Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Popular and perfectly good games you can't get into..

Goatzil

Re: Popular and perfectly good games you can't get into..

Metal Gear, I heard so many good things about it however I couldn't get into it. Shame really, it looks like a decent game

Thanks

Not just you, obviously. I just can't get into open was world games like Fallout 4 and GTA while more linear ones like Tomb Raider are perfectly fine with.

Registered+
    Thanks

All of the Assassin Creed games (except first).
    All of the Fifa games
    Morrowind
    The new final fantasy games (Everything since IX)
    Pretty much any platformer type game.
    Witcher 1

Thanks

Recently played Banner Saga 1 loved it, but for some unknown reason I just stopped after about a week, now I see 2 has just been released and would love to give it ago but again no idea why I have not done so

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Watevah View Post
    Not just you, obviously. I just can't get into open was world games like Fallout 4 and GTA while more linear ones like Tomb Raider are perfectly fine with.
    yeah sometimes they can feel just too big...I started to play Oblivion when it first came out and It just felt to huge!

Spreadie

Assassins Creed - at first glance it's wow, you can go almost anywhere; which quickly becomes sooooo boring.

Bioshock Infinite - tried to get into it twice and failed - cba.

Metal Gear anything - seriously cannot fathom what the fuss is all about - the whole series has left me cold, and I cba to try the latest one.

GTA IV - broken to begin with and soul-crushingly boring afterwards.

Skyrim - I put about 30 hours into it before I decided that grinding is the worst game mechanic in history. It's only there as a brake to stop you blitzing the main story in a few hours (on just about any game).

The Witcher series (specifically the second one) - seriously, wandering around the bloody forest collecting flowers?! Is this an RPG or a hippy simulator?

Far Cry 3 - collect three poppies, a pigeon feather and a pig hide, rub em together and make a satchel! Woo! Quite possibly the worst example of grinding yet.

Medal of Call of Battlefield 14 (or whatever) - sooo tired of these. A four hour SP campaign and a map pack. Rinse and repeat.

I find myself more and more drawn to indie titles, which have to impress you to stand out, rather than trade on the merits of past glories.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Spreadie View Post
    Assassins Creed - at first glance it's wow, you can go almost anywhere; which quickly becomes sooooo boring.
    I loved the first one (though it did get a bit repetitive), and indeed the second one. AC2.5 and 2.75 (I forget the names) did start to drag, but the era was interesting enough to balance it out.

III bored me to tears, and I only made it through Black Flag by the skin of my teeth and sheer determination. As for the next ones... pffff.

Bioshock Infinite - tried to get into it twice and failed - cba.
    Quite enjoyed that after a while, actually. I couldn't enjoy Bioshock 1/2, but the setting and idea behind Infinite was clever IMO.

Metal Gear anything - seriously cannot fathom what the fuss is all about - the whole series has left me cold, and I cba to try the latest one.
    Same here.

GTA IV - broken to begin with and soul-crushingly boring afterwards.
    It was... OK. A great game by its own account, I guess, but it was a weird transition for GTA. IMO the DLC was way more fun.

Skyrim - I put about 30 hours into it before I decided that grinding is the worst game mechanic in history. It's only there as a brake to stop you blitzing the main story in a few hours (on just about any game).
    I can see what you mean. Having just completed (almost) everything with the Requiem mod installed, I enjoy it a lot more. Requiem takes away some of the grinding feeling by making all of the levelling static. At the beginning, a wolf might kill you. Later on, you can destroy it with the flick of a knife. But if you think about walking into a cave straight away, you're screwed. And playing in that more realistic, RPG-esque style really works for me. I don't grind, I just accept that I'm not capable of defeating a vampire yet, and go do some easier things. It feels more plausible.

The Witcher series (specifically the second one) - seriously, wandering around the bloody forest collecting flowers?! Is this an RPG or a hippy simulator?
    I enjoyed the first one after a couple of false starts, but yeah couldn't get through the second. I'm intrigued by the third but incredibly wary.

Far Cry 3 - collect three poppies, a pigeon feather and a pig hide, rub em together and make a satchel! Woo! Quite possibly the worst example of grinding yet.
    I don't really understand this... I mean yes, that is an aspect of the game, but it's a pretty small one. The game as a whole is really about stealthily attacking bases IMO - whether you can fit 15 or 20 grenades in your satchel isn't really the key to the game.

Medal of Call of Battlefield 14 (or whatever) - sooo tired of these. A four hour SP campaign and a map pack. Rinse and repeat.
    Since CoD2/4 and BF2, I agree.

I find myself more and more drawn to indie titles, which have to impress you to stand out, rather than trade on the merits of past glories.
    Wish I'd had the same experience. The vast majority that I've tried have left me completely underwhelmed.

In addition to those I mentioned above, Dishonored really didn't do much for me. I suppose it's a Thief-esque game - and that's not really what I enjoy. The combat is pretty unfulfilling, so when I fail the stealth (and I do), it feels like I've wasted my time and effort.

Not sure what else off the top of my head, but there will definitely be more I just haven't remembered yet!

Spreadie

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    Wish I'd had the same experience. The vast majority that I've tried have left me completely underwhelmed.
    Sure, there's a lot of dross out there, but the "good" ones tend to be good because of fundamental gameplay rather than gimmicks and pretty graphics.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    In addition to those I mentioned above, Dishonored really didn't do much for me. I suppose it's a Thief-esque game - and that's not really what I enjoy. The combat is pretty unfulfilling, so when I fail the stealth (and I do), it feels like I've wasted my time and effort.
    Dishonored is probably the stand-out AAA title over the last five years, for me. I thought it was excellent. Concentrating on different powers really changes how you approach the game, which gives it a lot of replay value.

Registered+
    Thanks

The Division, for some reason I just can't seem to play it for very long without getting bored. It seemed to have just trailed away from me since I hit like level 20.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

GTA 1-3: Couldn't get into the top-down gameplay of the first two, and failed a mission in 3 because I couldn't get the hang of the aiming system, so ditched it in a strop. All the other PS2 ones were brilliant, missed out on 4 and trying to determine if I would have the time to dedicate to 5.

Registered+
    Thanks

Dead Islands are definitely games I couldn't get into.

Thanks
    • roorooroo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ga-z170-Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • Skylake i7 6700k
      • Memory:
      • 16gb corsair vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 4 TB (3xHD), 3xSSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 980ti
      • PSU:
      • tX 850w Corsair
      • Case:
      • cooler master haf92
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" Panasonic
      • Internet:
      • "up to" 152mb

Halo..never appealed to me in the slightest.

Registered+
    Thanks

Halo always struck me as odd, there would be such a serious apocalyptic storyline but all of the weapons looked like super soakers! And some of enemies looked and sounded like Umpa Lumpa’s. Master Chief seemed a bit soft going up against Umpa Lumpa’s in a full encompassing cyber suit of armour too; like using a sledge hammer to squash a few bugs.

Thanks

Any Final Fantasy game... never managed it and have tried 4-5 times.

Civ games... again, I've read reviews, watched some lets plays and each time I've thought "I want to play that!!" but 4-5 turns into the game I give up.

Tropico. I've actually bought 3 different versions of this game now and each time I fail in the same way, I like the idea, but I don't even make it out of the tutorial section.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information