Thread: UFO.. Terror from the Deep ?

Commander Keen
    Thanks

UFO.. Terror from the Deep ?

If those two mean anything warm and fuzzy to you when combined with X-com. Then you will understand - maybe - my insane addiction to these games.. They have pretty much all the aspects that I want in a game - non-fps - its challenging and diverse. SOOOO ambitious. Its like UBER chess.

Every so often I just see the cd lying there and I think ? Can I afford to lose a week of my life right now ? can I ?

U play it for soo long that days just come and go and you don't have a darn clue what has happened. I don't even get this bad when I play CM.

I fired up Terror from the deep because it is way the tougher of the two. UFO has a lot more hours of my life over the last 10 years though. Seriously.. Some games deserve to be banned from classic release - or have a public warning.

Got these for £10 when I bought a voddoo 5 !! I was like "I have bought the most expensive graphical hardware possible.. what goes with that ?".. oh yeah. an ancient game with isometric graphics.

Anybody share my addiction ?

Thanks
    Well I'm playing Fallout on a 9800 graphics card and a 22" CRT and it does seem like a waste of good hardware but I'm enjoying this game more than Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic. Same sort of thing... different game.

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    Ahhh heathens, get lasersquad C64 and spectrum version were the best. Also thers ment to be a new single player version comming out at some point, multiplayer play by email is up and running. UFO Aftermath seems to be the latest version, its simultaneous turnbased, I tried the demo and didnt like it, but might give it a go if its cheap enough.

Commander Keen
    Thanks
    simultaneous turn based ? Seems like BLASPHEMY. Mind you. They have really raped the virtuous name of x-com over the years so I am not surprised. I stopped paying any attention to the new crap.

killgORE fancies some MOHAA tonight. Its methadone for the soul caught by x-com.

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    The turn based but strangely at the same time system isnt too bad. Both players put in the actions they want, then the computer executes them both at the same time. If you come across an enemy orders like overwatch come in to effect, its not too bad just a tad slow for me.
    I did play UFO on my Amiga many moons ago, but allways preferd lazersquad.

Thanks
    Aftermath is good but you cant go into buildings which seems stupid becausde you could in the original and this was a very cool part of the game (Terror from the deep) also the interface isnt as good as TFTD and the bases which you used to construct are not their, this was very cool when the aliens attacked your base, good shadow of the past but nowehere nr as good as TFTD was.

Amazing with all the new technology they seemed to have stepped backwards rather than forwards.

Maybe the new aftershock will allow players inside buildings and also the ships!! these were very cool to go round blasting the aliens.
    Antec P160/Abit IC7Max3/P4 3.02Ghz/PC3200 1GB/120GB Seagate Barracuda/Zalman CP7000/Radeon 128MB PRO with Arctic cooling/120mm fans

Yamaha YZF R6 2004 (Red)

Thanks
    lazersquad is here btw Flibb, the guys that made that now do a new game which u can download - i forget its name though but its been highly rated in pczone etc.
    Antec P160/Abit IC7Max3/P4 3.02Ghz/PC3200 1GB/120GB Seagate Barracuda/Zalman CP7000/Radeon 128MB PRO with Arctic cooling/120mm fans

Yamaha YZF R6 2004 (Red)

Commander Keen
    Thanks
    wooooooooow..
    I found an opensource project that extended the original game to multiplayer... !!!!!!!

Its a case of install the add on. Whack the original game in the x-com dir.. and then run.

Sadly there was nobody online to play it.. But I suppose that can't really be expected.
    *tries to wake friend up so I can pwn him*

[edit]
    more linkage forgettisation.. get it here
    Last edited by killgORE; 02-07-2004 at 01:47 AM.

Thanks
    • dkmech's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @3.16GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb ddr2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2*640gb WD Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 6970
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 690
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Hanns G, 19" Hyundai L90D+
      • Internet:
      • 14Mb
    I loved UFO and X-Com.

Also played a lot of Jagged Alliance 2. Thats a similar type of game. I think I heard there will be a new Jagged Alliance game. Not 100% sure though.
    Tough on mirrors, tough on the causes of mirrors.

Thanks
    I started off with the original Laser Squad on my 286- wicked game, shame there were only 4 (5?) maps.

Then I got UFO and then X-Com. UFO I played from Start to finish, X-Com I was a bit disappointed with; although the underwater 'atlantis' type levels blew me away with their graphical beauty (this was about '94 remember) the game itself played pretty much exactly the same as UFO, it was as if they'd just reskinned it.

When I got back into PCs about 3 years ago we got all the X-Com games for a tenner at PC World. I'm still tempted to dig out the disc every so often.

Rich :¬)

Commander Keen
    Thanks
    don't be tempted.. That is WHY i don't sleep much.. You start it.. You play it. You get addicted. Then Its morning. Possibly the morning after the morning you started playing it.

This is ofcourse if you play it 'properly' where the missions take ages because you are trying to not loose a soldier ! This is v tricky. You need to make sure their stamina is enough, and they can re-act to aliens they see when they move.

So baby steps around the map. in groups of two. So people are always covered is the only way to ensure this. <- some varient on this tactic i.e. having 'good' snipers immediately as high as can be. Covering various people. Once you get some decent "psy" soldiers then things get quite easy.

Run someone forward. Find Alien. Control alien. Turn 360 degrees. If it see's another alien. Take control etc. Tire out each alien and throw its weapon away. etc. Easy. hardly need to move troops !

Best of luck. I am still getting friends to install the multiplayer. So I will have a trial run soon !

Thread Information