Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Warfare 3 - It's not as bad as you think..

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Modern Warfare 3 - It's not as bad as you think..

Firstly, no fan boy back and forth in here please gents, I'm hopped up on Turkey and Milk Tray and I think the interwebs have already had enough of the .Vs debate anyway

What I'm going to do has never been attempted before by anyone.. No, I'm not going to try and get Kerry Katona away from the buffet.. Harder than even that, I intend to chat about Modern Warfare 3 without at any point mentioning Battlefield 3. Well, apart from just then but shhh.. Nobody else noticed

My experience with in until I recieved it this christmas was entirely the multiplayer side and not much of that beyond basic skirmishes in Team Deathmatch. But, y'know what? It's not that bad at all. I know that's not a ringing endorsement, perhaps if I elaborate though it'll clear things up. The campaign, yup it's ludicrously short. It clocked in at a little over six hours for a play through on "regular". I hadn't even finished my Toblorone at that point BUT, I knew what was happening most of the time. Which was nice; Modern Warfare 2 was a cluster fumble even Michael Bay would've found plot holes in but this one at least makes sense. There are some nice set pieces too. My biggest problem is the formula itself feels stale now. Everything you actually play is still fun but *spolier* you get shot in the head when you're least expecting it in a cut scene.. Again, like you have twice before and the game yearns to remind you of how awesome stealthing your way around Pripyat in COD 4 was, it plays that nostalgia card hard several times but never actually lives up to one of Modern Warfares best moments.

The multiplayer is exactly what you think it is. Marmite as far as some gamers are concerned. It's tighter though and while it may not look any better the benefit of working with the same engine for so many years is obvious online. Kill Confirmed mode is a work of genius too. Pure, unadulterated genius

The best bit? Spec Ops. The survival mode's pants, it lacks all the charm of Treyarchs Nazi Zombies. The structured missions will however give you an extra five or six hours single player content if you so desire. Or, ten to twelve hours of your own personal Black Hawk Down moments if you get an extra player on your sofa or via Xbox Live. I could spend the next half an hour outlining the majesty that was my last play through of "Hit and Run" working in a two man team covering hostages for extraction but I'd rather go play it again

All hate for Activision and a lack of innovation in the industry aside... I like it

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Modern Warfare 3 - It's not as bad as you think..

i enjoy MW3 it is the same as the others but that doesnt mean that it isnt enjoyable. i do have issues with it, for example the massive use of the fmg9's and rapid fire type 95's . but the use of these weapons wont stop me playing it. the thing i dont like people doing is when they compare cod to battlefiels as they are completely different games, battle field being the more strategic and cod being the run and gun game of the two. i myself find it very hard to play battlefield after playing cod for so long because the game type difference is so Major.

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

I find comparisons between MW3 and BF3 to be about as useful as comparing Forza 4 to Burnout Paradise, while there are similarities they are all clearly different games. For me MW3 is the more compelling game, I think BF3 is a great game too but for pick up and play value I just find MW3 easier to get on with. I think I have played BF3 for close to 10 hours since it launched and MW3 for about 150 hours since that launched. This is my first time with a Call of Duty game though, and I can understand that others might not appreciate that this game is enough of a development on previous versions but not why the game gets so much hate.

Thanks
    • mikeo01's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85i Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230V3
      • Memory:
      • G.Skill RipJaws 2133MHZ
      • Storage:
      • Plextor M5S 128GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • VTX3D R9 290
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster VS450
      • Case:
      • Corsair 250D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 PRO, Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" W2261VP

I agree with you two, its a completely different game, how you play it is different, the maps are different, the multiplayer is different.

The whole argument about MW3 is rubbish, BF3 is the best, or the other way around is nonsense. See any threads about say Homefront and BF3? Both shooters at the end of the day, whoop dee doo.

A shooter is a shooter, you can't compare them really because they are made by completely different companies, yes they are in competition but if they were the same then you may as well join the two games.

BF3 and MW3 have too different ways on game play, both want to set themselves aside from each other. Its all down to preference at the end of the day, there is no real winner.

Besides, it does also depend on how players play the game in multiplayer, that's why you may find some servers to be all out battles, some stealthy, some strategic. its the players who shape the game

My advice to people who argue about the topic... just enjoy the game!

Thanks
    • Steve A's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene IV
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 2600K (4.3Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair 1600
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb SSD + 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA - GTX680
      • PSU:
      • 750W BeQuiet Pro GOLD
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R White
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus 3D Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 100Mb BT Fibre

I dont really compare the two as they are different games with different objectives ..

I detest MW3 its absolute rubbish imo (but thats just my opinion)

Love BF3, a superior game in every way (but again thats just my opinion)

there are plenty that think the total oposite which is the same for 99.9% of things in life

One person crap is anothers gold.

agree with most, it's all down to preference and it will always be that way. but to compare the two is a little unrealistic.

(I did love the MW3 TV adverts though ... absloute class)
    Last edited by Steve A; 13-03-2012 at 01:38 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

Not trying to pour petrol on a fire but I just have to say I cannot play BF3 at all, I purchased it for release date, played an hour or two of it and just felt, well, let down. I feel BF3 is way too team based and if you're on a team with people who can't play well, you just loose. Not only that but I prefer the fast paced nature of MW3, it's much more enjoyable than just being sniped cross map or someone gun you down with a tank.

Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by 56kbs View Post
    Not trying to pour petrol on a fire but I just have to say I cannot play BF3 at all, I purchased it for release date, played an hour or two of it and just felt, well, let down. I feel BF3 is way too team based and if you're on a team with people who can't play well, you just loose. Not only that but I prefer the fast paced nature of MW3, it's much more enjoyable than just being sniped cross map or someone gun you down with a tank.

Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong?
    No you're not doing it wrong. You're right in everything you say.

I was playing BF3 with a group of friends, they set up their own server and as a community all contribute to the running costs of the server and that works well. It is kept public to try and keep it populated and there is a weekly group day and time to meet up. When playing with a group like this it is easy to get great team work going, chat services like Ventrilo and Mumble help to keep the squads in constant communication and then each squad offers help and guidance to n00bs so that they can learn how to play the game.

One of the reasons I stopped playing is that I'm busy on the game night, clashes with other family commitments and playing alone means I have the same experience you have described, MW3 on the other hand is easier to play as a lone wolf and the challenges and rewards make it a lot more fun even when playing with a badly organised/non-communicating team. Besides in my opinion it is not a good idea to communicate with MW3 players as the level of trash talk is proportionately too high when compared to the amount of team talk/orders.

Thanks

I like it, had no care for it and had no intension of buying it however, my mate bought it me for xmas so i ended up installing it and giving it ago...seems i really enjoy it lol

Prestige 5 already XD but still i found the akimbos are easy to take out, just akimbo them! problem solved...then they shout down the mic "akimbo noob" some people on there....oh well makes it more funny!

Got to agree aswell kill comfirmed is a fav type of mine but dont play it alot as most of mates do S&D and team deathmatch
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I really need to play MW3 at some point.....just cannot bring myself to pay 30-40 quid for yet another re-skin :S
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I really need to play MW3 at some point.....just cannot bring myself to pay 30-40 quid for yet another re-skin :S
    its free to play this weekend on steam from what i have heard.

11. Received thanks from:

shaithis (15-02-2012)

Registered+
    Thanks

shaithis - I somewhat agree with you, it does feel like a re-skin but the pointstreaks and stuff are pretty decent and change up of guns keeps it more interesting.

razer121- I just got to 5th prestige too, I mainly play team defender and I find a single MP9 can outgun FMG9's on occasion.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    As much as I've enjoyed it I wouldn't either mate, I like it, but not at full price. Not unless you know you're going to really enjoy the single player content. I ended up playing through it purely because it was a christmas present. Get a good deal on Steam however and it's worth a purchase imo

I tried to leave it unmentioned as much as possiible in my original post but seeing as people have brought it up - as far as BF3 goes, to be honest I wasn't going to pick that up either. I played through most of the single player with a friend (which is sub par tbh, I really couldn't get into it) and a little multiplayer then went back to Bad Company 2. Maybe I'm weird but to me it feels better, looks similar enough and not picking up BF3 saves me forty quid..

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Free-to-play this weekend on Steam.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

Should be more active than usual in that case.

Registered+
    Thanks

Either more noobs or more hackers, either way, it will suck...

Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by 56kbs View Post
    Either more noobs or more hackers, either way, it will suck...
    Not for me, I'm a n00b, more n00bs might give me more of a chance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information