• Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB270HU 1440 IPS GSync
      • Internet:
      • BT 0.7Mbps 'In The Sticks' version

Re: GAMING, the future.

Quote Originally Posted by johnroe View Post
    With 'auteur', it's just a commonly understood descriptive noun.
    So why does everyone have to Google it when you use it?

It's obvious which films were made by auteurs because they are the best films ever made.
    Name five...

Devs do interact on the forums listening to players, explaining things. I think they also learn what players want by watching which mods they create.
    Then why are they churning out such utter cack so often, and charging an absolute fortune for it? Why are their business models built around convincing you to buy expensive, pointless tat and "extra" content that should have been included to begin with?
    Why are most Dev threads filled with ranty players whining about how cack the game is, instead of constructive player recommendations?

I enjoy good graphics and the detail in some games.
    It's a game. It has to be fun to play, above everything else. Anything further is just pretty padding.
    Case in point - Watchdogs. Very pretty city scenery, very clunky character animation propped up by naff story and dull characters.

Interesting what you say about more open to 'suspension of disbelief', one of the modes almost created by the cinema.
    I think books and stage plays just might have a better claim to that...

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Which is completely subjective, so the term ‘auteur’ is completely arbitrary! (And some very talented directors have also made poor films.)
    COUGH ridley scott COUGH.....

Thanks

In my opinion, in the future most of the games that we will play is virtual reality. I am looking forward for a virtual reality MMORPG in the future. I think there will be a lot of things that will change. Actually today mobile games are rising because they are really portable and convenient to play. However, I still enjoy playing in PC.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
      • CPU:
      • i5 7600
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 850 Evo M.2 256GB (OS); 2 x Seagate 5+4 TB 2.5" HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel Onboard HD 630
      • PSU:
      • Pico PSU 160W
      • Case:
      • Streacom FC8 Alpha OD
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung UE50JU6800 4k TV
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80/20

He's dropped in Zizek and Eco, I'm quite surprised he hasn't referenced The Last of Us or Alejandro Jodorowsky by now

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • i7 5960X o/c to 4.summat
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR4 somethingorother
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Phankecks Enthoo Luxe perspex window
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by wazzickle View Post
    He's dropped in Zizek and Eco
    Who?

Are they film directors? From reading the thread, I thought the first one was a YouTuber...
    Can't be that good, as I've never heard of them...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hannahaha View Post
    In my opinion, in the future most of the games that we will play is virtual reality. I am looking forward for a virtual reality MMORPG in the future. I think there will be a lot of things that will change. Actually today mobile games are rising because they are really portable and convenient to play. However, I still enjoy playing in PC.
    Some of the developments are exciting including this The Void project, and the hololens. I could see abandoned buildings being turned anything you choose, an augmented reality. Even your house could be used as part of a game.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Who?

Are they film directors? From reading the thread, I thought the first one was a YouTuber...
    Can't be that good, as I've never heard of them...
    Before I found that Zizek clip about gaming(YT curios). I didn't know that any philosophers or psychologists had seriously engaged with gaming. That's exactly why He and Eco are accessible, they have vast knowledge and are willing to apply it to modern culture(well Eco was). Most people making films or games have studied post modernist theory and that's obvious in the work they produce. I reference Eco because of his book, Travels in Hyper Reality, which the idea of fiction and reality overlapping called to mind. I think for gaming or Virtual Realities to be taken seriously as a cultural form it needs validation.

Vladislav Surkov, who put Putin in power, used post modernist theory to undermine Putin's political opponents, mixing fact and mostly fiction into the propaganda(fake news).

The auteur doesn't need to come from the film world, but it would be interesting to see what Tarantino would do with a heist game, or what Del Toro would do with a fantasy adventure(I'm not sure what type of game he's working on).

I know they use an in game AI. I wonder how that can be developed to make the game more interactive, responsive and challenging.

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 3770
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Mushkin
      • Storage:
      • 2x240Gb HyperX Savage / 2x525Gb Crucial MX300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • Antec ISK-600M
      • Operating System:
      • W7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

Perhaps the future will be complete immersion, so much so we don't realise we're gaming until we finish.

Hang on a minute....
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

Thanks

Another point about the fake news around gaming. How many in the military learnt their drone flying skills, robot control and combat skills while gaming, far more than any potential shooters. It's well known that military advised on game design for that reason.

Did you see that the US military can now generate virtual reality cities and areas of any country, using all available data and AI. They have a virtual N.Korea to practice in.

'Artificial intelligence renders the digital worlds based on the available data, analyzes soldier performance to make the trainings more effective, and introduces variability into the simulations to keep soldiers on their toes'.

https://futurism.com/army-virtual-re...g-enviornment/

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

I still think that, at the end of the day, basic violence and nudity will still sell better than anything any auteur can pull out of their backside... including their own head, which seems to be typical for a good few such individuals - Kanye aside, the likes of Quentin and Ridley have heen heading up that dark path for quite some time...!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    I still think that, at the end of the day, basic violence and nudity will still sell better than anything any auteur can pull out of their backside... including their own head, which seems to be typical for a good few such individuals - Kanye aside, the likes of Quentin and Ridley have heen heading up that dark path for quite some time...!!
    I think one problem with much modern culture is it's aimed at an adolescent audience; including tv, films and gaming. And that's understandable, they have the most disposable income. Also with gaming that was the target age range at one time, but expanding that is the challenge. I think you're getting sidelined by the auteur idea, it's just that committees often compromise to the lowest level of ideas. The reason auteurs have something to offer is that's their skill. Engaging us in a story of several characters we've only just become acquainted with. Both games and films require an orchestration of all their various parts to make them work; music, cinematography, script, acting, etc.

I prefer Watchdogs, but WD2 did have some interesting features. The graphics and detail are spectacular. I liked the idea that you could use the drone(and drone camera view) not only for recon, but to take a directors eye view. It allowed you to direct the scene below you, without even getting involved directly.

It was that forum that a dev said, 'we've created an open world out there for you to explore and have fun in'. Some people don't grasp that, they take it all too seriously. What is exciting in WD2, take on the police and gangs at the same time, trying to out drive and out shoot all of them. It's always totally random and chaotic. But simple things I appreciate; how they make vehicles feel right, even though you're controlling them with a mouse and buttons. The helicopter, boat or coach feel like the real vehicles would move or corner,etc.

Thanks

I've just been looking into some of the possibilities AI can bring to gaming. Michael Cook(Falmouth uni) has created an AI capable of imagining new games from scratch. Scanning real people and using data and deep learning to create more realistic and emotional game characters. It's good to see British companies at the forefront of these new technologies. Here Ninja Theory Studios show how they create Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice.

Thanks

Okay to conclude this thread, the future of gaming is AI, the AI Auteur.

I started it because I'm getting bored with gaming and although there are many tech inventions which are changing the way we play, I felt something was lacking in the games themselves. A quick read of a few articles and a few YT clips later, (where the future of gaming is a hot topic). It's obvious that AI has developed in conjunction with gaming. AI has been designed and developed to beat humans at games from draughts to Dota2. Including; parallel processing, nuanced heuristics, deep neural networks until we have Alpha Go able to mimic human intuition and creativity, in a game that has subjective elements like Go.

In this article Andrew Wilson discusses the future of gaming. As I'm sure you're aware AI novelists have fooled literary panels. The CEO of EA says, what if you wanted to create a new Battlefield game, so you fed the AI system with every war story ever written and then fed it every acting performance that had ever appeared in a war film.

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/...r-mind-w487144

You could go as far as saying that games and gamers have been the testing ground for a form of AI(ie: a testing ground for how humans interact with AI) that will become an essential tool for humanity in real areas like economics, political decision making, and all areas of our lives.

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 3770
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Mushkin
      • Storage:
      • 2x240Gb HyperX Savage / 2x525Gb Crucial MX300
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • Antec ISK-600M
      • Operating System:
      • W7 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

Okay to conclude this thread
    You may start a thread but the interwebs (or admin) will decide when it ends
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

Registered+
    Thanks

Isn't it all in the eye of the beholder.

And more to the point, is the media of film going to last?

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X99-PRO
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte G1 GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

And that's understandable, they have the most disposable income.
    Not really. Games, and especially consoles in the UK, have always been aimed primarily at the 16-30 single male age bracket, because they tend to have the higher disposable incomes.

I think you're getting sidelined by the auteur idea, it's just that committees often compromise to the lowest level of ideas. The reason auteurs have something to offer is that's their skill. Engaging us in a story of several characters we've only just become acquainted with.
    They can help with the story and even the cinematics, but it MUST be supported by decent gameplay or the whole game is lost. Directors work to present a story through fed images. Those where the story is created through feedback from players engaged with their interactions and choices is a completely different approach - You'd be better off hiring some world class DMs from D&D.

The helicopter, boat or coach feel like the real vehicles would move or corner,etc.
    Having flown helicopters myself, I would disagree...

The CEO of EA says
    AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
    I think Kanye West's opinion on what makes a good game would be more pertinent!!

The CEO of EA says, what if you wanted to create a new Battlefield game, so you fed the AI system with every war story ever written and then fed it every acting performance that had ever appeared in a war film.
    You'd get a procedurally generated mish-mash of all existing war stories, but nothing especially new. Just a variety of combinations and mere variations on the same theme, limited by what's gone before... which is pretty much a large percentage of modern movies already. Trite, dull, boring, same-same...........

Thanks

Some of the developments are exciting including this The Void project, and the hololens. I could see abandoned buildings being turned anything you choose, an augmented reality. Even your house could be used as part of a game.

Wow this was a great achievement of our technology and another progress on gaming field. I would like to try it but I know it will be super mega duper expensive.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information