Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remake Please...

Thanks

Talking Remake Please...

My brother recently managed to get an Amiga emulator running and he then called me at work and said "Listen to this!" Next thing I know I'm getting sucked back 10 years to the early 90's as the sonorous wonder that is the Turrican 2 theme poured out from the phone receiver and into my ear. Well that was it. Nostalgia trip! I remember ordering the game from one of those magazine based mail-order services. I remember one Christmas looking downt he list trying to choose which game to order and selecting the Turrican sequel. Then, that 25th, unwrapping the eight inch box which had had me in eager expectation for weeks. There it was in all its glory, smelling new and with the armoured Turrican in some inexplicable but very cool pose on the front.

I remember the blue discs and booting it up for the first time. Seeing the Turrican logo glitter down as I was mystified by the most wonderful gaming theme I'd ever heard sounding through the air. Rather than my usual practise of just skipping through everything to get to the game I remember just sitting there listening and watching the intro story sequence. The game had me transfixed and I hadn't even played it yet.

Eventually I hit the yellow fire button on my Competition Pro and felt the expectation rise as the screen filled with metallic grey panels and the music changed, building my anticipation. Soon enough, though it felt like minutes and minutes the screen cleared and here is was face to face with a futuristic warrior in an amazing fantasy world taking on some of the coolest bad guys I'd ever seen. I remember being blown away by the little touches - the array of weaponry, the ability to transform into a small spinning star, the invisible blocks to discover and of course, jumping on the heads of those mini ED-209 types - how satisfying it was to crush them down and send them running with that little robot squeak.

Perhaps the three best aspects to the game though were the weapons, the music/sound and the level design. The tunes themselves were amazing and worthy of someone remastering them and releasing an album. The sound was perfect, with Turrican's voice calling out "Bounce", "Laser", "Shield", "Power Up", "Laser", "Multiple", as well as the weapons sounds, the enemies. I mentioned the little 'walkers' but then there were the robotic snakes from the first levels, who would make a kind of screech as they rose from the ground.

Of the guns bounce might have been my least favourite. I loved the laser, but even more than that, I loved the really cool extending beam which could be rotated at will creating an arc of destruction. What made everything even better was the simple but satisfying power-up system which meant you could focus on collecting the power-ups necessary to give you a really potent and impressive looking attack. Then of course there were the special attacks. I could go on and on.

As for the levels, from watefalls and cliffs to factories and ships, underwater ruins to really creepy alien hives reminiscent of 'Aliens'. How about always keeping an eye open for the secrets hidden around the levels? The invisible blocks or hidden passages. Just finding those stashed power-ups and bonuses could turn the level upside down.

Turrican 2 has to be one of my all-time favourite games, and what I want to know is when is someone going to do an all-out, lots of effort, shiny new remake, perhaps in first-person? Having said that, I do miss good platformers.

I could start to talk now about how so many recent games rely more on technology and less on creativity but I don't want to spoil the warm-fuzzies!

Anyone else join me on this one, or perhaps other classic favs?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Banned
    Thanks
    Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy on the Spectrum 48k.

Just don't get me started.

Thanks
    Ooh, wait I just remembered.....can I think of its name?......nope....it was a game on the BBC, with a space-suited guy who'd wander around with a jet pack.....darn....it's all so vague.

Oh well, there's always Qbert on the Atari 2600! Spent many hours one long morning going hardcore to complete the game. Pushed right through all 99 levels and then....expecting glory......it goes back to level one! I couldn't believe it. I played through the next few levels just to make sure it wasn't an intermission or something. No 'Congratulations', no "Enter name here'.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Q-Bert I used to love that game when I got my Atari 2600 when I was about 4 years old.

I wish games today were as playable as all the old classics. you can have all the FSAA and vertex shading and pixel shading you want but at the end of the day its down to playability not the look of the overall graphics ( doom 3 anyone? )

Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Vaul
    Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy on the Spectrum 48k.

Just don't get me started.
    Definately two of the best!

(Elite was also one of the best!!!)

Thanks
    I loved monkey island 1 and 2, gotta say they were absolute classics and the music was great.
    Cheiftech Matrix/xp 2600@ 2.3ghz/ Abit NF7 v2/1gb GEIL value dual channel pc3200@ 2.5-3-3-6/XFX 6600gt/80gb Western Digital boot disk/80gb maxtor for storage and games/LG cdrw/Nec 3500A

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    Ooooh..... Turrican!

Also on the Amiga - Supercars 2 - how good was that 2 player? Roadkill was excellent fun too (late AGA / CD32 only game)...

Fantasy Zone 2 on the Sega Master System. A new game in the Wonderboy series too (Wonderboy in Monster Land, Wonderboy 3 The Dragons Trap - also both SMS games).

(and BTW Galant - this is the first time I totally 100% agree with one of your posts! )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Galant
    Ooh, wait I just remembered.....can I think of its name?......nope....it was a game on the BBC, with a space-suited guy who'd wander around with a jet pack.....darn....it's all so vague
    It wouldn't be Jetpac would it? Either that or Codename Droid or Exile? I had various versions of the BBC in my pre-teen years and cut my gaming teeth on Stryker's Run, Elite, Repton 3 and the like

Exile PC version here: http://www.symo.clara.net/exile/
    Other remakes aren't that hard to find. Thirty seconds on google found that one for example
    Last edited by Zathras; 27-01-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    Best idea for exile IMO is to download the Amiga version (there's also an AGA version too if you want prettier GFX)... Still low res but probably better than the remake

(Edit: Exile was a class game though)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras
    ...Codename Droid
    !!!!

BINGO!

And Zathras wins.........nowt, other than knowing he just brought back many memories!

Cheers.

Getting back to the remake issue though, would it be a totally stupid idea for someone to have a go at creating a decent FPS version of Turrican, or just a jazzed up platform version?

And while they're at, Xenon 2 Megablast might also be a good contender for a suped-up remake.

Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    would it be a totally stupid idea for someone to have a go at creating a decent FPS version of Turrican, or just a jazzed up platform version?
    There were plans for a 3D version a long time ago:

http://pc.ign.com/objects/719/719038.html

And there's also a similar project that may have been cancelled or may yet still be in progress - "thornado":

http://www.factor5.com/projects.shtml

Click on the only thing that isn't star wars ... Don't get too excited though - it's just music in the style of Turrican)

FWIW and IIRC it's going to be called Thornado (if it ever gets released) because there was a dispute as to who owned the Turrican name.

I also suggest you check out the Metroid Games - Super Metroid on the SNES, Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission on the GBA and Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (Metroid Prime Echoes) on the Gamecube if Turrican floats your boat. Whilst they don't have the same feel to them (they are slower paced and more puzzle oriented) they are certainly the games that Turrican drew it's inspiration from. (The Metroid games started out on the 8-bit NES but I don't think you'd enjoy those games as much as the more modern versions).

Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    And while they're at, Xenon 2 Megablast might also be a good contender for a suped-up remake.
    Oh and as for Xenon (1 and 2) - I was never much of a fan of those games... Speedball 2 and Gods (also Bitmap Brothers games) however were both excellent.

Spirit of Vengeance
    Thanks
    GODS was brilliant, bloody hard though!

Thanks
    Yes indeed! GODS was superb. Ah for some of that old time creativity and atmosphere.

listen to escape fails :) luap.h's Avatar
    Thanks
    you'll be needing this Turrican Remake
    and of course this
    Competition Pro USB

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory: