• PSU:
      • 150W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li Aluminium ABX-951
      • Monitor(s):
      • SG-942IPS 42" 3840x2160 0.01ms 5,000,000,000:1
      • Internet:
      • 10Gb Virgin Media Cable

Question Does this Exist? = Voice Prompt Helper For RTS Games like StarCraft II

I was wondering if a program like this exists?...

Some background first...

I am rubbish at RTS games, but am recently enjoying playing Starcraft II, and I want to get better at it. I understand RTS games are all about getting the perfect start, building in the right order, and not wasting any resources by building something too soon. I played against Insane Computer and was amazed at how fast he attacked, with such a large army, before I had even built more than a few men...

So I watched the replay and saw how everything was timed perfectly building at the right time... I started writing the order of building, to copy it, to get the perfectly timed start, then I thought of a better way... I could record my voice, watching the computer in real time, saying "Build Supply Depot", "Train 2 SCV", "Build Barracks" - And it would be timed for exactly when I would have enough resources to build them... Then I wondered...

Is there a program out there that does this kind of voice prompt instructions already?

Thanks
    • jjgreenwood's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus p6 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel 930 i7 4.0GHZ
      • Memory:
      • corsair ddr3 1600 6gb
      • Storage:
      • 80gb ssd 1tb samsung f3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • gtx480 sli
      • PSU:
      • corsair 1000w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone ft01s-w
      • Operating System:
      • win 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Alienware Aw2310
      • Internet:
      • BT broadband

Re: Does this Exist? = Voice Prompt Helper For RTS Games like StarCraft II

windows voice recorder

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Is Insane Computer still using the same rules though? Sometimes they allow computer AIs to cheat a little to make up for their deficiency in other areas.

Thanks
    • cleaverlch's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T
      • CPU:
      • i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6GB DDR3 1333 GSkill
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256GB, 3TB + 1TB + 650GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD6950
      • PSU:
      • Corsair tx 650w
      • Case:
      • antec p180b
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" 2713hm
      • Internet:
      • Cable

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Is Insane Computer still using the same rules though? Sometimes they allow computer AIs to cheat a little to make up for their deficiency in other areas.
    The insane AI cheats. I don't remember the details but I believe it was extra resources and no fog of war.

Thanks

Having a voice read out the build order is fine until something happens to change it.

Harassment or proper scouting can easily change what you aim to build.

If against T and I guess / see their pushing mass marines then I’ll focus on Stalkers. If there is more of a Marauder build then I’ll need more Zealots etc.

I’ve not played many games yet as I keep running out of time but I’ve been watching commentary from Day9 (day9tv.blip.tv/) which is great. He’s a high level player but also not a recluse unlike some of the other people I’ve seen / heard doing commentary.

There’s also a huge bit on the team liquid site: www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=34
    - Cantankerous -
    - GSV - MarlinsUK - TNGC -

6. Received thanks from:

Andaho (26-08-2010)

Thanks
    • AdamAnubis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-EP45-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel E8400 Stock cooler + speeds
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 2x2gb
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Seagate Barracude S-ATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650W
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • VX2240 Viewsoic 22"
      • Internet:
      • 2MB Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I'd imagine so, in CoH they do anyway. Expert always has more units within 5 mints of the game (more than is physically possible in terms of rescourses) so something similar probably applies.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

I can see the logic, but to be honest the build orders really only help you at the start of the game, for the very basics.

Sticking with Terran..This means building SCVs until you hit 10/11 supply, then build a supply depot, then a barracks next to it using the same SCV (building your wall here), then another supply depot again with that SCV. Whilst building your second supply depot, pump out 2 marines and also use another SCV to start your gas.

While you are doing that you should be constantly pumping out SCVs (I usually keep 2 queued up), and should also have sent out an SCV to scout the enemy. You can then stop producing SCVs for 30seconds only, and start your orbital command..then its back to pumping SCVs none stop.

By the time your 1st gas it up, and your 2nd supply depot is up, you should have scouted your enemy (this is probably at around a total of 15 units produced). What you do next will depend on what your enemy has done.

My advice is to practice the opening few moves, and then you really have to play it by ear. My personal favourite at the moment is to produce 2 rax, 1 factory (tech requirement) and a starport ASAP. Get the shield + stim upgrades, produce 3 medivacs and then load them up with marines/marauders - 2 marauders per medivac, rest marines.

Then head off and drop them on your enemies SCVs/workers..stim stim stim and within 10 seconds all their workers are dead and the base is wiped out..works a treat if your enemy has no AA. Scouting will tell you that, so shows how critical.

OR

If they do, the planetary fortress rush is a fun one. If they start to go defensive, they will probably stay inside their base, so I enjoy building a secondary base just outside theirs (in their expansion, slapping 3 bunkers around it full of Mar/maur, and tunring it into a planetary fortress. Eventually they get curious and come out to get splatted..a planetary fortress being repaired by 10 SCVs is near invincible against mid-game units Again this only works if the enemy is going AA/Tutle though.

etc etc. The more you play the more ideas you will come up with, and the more counters etc..can't emphasize the importance of scouting enough. Its often worth playing the 3v3 or 4v4 games a lot too as you can learn from your team mates in terms of strategy. Keep at it, you'll get there

9. Received thanks from:

Andaho (26-08-2010)

Thanks

You might as well learn the shortcuts to make buildings if you are gonna use voice prompts.

Much quicker and more accurate.

Thanks
    • Andaho's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS iX2 GTXS
      • CPU:
      • XC18650 4.2GHz 10664FSB 16 Core
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (2x32GB sticks) PC21320 Corsair Domititan Magnetic RAM 0 latency
      • Storage:
      • 16TB Western Digital SATAV 28800RPM Ultra Edition 1GB Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX AMD 9985GTS LP 25Watt
      • PSU:
      • 150W Corsair
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li Aluminium ABX-951
      • Monitor(s):
      • SG-942IPS 42" 3840x2160 0.01ms 5,000,000,000:1
      • Internet:
      • 10Gb Virgin Media Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Geist View Post
    Having a voice read out the build order is fine until something happens to change it.

Harassment or proper scouting can easily change what you aim to build.

If against T and I guess / see their pushing mass marines then I’ll focus on Stalkers. If there is more of a Marauder build then I’ll need more Zealots etc.

I’ve not played many games yet as I keep running out of time but I’ve been watching commentary from Day9 (day9tv.blip.tv/) which is great. He’s a high level player but also not a recluse unlike some of the other people I’ve seen / heard doing commentary.

There’s also a huge bit on the team liquid site: www.teamliquid.net/forum/index.php?show_part=34
    Ofc I know that... I'm just slow and forgetful But having played some more, following my written guide: 3 SCV > Supply Depot > 2 SCV > Barracks > 2 SCV > Barracks > etc... I think I've practiced enough to have it sorted now

And thanks for the link to Day9. He's got a personality that makes the nerdiness of watching a game replay, entertaining

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    I can see the logic, but to be honest the build orders really only help you at the start of the game, for the very basics.

Sticking with Terran..This means building SCVs until you hit 10/11 supply, then build a supply depot, then a barracks next to it using the same SCV (building your wall here), then another supply depot again with that SCV. Whilst building your second supply depot, pump out 2 marines and also use another SCV to start your gas.

While you are doing that you should be constantly pumping out SCVs (I usually keep 2 queued up), and should also have sent out an SCV to scout the enemy. You can then stop producing SCVs for 30seconds only, and start your orbital command..then its back to pumping SCVs none stop.

By the time your 1st gas it up, and your 2nd supply depot is up, you should have scouted your enemy (this is probably at around a total of 15 units produced). What you do next will depend on what your enemy has done.

My advice is to practice the opening few moves, and then you really have to play it by ear. My personal favourite at the moment is to produce 2 rax, 1 factory (tech requirement) and a starport ASAP. Get the shield + stim upgrades, produce 3 medivacs and then load them up with marines/marauders - 2 marauders per medivac, rest marines.

Then head off and drop them on your enemies SCVs/workers..stim stim stim and within 10 seconds all their workers are dead and the base is wiped out..works a treat if your enemy has no AA. Scouting will tell you that, so shows how critical.

OR

If they do, the planetary fortress rush is a fun one. If they start to go defensive, they will probably stay inside their base, so I enjoy building a secondary base just outside theirs (in their expansion, slapping 3 bunkers around it full of Mar/maur, and tunring it into a planetary fortress. Eventually they get curious and come out to get splatted..a planetary fortress being repaired by 10 SCVs is near invincible against mid-game units Again this only works if the enemy is going AA/Tutle though.

etc etc. The more you play the more ideas you will come up with, and the more counters etc..can't emphasize the importance of scouting enough. Its often worth playing the 3v3 or 4v4 games a lot too as you can learn from your team mates in terms of strategy. Keep at it, you'll get there
    Thank you for the detailed guide Having practiced a few more games, I think a voice guide would only be useful for a couple games anyway... after that, if you haven't picked it up, you're never going to lol.
    Last edited by Andaho; 26-08-2010 at 06:18 AM.

Thread Information