• Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Sony Streaming PS service incoming

A little surprised that there isn't a homepage article on this yet (no doubt one is on its way though), I picked it up from the BBC this evening:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25645867

Basically Sony is going to provide a streaming game service from its servers to PS4, smart TVs and other devices. It's an interesting concept, leading on from OnLive's offering (which I don't think ever gained much traction), and will be intersting to keep an eye on. Given SteamOS's apparent focus on streaming games from your PC, I did wonder if Valve had considered doing an online game streaming service as an option for SteamOS. Apparently Sony think the infrastructure is there to support such a service, so perhaps streaming your library from Valve's servers will end up being an option on SteamOS after all (it would certainly provide a more obvious use-case for a SteamBox....).

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Re: Sony Streaming PS service incoming

Umm this is not really "new" they announced this back with the initial ps4 reveal stuff (back when they only showed off the controller not what the actual ps4 looked like) this was their big answer to backwards compatibility, you'd play the games off a streaming service (Gaikai which they bought in 2012)
    What is news is their plans to allow other devices to run it not just the ps4.

Unfortunately it could well suffer the same issues as onlive, the service worked (for 720p res) but most places internet infrastructure couldn't cope, where resolution could drop and often leading to high latency which causes interface control lag for some games it was not such an issue but for some (eg fighting games) it made them pretty unplayable.

Although OnLive also had a major issue in Apple, apparently they had an ipad app all ready to go but Apple refused to let them release it. (at that time Apple was still the only major player on the table scene) This meant that the only real market for it was pc users, the majority of pc owners who want to play games already have pc's that can play games so didn't really want a service you had to pay for, which was reliant on the internet infrastructure in your area.

So far the steamOS/steamBox streaming is only "In-House" ie in your own home, so you can stream a game from a pc to another or to a steamBox, pretty much the same this nVidia has done with the shield.
    Steaming over your home wifi/network/router doesn't have nearly the issues that a internet streaming system does, nVidia has proved this with the shield, big question "do you want to play your pc games on your TV instead of your pc?" because that pretty much what it comes down to.

The current steambox information is still very scattered, but atm it's looking like any small form factor units built from a fixed (but rather large) an approved hardware list that will run the SteamOS
    The current crop from CES http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming...u-buy--1213121
    The whole thing seems to be a bit of a mess, the basic idea of a custom linux OS streamlined for limited hardware and optimised for only games/limited software is nice, as developers should be able to get far more out of pc hardware (which is basically what MS and sony are doing for the new consoles).
    But the hardware library seems to be fairly large and will grow over time.
    This is leading to a large range of units at different prices, many of which are rather high compared to the current consoles, this is going to create some major confusion in the larger public and could be it's undoing.

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor

Main reason I would be interested in this is it would allow me to play the PS3 games I've missed out on and want to play on my PS4 but I won't believe it until I see it. OnLive was great on paper but terrible in action.

Registered+
    Thanks

Doubt we will see it in the EU this year

Registered+
    Thanks
    • DeArmittE's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Pro3 r2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom ii x4 965 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Crucial Ballistix (2 x 4GB)
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 660 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX500
      • Case:
      • (Soon To Be, currently generic) Nanoxia Deep Silence One
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC I2367Fh

Quote Originally Posted by Dooms View Post
    Main reason I would be interested in this is it would allow me to play the PS3 games I've missed out on and want to play on my PS4 but I won't believe it until I see it. OnLive was great on paper but terrible in action.
    Yep OnLive looked promising, but after it's shaky start I'm hoping everyone can get streaming games right from now on.

Registered+
    Thanks

I can't see streaming games really taking off for a while still. At least until fibreoptic broadband becomes the norm rather than the top-end product.

Thread Information