Thread: The Limitations of Great Graphics?

Thanks

The Limitations of Great Graphics?

Just read a couple fo threads about the fact that games companies are churning out the same old stuff...a subject near and dear to my heart...and a thought occurred to me.

The more advanced the graphics get, and the more complicated the engines, the more effort and money needs to be poured into them to get it right, and therefore, the less time and resources are spent on other aspects of the game. What's more, with so much focus on the appearance of the game and some shiny, new technology, could it be that some of the more inovative and creative ideas get left behind because they can't be done and fit in with the physical and technical requirements of the framework?

I'm no game developer so maybe I'm wrong, but I wonder whether today's games are developed in frameworks which, whilst good at what they do, ultimately limit creativity and other aspects which made games of the past os captivating and original?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    I much prefer gameplay over graphics tbh. Take a look at the old 80's/90's games. All of them now have pretty horrific graphics compared to today's standards, but they are still extremely playable (Frontier: Elite 2, Civilisation, etc).

This is why I can't understand some people's perception on World of Warcraft. I've seen many people slag it off for having crap graphics and of those about 75% said they wouldn't play it purely because of that. WoW for me is all about gameplay, graphics come in way behind. Saying that though, I think they are very reasonable for such an immense game.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    indeed, if you look a few threads ago about the oldies/N64 games we all love you'll see graphics is shunned for awesome play. ah, now those were the days