• Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

C64

Hi All,

Quick question. Does anyone know of a good (and of course legal) C64 Emulator and ROM site? Recently got the urge to relive my childhood and play a bit The Untouchables, Robocop, Manic Mansion and the all-time classic, Soccer Rivals…

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: C64

I did this a few years back for the amstrad CPC 6128

Problem is..... the emulator didn't allow for the WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY higher clock speed of modern CPUs (and at the time it was an athlon-760!!!). Everything was so fast it was unplayable. You'd need the reflexes of bishop/data to be able to play it.

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770-UD3 revision 2
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI ATI Radeon HD 6950 Twin FrozR II OC 2048MB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    I did this a few years back for the amstrad CPC 6128

Problem is..... the emulator didn't allow for the WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY higher clock speed of modern CPUs (and at the time it was an athlon-760!!!). Everything was so fast it was unplayable. You'd need the reflexes of bishop/data to be able to play it.
    Don't tell me it's not possible?! We've put someone on the moon, but no one has made it possible for me to play Emlyn Hughes International Soccer on my PC?!

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

I remember VICE being pretty good, sure you can throttle any decent emulator down to a playable speed?

I'm quite positive that I've seen a Javascript C64 emulator that ran in your browser somewhere, had a few games included with it.

5. Received thanks from:

opel80uk (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    • cheesyboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabye 970a-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 270 Cooled by fanless Xigmatek Thor's Hammer
      • Memory:
      • 1x4GB Ballistix Tactical 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX560Ti
      • PSU:
      • 400w Be Quiet Pure Power L8
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Shinobi Mid-Tower Black/Green
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

lemon64 is a great resource. No ROMs, other than a handful legally allowed by rights owners, but a great starting point for PC C64-ing

I used to use CCS64 as my emulator of choice, but it's been some years since I did any C64 gaming on it.

7. Received thanks from:

opel80uk (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

There are 2 emulators that are worth getting, you will not have any speed issues at all, they work like a dream :

WinVice (Covers C64, C128, C16/+4, Pet, Vic & G64 (Cart system))

http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/

CCS64

http://www.ccs64.com/

Personally I would go with Vice as it is a bit more user friendly and runs 99% of all games. When not using my proper C64 Vice is the emulator of choice for me. Really easy to setup screen size, PC joystick (I use a wireless 360 controller on it) etc

As for the games a lot of them the owners still hold the copyright on them so its a bit of a grey area.

Back in 99 or so I legally bought C64 Classix from HMV which has around 3000 games on it, trouble is finding it now (same goes for Speccy99), however if you do buy the original disc then you can just copy the folder from the CD onto your hard drive and run them with Vice, my copy of C64 Classix does have Vice on it, however understandably it is a really old version and doesn't work on newer versions of Windows and has loads of bug fixes etc.

Found one which is similar to mine on Play :

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/-/4083/...x/Product.html

There is also a 99 game collection with Competition Pro Joystick on AmigaKit, you can get an adapter which will allow you to use the old 9 pin sticks on the PC :

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=978

There is also C64 Forever which is a custom build of Vice I think it is with full menu and support, quicker to setup and use than Vice (Personally not keen on C64 & Amiga Forever, each to their own though) :

http://www.c64forever.com/

You need a bit more info give me a shout and I will help out where I can with being an 8 Bit nut and owning Spectrum, Commodore, Amstrad and the likes, it runs through my veins!!!

If you fancy having a tinker with some of the older cartridge based systems and arcade systems take a look at Retro Uprising, all games are playable in your browser and there are thousands of them :

http://www.retrouprising.com/

9. Received thanks from:

opel80uk (06-03-2014)

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    There are 2 emulators that are worth getting, you will not have any speed issues at all, they work like a dream :

WinVice (Covers C64, C128, C16/+4, Pet, Vic & G64 (Cart system))

http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/

CCS64

http://www.ccs64.com/

Personally I would go with Vice as it is a bit more user friendly and runs 99% of all games. When not using my proper C64 Vice is the emulator of choice for me. Really easy to setup screen size, PC joystick (I use a wireless 360 controller on it) etc

As for the games a lot of them the owners still hold the copyright on them so its a bit of a grey area.

Back in 99 or so I legally bought C64 Classix from HMV which has around 3000 games on it, trouble is finding it now (same goes for Speccy99), however if you do buy the original disc then you can just copy the folder from the CD onto your hard drive and run them with Vice, my copy of C64 Classix does have Vice on it, however understandably it is a really old version and doesn't work on newer versions of Windows and has loads of bug fixes etc.

Found one which is similar to mine on Play :

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/-/4083/...x/Product.html

There is also a 99 game collection with Competition Pro Joystick on AmigaKit, you can get an adapter which will allow you to use the old 9 pin sticks on the PC :

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=978

There is also C64 Forever which is a custom build of Vice I think it is with full menu and support, quicker to setup and use than Vice (Personally not keen on C64 & Amiga Forever, each to their own though) :

http://www.c64forever.com/

You need a bit more info give me a shout and I will help out where I can with being an 8 Bit nut and owning Spectrum, Commodore, Amstrad and the likes, it runs through my veins!!!

If you fancy having a tinker with some of the older cartridge based systems and arcade systems take a look at Retro Uprising, all games are playable in your browser and there are thousands of them :

http://www.retrouprising.com/
    Thanks for the reply Ferral, massively helpful.

I think that’s my weekend sorted anyway! Dunno why, but this week I just had the urge to play a few golden oldies. Still get a nostalgic feeling when I think back to getting a new game on the C64 (or my old Spectrum 48k before that), and having to wait for it to load up. Can still remember Ocean’s loading music!

I will have a look this evening, and if I have any trouble with the emulator, I might give you a PM if that’s ok? Quite ironic really, my wife has just text me to let me know that my R9 280x has finally been delivered this morning, and I’ll be playing 8-Bit games this weekend!

Any favourite C64 games? And maybe the ones that might not be so well known, I love a hidden gem

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Yeah, blast me a PM, I don't mind at all

You can't go wrong with a lot of the Ocean games like Platoon, Batman the Movie and also Caped Crusader which has 2 separate scenarios, Penguin on one side and Joker on the other, then there's stuff like Robocop 1 & 2 which are always great for a blast.

Thalamus stuff like Creatures 1 & 2, Winter & Summer Camp, Retrograde, Armalyte, Hunters Moon & Sanxion. There is also Hawkeye but in all honesty I found it average at best, rave reviews at the time but its just lacking, every level just run back and forth collecting stuff shooting enemies, visually it is very nice and sound is good, just lacking in the gameplay department.

System 3 with Myth, Tusker, Vendetta and of course the sublime Last Ninja Trilogy. Myth and the LN games I play regularly and they have aged really well.

Of course you need to be firing up Turrican 1 & 2, Rick Dangerous 1 & 2 & Bubble Bobble regardless!!!

Then you have some great games like Defender of the Crown & Rocket Ranger by Cinemaware

Not forgetting Maniac Mansion and Zak McKraken from Lucasarts, both amazing classic adventures, if you like the Money Island stuff these pre date them

Games I like that no one seemed to play even though they got good reviews are things like Foxx Fights Back, Crackdown & APB just off my head there, will think of a few more for later on.

Vice can also run cartridge dumps and disk images making for faster loading, however if you have tap or T64 files you can hit ALT & W during loading it will put Vice into Warp mode to load really quickly. It also has true drive emulation (Disk Drive) as some games like Retrograde won't load on Vice unless it is used.

Beauty of Vice is that it opens in a standard Window with File etc across the top so it is REALLY easy to configure

12. Received thanks from:

opel80uk (07-03-2014)

Thanks
    • cheesyboy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabye 970a-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 270 Cooled by fanless Xigmatek Thor's Hammer
      • Memory:
      • 1x4GB Ballistix Tactical 1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX560Ti
      • PSU:
      • 400w Be Quiet Pure Power L8
      • Case:
      • Bitfenix Shinobi Mid-Tower Black/Green
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1

Thread making me want to break out the C64 Ghostbusters again. And see if I can play Aliens without getting too scared for long enough to actually get anywhere.

On another note; if anyone has any old C64 games, it's worth checking if they are worth anything rather than chucking them out - I sold a cartridge copy of Satan for about £80 last year.

14. Received thanks from:

opel80uk (07-03-2014)

Thanks
    • opel80uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X4 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4gb PC2-8500
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 1tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX450W 450w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 10Mb

Yeah, blast me a PM, I don't mind at all

You can't go wrong with a lot of the Ocean games like Platoon, Batman the Movie and also Caped Crusader which has 2 separate scenarios, Penguin on one side and Joker on the other, then there's stuff like Robocop 1 & 2 which are always great for a blast.

Thalamus stuff like Creatures 1 & 2, Winter & Summer Camp, Retrograde, Armalyte, Hunters Moon & Sanxion. There is also Hawkeye but in all honesty I found it average at best, rave reviews at the time but its just lacking, every level just run back and forth collecting stuff shooting enemies, visually it is very nice and sound is good, just lacking in the gameplay department.

System 3 with Myth, Tusker, Vendetta and of course the sublime Last Ninja Trilogy. Myth and the LN games I play regularly and they have aged really well.

Of course you need to be firing up Turrican 1 & 2, Rick Dangerous 1 & 2 & Bubble Bobble regardless!!!

Then you have some great games like Defender of the Crown & Rocket Ranger by Cinemaware

Not forgetting Maniac Mansion and Zak McKraken from Lucasarts, both amazing classic adventures, if you like the Money Island stuff these pre date them

Games I like that no one seemed to play even though they got good reviews are things like Foxx Fights Back, Crackdown & APB just off my head there, will think of a few more for later on.

Vice can also run cartridge dumps and disk images making for faster loading, however if you have tap or T64 files you can hit ALT & W during loading it will put Vice into Warp mode to load really quickly. It also has true drive emulation (Disk Drive) as some games like Retrograde won't load on Vice unless it is used.

Beauty of Vice is that it opens in a standard Window with File etc across the top so it is REALLY easy to configure
    Ah, so many memories. Was the Caped Crusader an isometric view game? And also, there was another Batman game I had that was comic book like, with each screen overlaying on top of the previous one?

I love the Lucasarts games, although I played most of them a bit later on a PC. Day of the Tentacle is one I enjoyed quite a lot.

I don’t know Foxx Fights Back, Crackdown or APB I don’t think, but will have a look on youtube. I might have played them but forgotten.

Vice sounds perfect for me, as I wouldn’t be overly tech savvy.

Out of interest, do you remember a text based game called Hamstead? I don’t know why I remember it; I don’t think I particularly enjoyed it, but it’s always stuck in my mind!

Quote Originally Posted by cheesyboy View Post
    Thread making me want to break out the C64 Ghostbusters again. And see if I can play Aliens without getting too scared for long enough to actually get anywhere.
    Ah Ghostbusters was a cracker. Choosing what car to buy and rushing off to the ghost scene’s and then trying to trap the Ghost whilst avoiding crossing the streams. Such good times!

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

The isometric Batman game (Similar in the way to Head over Heels & Knighlore) was only available for Amstrad, Spectrum and the IBM PC's of the day.

Batman the Movie was based on the Michael Keaton movie starting in the Axis Chemical Factory, then Batmobile which was side scroller, then a bit where you had to match up the items to find the smile type formula, then onto the side scroll Batwing bit and final level a platformer again where you are in the cathedral going up over to finally stop Joker.

The comic book one was Batman the Caped Crusader and each screen opened out like a comic book and the previous screen greyed out in the background, this one was an arcade adventure with a different scenario on each side of the tape.

Crackdown is a top down shooter type thing with a Gauntlet feel to it, each level you have to place bombs on the X located on the map at top of screen. Loads of enemies, different weapons etc, extremely playable SEGA Arcade Conversion.

APB is a Tengen Arcade Conversion, top down view where you have to arrest various suspects on each of the day, some days there is a special criminal you have to capture. Reviews back in the day it scored in the 70's but personally I love it, such a fun game to pick up and play.

Foxx Fights back is a side scrolling shooter, this one was a new I.P from Image Works. Take control of a fox and the missus sends you out to collect food, once you collect 5 items go and drop them off and back out you go to collect more, you unlock extra weapons and shortcuts to get back quicker the further you venture out. Its fun and tongue in cheek, pokes fun at the whole fox hunting thing that was REALLY big in the 80's, you get Hells Beagles (Beagles riding hogs), squirrels throwing nut bombs etc

I vaguely remember Hamstead, I wasn't into the text adventures at all though, could never get away with them.

I do love stuff like Bards Tale Trilogy which I have on Disk and I do have the first game also on tape. I REALLY like Hillsfar which is an Arcade Adventure with Dungeons like Gauntlet, you used your Character from Pools of Radiance as it was a spin off from the series while they were working on the final part to the Pools Trilogy.

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Batman the Movie was based on the Michael Keaton movie starting in the Axis Chemical Factory, then Batmobile which was side scroller, then a bit where you had to match up the items to find the smile type formula, then onto the side scroll Batwing bit and final level a platformer again where you are in the cathedral going up over to finally stop Joker.
    I sunk so much time in to the Amiga version of this game as a child, wasn't easy. Could get to the driving bits but never had the timing to hook on to the lampposts to turn corners. Getting angry just thinking about it.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

anyone remember Ikari Warriors and Silkworm? man the time I spent completing those.....

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Silkworm is excellent especially playing co op, 1 person in the jeep across the bottom and the other in the helicopter. Single player you use just the copter. SWIV was also the unofficial sequel but this time a vertical scroller, once again it played much better with 2 player co op.

Ikari Warriors is an excellent conversion, I always found it overly long though. However 2 player co op was always good and got you further into the game, being overly long was better than the 4 levels of Commando though!!

Another great game is Arnie from Zeppelin Games, similar to Ikari Warriors, Commando, Rambo : First Blood Pt 2 & Who Dares Wins 2, run & gun game with extra weapons etc. Very good game which I personally feel is better than a few of the others in the same genre seeing it was a budget only release.

http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http...php%3FID%3D152

HSK
    Thanks
    • HSK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87-Pro Socket 1150 DVI HDMI DisplayPort 8-channel Audio ATX Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Memory CML16GX3M2A1600C9 16GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache X 2 + Samsung 256GB 840 Pro SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Point Of View 8800GTS 512mb PCIE DVI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair Professional AX860 Fully Modular 80 PLUS Platinum 860W PSU
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 600T Mesh Black Case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 69cm (27")
      • Internet:
      • Plus.net

sorry to hijack thread, any good amiga emulators?

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by HSK View Post
    sorry to hijack thread, any good amiga emulators?
    Anything based on UAE is fine, WinUAE on windows and I like FS-UAE on Linux

Thread Information