Thread: Consoles in general

isn't trying to wind U up Shooty*'s Avatar
    Thanks
    • Shooty*'s system
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • ThermalTake Tsunami Dream, black, windowed.
      • Internet:
      • Plus Net

Consoles in general

MOrning all,

For the purposes of this post, please pretend that the PS4 and Xbox 720 are not coming out.

I have a wii. We play it a bit at home. We do the Wii Sports, my son loves Lego Star Wars. I'm fairly partial to a bit of Super Paper Mario, Lego Batman, Sports Resort, and a few others. Good, fun, platform games.

By brother has a 360. He's about to sell it. I thought about buying it.

Then I looked at the kind of games you can get for it. Obv, you can get the Lego titles, and there are racing games (which, with the exception of WipeOut, are not really my cup of tea), but other than that, most of the games seemed to be "Call of Duty", "Call Of Duty 2: THis time it's The Nam", "Call of Duty 3: Back To WW2", "Call of duty: Black Ops".

OK, that's a bit flippant, but a LOT of FPS stuff. Which is what I have my PC for, and I suck at FPS on console controls.

Historically, I had a PS2 and loved SSX Tricky, Devil May Cry, Ico, FFX.

So, asking from a position of admitted ignorance, even having looked at the "best 100 PS2/ 360 games EVA!!!! LOL!" charts, which console is more fun, and coming as I am from a family entertainment background, should I just stick with the wii.

I've not even mentioned the dance games with the Xbox video bar thingy... suppose that's meant to be good?

Thanks
    My HTPC: Linky

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Re: Consoles in general

I have a PS3. So far, I've used it for GT5 (PS3 exclusive, found it disappointing compared to GT2/3/4 and sold it...), Rockstar releases ahead of the PC, so GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, and LA Noire. Of those, I didn't like Red Dead Redemption much, and GTA IV and LA Noire have been much more enjoyable on the PC (but I did need to wait for a PC release). I've played the Uncharted games, since they're meant to be good examples of PS3 gaming, but thought they were woefully bad. That really leaves the "party games", like Singstar, Buzz, and LittleBigPlanet... I don't particularly enjoy them myself, but they seem to go down well.

As for me actually enjoying the usage of the console, that would be co-op Dynasty Warriors, and Ratchet and Clank. If they were out on PC, I'd play them on PC, but they aren't, so I make do with PS3.

So ultimately, there are two series that I can vouch for in terms of console gaming, but that's about the limit. On that basis, can I justify spending £300+ on a new console? No, not really. When I got the PS3 I was much more optimistic about new releases, things like GT5, Timesplitters, arena shooters like Red Faction 2, but it never really materialised for me. Everything I expected to enjoy I either didn't, or did, but found a PC port more enjoyable.

I can't compare PS3 and Xbox (I've never played on an Xbox or a 360, not once), but coming from the PC perspective I struggle to see the value any more.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

I very rarely play on my PS3 or Xbox anymore. There are some good old skool Xbox arcade games, like JetPack, Track + Field, R-Type etc, but I can't think of a recent AAA title I've wanted to buy. Maybe something like Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, Overlord.

On the PS3, the obvious standouts are Uncharted - they were awesome.

isn't trying to wind U up Shooty*'s Avatar
    Thanks
    • Shooty*'s system
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Modular 620W
      • Case:
      • ThermalTake Tsunami Dream, black, windowed.
      • Internet:
      • Plus Net

INteresting... diametrically opposite opinions on Uncharted within 2 consecutive posts. I've heard it compared to Far Cry 3. Valid?
    My HTPC: Linky

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

I have found lately I have been using Big Picture Mode on Steam and streaming to the TV from my PC. Most PC games now support play with a 360 pad, over 100 hours of Bordertlands 2 so far and all of it with Gamepad, also played through Dishonored & Skyrim with a pad and had no issues at all.

My PS3 lately I have been playing The Fight primarily for fitness / workout which uses two motion controllers.

I do have a fair few games on my PS3 but I have replaced a lot of the games where available on PC. I did play the Assassins Creed series on PS3 originally but now have all of them on UPlay, also Dead Rising 2, Batman AA & AC, Dark Souls (Not bothered with since finishing and haven't replaced with PC version and won't!! ). I loved Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption and the Uncharted Games which aren't available on PC.

I tend to be buying more retro stuff from the PSN Store lately. I have the Sly Racoon Trilogy (HD remaster versions), a few PS2 games, nothing overly special though, things like Pilot Down and Maximo. Have a fair few PS1 games like Silent Hill, Soul Reaver, James Pond 2, Alundra (Awesome Zelda clone), Parasite Eve 2, Medievil, Crash Bandicoot & Driver for example.

I also use the 3D on the few games that support it with move also if the game has that functionality (Killzone 3 for example). The Bluray playback on PS3 supports 3D Bluray Movies, bought Dredd the other week and granted the transfer to 3D Bluray is quite poor (Damn you Entertainment in Video) as you get bad color bleed on blacks but the 3D itself is awesome.

I do really like my PS3, but PC and Steam have most gaming covered now.

If you are thinking on a 360 or PS3 I would say look on the PSN Store online for PS3 stuff to see what is available if you like the older games :

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwo...n-gb/home/main

Also look at titles that are dedicated to specific consoles to see what you are more interested in. As and example the 360 has the Gears of War games and the PS3 has Uncharted and Resistance games.

6. Received thanks from:

Shooty* (20-02-2013)

Thanks
    • grayg1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Patriot Viper 3 (x2 8GB, x2 4GB)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial 240GB M500 | 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Nanoxia DS1

If you're looking for unique games that are less PC like then the PS3 is a better fit than Xbox 360. I would also say the PS3 is a much better console for younger children. I wouldn't bother buying the Xbox 360 as most of the childrens titles will be on Wii (allbeit not as good versions) and superior versions of multiformat titles are on your PC.

It comes down to how much you want to play Gears of War, Halo and Forza I guess.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Shooty* View Post
    INteresting... diametrically opposite opinions on Uncharted within 2 consecutive posts. I've heard it compared to Far Cry 3. Valid?
    I've not played Far Cry 3, but I have played Far Cry 2... will assume they're vaguely similar. And no, I can't imagine anyone in their right minds comparing the two. Also worth mentioning I haven't got to the second game (still haven't been arsed to complete the first one, despite owning it for years).

FC is an open world, with freedom over where to go and what to do, but ultimately comes down to a basic shooter.

Uncharted is more like the evolution of an old 2D platformer, leaping from branch to branch, or ledge to ledge, and if you don't time it right, you plummet to your death. There are brief interludes of puzzles, but they're so moronic I don't know why they bothered putting them in. Then there are some rail shooter or driving sections, which are okay. And there are gunfights, but to me it's just really dull cover based shooting. In fact, I would say they're the worst thing about the game, just seem really tacked on. And of course, what all of this together means, is that it's not open world at all, it's just point to point action, much more like CoD in that respect. There's no real deviation from the clearly marked trail, everything's blocked off.

Clearly I differ from the majority opinion in disliking it, so clearly my opinion of the combat and the puzzles aren't the norm, but I'm confident in saying that it's primarily a puzzle/platformer, which makes it a very different prospect to an open-world shooter.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Best way to look at the Uncharted games is a cross between Tomb Raider and Indiana Jones.

I love them personally, visually they are stunning, sound is superb and the stories to each game are excellent.

You have your puzzle elements where you will be moving round areas and pulling levers, pushing blocks and generally trying not to fall to your demise. City rooftops on the second game are amazing as was the bit with the helicopter where it destroys a building you are in and near the top, it starts to topple and you have to escape, it is a white knuckle ride. Combat is typical of most 3rd person games now with a cover mechanic to pop out and shoot at enemies. There are some free running type bits also akin to the AC games where it doesn't require you to be hitting buttons every few seconds to do stuff.

They are fine games, my wife even loves watching me play them which is something!

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

They're completely different games, with completely different faults/pros - but they should certainly be approached with the same amount of meritocracy.

Stand out games on the PS3 would be Uncharted (personally, its over-hyped), God of War, GT5 and IMO, LBP. Little Big Planet has been one of the best games i've played this gen online with friends - and its this point that really, is the biggest sticking point for both platforms. If you've got plenty of mates that have a PS3 then i'd go with that.

On the 360 side there is the obvious Halo, Gears, Forza offerings. Other games i'd suggest would be the Banjo Kazooie game (immense game that was massively under appreciated due to it not being a "proper" BK game) and Viva Pinata. Again, Halo online co-op with friends cannot be beaten, especially Halo 3's campaign.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Oh grief, God of War - cheers for that Terbinator, totally forgot. I'd been told that was amazing by so many people, and eventually got the third instalment for PS3. I think I lasted about half an hour before putting it up for sale somewhere.

Considering how many PC games I've enjoyed over the years (and console for that matter), I don't know what the hell has happened with me and the current era of console gaming. Clearly we've diverged somewhere along the line though.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Oh grief, God of War - cheers for that Terbinator, totally forgot. I'd been told that was amazing by so many people, and eventually got the third instalment for PS3. I think I lasted about half an hour before putting it up for sale somewhere.

Considering how many PC games I've enjoyed over the years (and console for that matter), I don't know what the hell has happened with me and the current era of console gaming. Clearly we've diverged somewhere along the line though.
    I don't actually mind God of War (He says, still not having finished the third one he picked up on release) but then i'ma sucker for DmC/Ninja Gaiden etc.

Edit: Its also worth noting this year looks a lot better for PS3 releases than the apparent non-existent 360 ones.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

The Lego series is available on PS3 and 360, and I think you get extra oomph with them in comparison to the Wii.

Other than that, most of the big releases are available on both consoles, so it's a question of your own choice. I have the PS3, and tend to use it more these days as a blu-ray/media-centre rather than for gaming, but then I don't actually get much time for gaming at all these days...

Edit: With regard to God of War, it may be that you have to play the 1st 2 in order to get the back story and feel some empathy for the character. Not sure though, I've had it in my collection for about 2 years now, waiting for me to re-finish the first 2 HD remixes...

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    Edit: With regard to God of War, it may be that you have to play the 1st 2 in order to get the back story and feel some empathy for the character. Not sure though, I've had it in my collection for about 2 years now, waiting for me to re-finish the first 2 HD remixes...
    I think its more the case of you're either into that type of game or not.

If you go into the game expecting one thing, and what you essentially get is a more polished Ninja Gaiden, i can see why there may be some aversion to it.

Beat 'em ups, button mashers etc are only so deep.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    Beat 'em ups, button mashers etc are only so deep.
    True, but I like Dynasty Warriors

Thanks
    • Chadders87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Sata3)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire AMD Radeon 7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 450w (140mm)
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Prodigy
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 21.5'
      • Internet:
      • Sky Unlimited

Ant game worth playing is on both consoles. I hear Little Big Planet is good though with alot of user content, but it's a Sony (PS3 / Vita) exclusive.

Other than games, Xbox needs a subscription of £30ish a year to access Xbox Live, whereas the PlasyStation Network is free (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm on Xbox and PC only).

Others have already mentioned it, but steams Big Screen Mode effectively turns your PC into a console with greater graphics, mods and cheaper games through the numerous digital download sales.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

I've not played Far Cry 3 either, but I thought that was a FPS?

I may not be the best person to rate games. I tend to enjoy very story heavy action games.

I really enjoyed the first Ninja Gaiden games, but only managed about 10 mins of Ninja Gaiden 3.
    I really enjoyed Dante's Inferno, but couldn't get into God of War 3 despite all the media raving about it.
    I just completed Dead Island and really enjoyed that, but as a rule don't like RPGs - I hated S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

The Uncharted games are very heavy on story with a good mix of platform and 3rd person shooting, but they are on rails rather an explore everywhere kind of games.

Thread Information