Thread: Jumpy, Jumpy!

Thanks

Jumpy, Jumpy!

Vaul's '5 Best Games' thread got me thinking about classic games and now inspired!

So here we go.

Platformers. There were tons of them, and as far as I'm concerned, the golden age has passed, with new platformers pailing in comparison to the classics of gaming. That is - they're a pile of stinking.......poopy. (Prove me wrong)

Still, I loved platformers and so, this is a chance to toss out what you think were the best and worst of the genre. Oh and do a little homework and provide some kind of pic with each post! Just for nostalgia's sake.

Some of the best for me:

Turrican 2
    - Absolute classic. I loved this game, and had I still my Amiga, I'd be playing it today. The music absolutely rocked - I wish someone would re-release it remixed. The weapons were indeed super cool - who couldn't resist using that orange extended beam thing? The whole game was just awesome. Ooh! And such fun jumping on the bots in the factory level.

Turrican 2 -

Flash Back
    - Someone try to deny that this game was amazing. Go on. I dare you. Challenging but darn addictive and the animation was superb for the time. Particularly fun was using your pistol. Watching enemies fly backwards and hit the ground was so gratifying, and then of course there was the black blobby things! Shield was a bit of a pain to use though.

GODS
    - Got to love the mythological setting. The graphics were gorgeous and this game once again proved that the Bitmap Bros ruled. Music, graphics, sheer coolness, this game had it all.

Rick Dangerous (and RD 2)
    - Okay, now we are getting retro! The level coming to mind is Schwarzendumpf Castle with the remixed version of whatever that classical piece. That and from the second game the Forests of Vegetablia. The game was just fun to play, even if a little hard from time to time with the ZipStick Pro -

Some of the worst:

Abe's Odessey
    - You know what? This game just annoyed me. I mean it really bugged me. Little Abe and his squealing, weakling friends. I probably got through one or two levels of this one before packing it in. It would've been nice to splice dear little Abe into the ending sequence for Flood (remember that one? - That was a game).

It might have actually been an okay game had I been able to get past the fact that I found the whole game boring and Abe a googly eyed annoyance.

Urgh

Donkey Kong Country
    - Why do I get the feeling it's time to get out the asbestos underwear?
    I know this game was super-popular and beloved by many. Cute little Diddy Kong and his oversized monkey-boy friend. Awwww. Cute and appealing...and it was. Appealing. For a while, with some very good levels. It was, until you realised that it was just the same thing over again...until you didn't ever want to see another banana in your life. For the few good levels, there were too many levels that were sooooo boring, with depressing music to boot. I almost did boot it, right out of the window. The cave levels in particular stand out as annoying, and the bosses, and the Donkey's annoying ape family.

Right, I'm depressing myself so I'm moving on.

That's it Diddy! Run away! Get yourself into a decent game - one that's far less annoying than a repetitive scroll fest with a bumbling, tie-wearing ape! Oh, and when you find one. Keep running lest I find you ruining it and splice you into a hunting game.

Rainbow Islands
    - One of the best platformers ever invented. One of the greatest Amiga games, ever. One of the...most hitable characters ever seen on screen. Really. Take a look at this and tell me you don't want to punch that face?

Jumpy, jumpy, rainbow, rainbow. Oh we're all so happy. The bright pretty colours, the amazingly friendly looking enemies who'll beat on you just as much as in any other game, the joyful music...aren't you happy? Aren't you happy when you climb for what seems like fie years before having one rainbow sequence go wrong and you fall all your way to the bottom? And look! He doesn't even die when he gets there! How nice is that?

Not very nice at all. It would be good if he died when he fell. Maybe let out a high pitched scream as he went. Maybe them this inexplicably addictive game would have some entertainment value instead of leaving you with a very bad taste in your mouth. Oh the wasted hours of my life where I could have been training to become a professional athlete or a place in a top notch academy. Instead I wasted the precious hours of my life guiding happy, bouncy, middle-parting, short short-wearing, 'hit me' boy up and over pretty rainbows.

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Large Member
    Thanks
    Gods... was... awesome. It really really was. I loved that game. Another that you may have overlooked was Elf. That was great and very varied.

To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks

Fury of the Furries, was fantastic as well, beautifully simple but challenging all the same. I especially liked the green furry with the ninjarope

Thanks
    Super Mario bros. 3 and Super Mario world were ace, as was Alex Kidd in miracle world.
    Happy days.

In a place called VERTIGO CrapshoT's Avatar
    Thanks
    Classsics m8 All of those amiga games.I remember swapping floopies every minute for Street fighter and Mortal Kombat.Zool was another.James Pond.I loved Xenon 2 and The Chaos Engine as well.I started to get scared when games like Populus came out>
    Farts are like children.....You always love you're Own.!!!
    Wise Men learn from Other people's mistake's...Fool's learn from their OWN.!!!

Thanks

Question zool

zool was classic! do you know of any emulaters where i can get zool or download it becas8ue i bought i windows 98 copy and it wouldnt run in my 98se machine . Did any of you guys play pushover, the game with the ants, now that was a classic.
    Cheiftech Matrix/xp 2600@ 2.3ghz/ Abit NF7 v2/1gb GEIL value dual channel pc3200@ 2.5-3-3-6/XFX 6600gt/80gb Western Digital boot disk/80gb maxtor for storage and games/LG cdrw/Nec 3500A

Large Member
    Thanks
    Oh yes Pushover, colin curly of quavers fame and G.I.Ant. Cool spot too.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Pah!

"Another visitor. Stay a while. Stay FOREVER!"

Yes, I'm talking about THE classic commodore 64 game, impossible mission.

Jumping was for wimps; somersaulting was the stuff of hero's!

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Pah Jiff - Jet pack was the only way

EXILE for the BBC

That game was the best ever at the time

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

iMc
    Thanks
    The Dizzy Series

and

James Pond

Used to spend hours on those.
    HEXUS|iMc

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    What about Super Ghouls and Ghosts ? What about Dragons Lair (okay thats a bit lame but the graphics we're awesome at the time)

I STILL play Super G&G on my PC all the time when I need a quick platform session.

Thanks
    In addition to many of the games already listed, I also enjoyed New Zealand Story and Sonic. Classics!

Thread Information