 3 shotgun hits to kill!). I definatly enjoyed killing the people more (the ones without riot sheilds and face marks anyway)

I dont like games that are puzzles, I cba to complete them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information