3. Call of Duty
    4. Starcraft 2
    5. GTA V

2. Received thanks from:

Millennium (07-01-2018)

Thanks

Re: What are your top 5 games list?

Why those ones James?

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Couldn't put these in order.

• Doom I & II + Clones (Hexen, Heritic, Duke Nukem 3D)
    • Deus Ex
    • Super Mario (up to Super Mario World)
    • Grim Fandango
    • Command & Conquer (up to 3 + Red Alert 1 & 2 + Generals)

Thanks

Not played Grim Fandango yet, but recently grabbed it. Love point-and-click adventures, so hoping for a good one!

It's always hard for me not to list The Secret of Monkey Island on any list of greatest/favourite games, at least from a personal angle.

It's interesting how the passage of time influences perspective on these things.

I might go, in no order:

1. Secret of Monkey Island. Just an incredible and unforgettable experience. Point-and-click adventures were hardly innovative in terms of game-play. It was all about the writing. puzzles and often, humour. For that reason one might not bother to include any of the genre on a top 5 list. However, in terms of just a gaming experience, Monkey Island was special. The world, the characters, the jokes, the MUSIC, will remain indelibly written across my memory and my heart - and the hearts of many. That sort of experience is the reason many of us play games. So Monkey Island makes the list.
    2. Street Fighter 2/Turbo SE - The grand-daddy or all fighting games and the birth of a massive franchise. There are other versions or franchises one might prefer, but they all owe their existence to this one.
    3. Tomb Raider/Tomb Raider 2013 - Another great franchise. Lara Croft might have stolen the concept from Indiana Jones but as far as converting the adventurer/archaeologist idea into games, Lara in queen. I jumped on the franchise from the first instalment and loved it, but it's now dated and after many sequels of not great repute the recent 2013 reboot was excellent. I might even rate it above the original...maybe. Either way, two great beginnings for Lara and two great games.
    4. PC wasn't specified, so I'm going Halo here. Best of the first person shooters in terms of storyline AND game play. It was an incredible solo outing, made only more fun by the great multiplayer action. No 1st person shooter is superior, before or after.
    5. And last of all, if nothing else above is controversial, this one might be. Last option, I'm not even 100% sure about it, but I'm going with Assassin's Creed IV - Black Flag. This is the most recent of all the games here and based on the AC series many wouldn't even rate it the best (II is commonly seen as the best, and I haven't played Origins yet). Before I played it the AC series wouldn't have made this list. However, here's the reason Black Flag takes my last spot. I had an absolute blast playing it. It's the best open world game I've ever played. It ticks all the boxes and then adds sprinkles on top. The appeal of Assassin's Creed was the run anywhere, climb, explore, and do it in an historical-fantasy setting. The story-telling was good, a nice blend of history and fantasy, and the action wasn't always great but had the potential to be. Black Flag took that but opened it up. You got the chance to engage in action, stealth, exploration, a story line, a little bit of crafting/grinding, and in an immersive world. Admittedly, anything age-of-sail appeal to me, like the classic 'Pirates!', but in terms of game-play things were limited. Black Flag gave you freedom, but also quality. Even after most, or all, the game was done, just roaming around the ocean with those shanties playing and those graphics - was a really enjoyable experience. If you want a game that's both immersive but accessible, I think Black Flag is the best. There are RPG's that are more immersive, but for me, go too deep. There are games with best action, but lose something in the story telling or immersion. Sure, Black Flag isn't perfect, but it's the best combination of the best ingredients that I've ever played.

I will say one other thing though, one could argue that in place of Black Flag, one should put The Prince of Persia. AC came from the same creators, essentially, and fans of PoP can see the similarities. The added fantasy in PoP creates a more spectacular setting that in the AC games, and the Prince is the first true wall-runner. PoP is the grand daddy behind AC. I also enjoyed the immersion in PoP 3D and to a lesser extent Sands of Time. However, side by side, I'd have to say Black Flag is just superior in most areas. They're different, sure, and the action in PoP might be better. But the openess, scale, and variety in Black Flag I think is worthy of the place over any of the individual Prince of Persia entries.
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Of all time:

Command & Conquer: Red Alert (1996 - PC)
    Freespace 2 (1999 - PC)
    Battlefield 2 (2006 - PC)
    Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance (2007 - PC)
    Elite: Dangerous (2014 - PC)

Special mention for Player Unknown's Battlegrounds which I currently love playing as well

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Thief (Dark Project and Metal Age)
    Baldurs Gate (with a strong nod to Dragon Age)
    Freelancer
    Mass Effect trilogy
    Elite: Dangerous

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Oooh, a top 5? Tricky, let me think...

5) Puzzle Quest

What? A "match 3" in my top 5 games? Yep. I keep coming back to Puzzle Quest - and the new online version Gems of War from the same developer - for one simply reason. It's a proper casual game that still has a storyline, rpg characterisation, and replay value. The original had depth, interesting mini-games, and all sorts of stuff to keep you coming back. It might not be a game that you'd lose a weekend to, but it's one I still pick up from time to time, years on from my first play through.

4) Elite (BBC & ports)

I've yet to be convinced that E:D is a true spiritual successor to the original Elite, and I've not been enticed into buying it, but the original Elite, in various guises, has been following me around for decades. Most recently played it a couple of years ago, on an Android handheld console, running an emulated version of the original NES port ... and that might just be my favourite version. The mind-bending roll/pitch control system giving free movement in space using only 2 axes remains my favourite way of handling free 3D movement (I even implemented it myself for one of my MSc projects). It has its downsides, but it was SO different to every other game you could play on the BBC (2D platformers/text adventures) it lodged in my childhood/teenage brain and will never come out

3.5) The Catacomb Abyss Yes, I'm totally cheating by naming a 6th game in my list. So sue me! I said 5 was going to be tricky.

When my parents bought a 286 PC I was in my mid-teens, and the first thing I did once it was set up was to go out and buy some PC magazines. Abyss was on the first shareware disk I ever held, and I played it at every opportunity. In many ways Abyss defined the expectations of both FPS and fantasy adventures for much of the next couple of decades, introducing a lot of the UI elements that became mainstays of FPS/CRPGs. I still play it occasionally, firing up DOSBOX for a nostalgia and magic-missile filled romp

3) X(-)COM (series)

I've not played the original X-COM games much, but without them XCOM: Enemy Unknown would likely be a very different game, if it existed at all. Julian Gollop's alien creations are a wonderfully realised mix of horror and sci-fi, and I've battled them turn-based on DOS, in real time with the UFO: series (Aftermath, Aftershock and Afterlight), turn-based again in the 2012 reboot, and even in pen-and-paper roleplaying (circa 2010). An original concept that teases and taunts the imagination, with a variety of both licensed and influenced titles that are general fun to play: although the game I'm most likely to go back to is the 2012 XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

2) Torchlight I & II (with more than half a nod to Diablo II)

If Blizzard had put serious efforts into a Diablo II sequel, I guess Torchlight might never have happened. I'm glad they didn't. While Diablo III finally arrived in 2012 (and for my money is closer to a Gauntlet sequel than a Diablo one), Torchlight stands out at the true successor to D2, right down to accidentally moving when you're trying to attack an enemy With Warcraft III's slightly cartoony graphics and Diablo II's click-and-bash gameplay, Torchlight was the game I wished I was playing while I was messing around with the bonus mini-campaign from Frozen Throne. I don't fire it up all that often nowadays, but I know it's there when I want it

1) Neverwinter Nights
    Seriously, if you hadn't predicted this you've never read a comment I've made in a gaming thread

Note that there's no sap to NWN2 here - not that it's a bad game, but it's different enough, and nowhere [i9]near[/i] as good. The original NWN - afaict - still has a huge following, and for good reason - the control system is utterly intuitive, despite allowing incredibly complex interactions, and - important for us laptop-in-bed gamers - can be controlled entirely by mouse alone. The quality of the three full campaigns is excellent, and the release of a 3-pack premium expansion not only increased the depth, but also the breadth, of the gameplay available. And then the piece de resistance - the toolkit. By providing ever game owner the opportunity to also be a gamer maker, NWN spawned a phenomenal modding community that - AFAIK - is still going strong. Many of my most enjoyable campaigns in NWN have been through fan-created modules, donated to the community. Add to that the depth of one of the most faithful D&D rulesets to ever grace a CRPG, and you get a roleplayer's dream game. I honestly can't see anyone ever producing a game that could knock NWN off my no. 1 game spot ... but I really hope they do, because that game would have to be phenomenal.

Thanks
    • hb904460's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A88XM-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • AMD A6-5400K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 @ 1866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 240gb Crucial mx500 + 500gb WD Caviar Blue
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoEco 620W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone PS07
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VA2037m

Pacman - Atari 2600
    Halo - xbox
    Streets of Rage 2 - megadrive
    No one lives forever - PC
    Goldeneye - N64

All great games that were the most played during that life stage. 3 of them were even better as a 2 player co-op game.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Normanyakuza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Q77AX Embedded ATX Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Pentium dual-Core E5200 @2.50ghz 2.49ghz
      • Memory:
      • Unkhown
      • Storage:
      • 1GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • G33/G31 express chipset family
      • PSU:
      • Unkhown
      • Case:
      • Acer Aspire
      • Operating System:
      • Window 7 Home premium 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer x193HQ
      • Internet:
      • Wireless

Haven't tried all the new games tho because my PC suck but my top 5 games that I still play is

1.Killing floor
    2.Warcraft 3 TF/F Custom maps
    3.Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
    4.Age Of Mythology and the Titans
    5.NFS Most Wanted
    [Honorable list]
    Counter strike 1.6
    Holla!

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

Interesting to see some older games taking the cake here!

I'll have a go:
    in no particular order...
    Unreal Tournament 2004
    Quake 1 (Quakeworld / GLQuake)
    Frontier - Elite 2 (90s game) and probably lump in First Encounters with that (really quite a similar game)
    Counterstrike(s)
    Eve Online (at least in the days before supercaps)

edit: Honourable mentions to Lemmings, Worms, Syndicate (on Amiga), and Battlefield 2-4. Company of heroes, C&C, Dune 2, Arkanoid, Cannon Fodder, Sensi Soccer, Super Bomberman, Quake 3, Doom 2, Half Life, Neverwinter Nights, Torchlight, Diablo 2, Civilization (only tried a couple of the early ones), UFO Enemy Unknown / XCOM Terror from the Deep, Worms (again only tried earlier ones), Team Fortress 2, the very old school hexagonal war game sims on Amiga (I forget the name), F117A Stealth Fighter (Amiga). Fortnite BR was actually quite good too recently.
    Last edited by Millennium; 07-01-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

1. Sonic 2
    2. Super Mario World
    3. Theme Hospital
    4. Command & Conquer: Red Alert / Retaliation
    5. Grand Theft Auto 3

Thanks

Very very difficult to choose. In no particular order:

Knights of the Old Republic (and Sith Lords) - possibly the best storytelling in any game I ever experienced. It's a cinematic experience and the best Star Wars story imo. Original trilogy and these two games are the only Star Wars you'll ever need.

Halo franchise (Bungie) - perfected FPS on console imo and had a great space-epic story to begin with. Was just an immensely enjoyable game to play solo or multiplayer with unprecedented map editor tools and community engagement on consoles far ahead of its time.

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance - the best epic scale strategy game ever. The story is pants but the gameplay is still second to none after all these years.

Pokemon DPPt - easy to pick up but extraordinarily deep and satisfying if you want to go down the rabbit hole with excellent mechanics introduced in this generation. Like poker mixed with chess; a perfect competitive turn-based strategy.

Advance Wars 2 - slightly left field but this is a handheld masterpiece imo. Very simple to pick up but extremely deep and balanced strategy coupled with a great story, great art, great music, great single player and multiplayer and a map editor all on a gameboy cartridge.

I have omitted many many great games but despite not being perfect I feel the above have reached a pinnacle in some aspect that I haven't experienced and feel probably can't ever be bettered.

Thanks
    • Macman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Z170 Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i9 9900K
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Storage:
      • 5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce RTX2080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650VS
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus Predator

Not in any particular order.

1. Command and Conquer
    2. Sensible World of Soccer
    3. Doom (not current Doom)
    4. Playerunknown Battleground
    5. NHL for Sega era

bios curious
    Thanks
    • Mr_Jon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock AB350 Pro4
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 48GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO NVME
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6750XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define XL R2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung C32JG50 WQHD @ 144hz

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Oooh, a top 5? Tricky, let me think...
    3) X(-)COM (series)

I've not played the original X-COM games much, but without them XCOM: Enemy Unknown would likely be a very different game, if it existed at all. Julian Gollop's alien creations are a wonderfully realised mix of horror and sci-fi, and I've battled them turn-based on DOS, in real time with the UFO: series (Aftermath, Aftershock and Afterlight), turn-based again in the 2012 reboot, and even in pen-and-paper roleplaying (circa 2010). An original concept that teases and taunts the imagination, with a variety of both licensed and influenced titles that are general fun to play: although the game I'm most likely to go back to is the 2012 XCOM: Enemy Unknown.
    There's a game on steam called Templar Battleforce which is played in the same spirit, if not the glorious detail, as the original X-COM's. Only seven quid.

16. Received thanks from:

scaryjim (18-01-2018)

Thanks

1. Half life
    2. C and C Tiberan sun but any from red alert onwards
    3. Deaus EX 1 (follows up have been decent as well)
    4.Mass Effect seris
    5. Shadows of Mordor
    6. Skyrim

Permanently confused

Thanks

Many of games I like and play here I will mention only 5 game name what I like:
    Devil May Cry.
    Call of Duty.
    Resident Evil.
    Assassin's Creed.
    Silent Hill.
    Folks! how many of you play Devil May Cry game?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information