Thread: Duff gfx card?

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks

Duff gfx card?

right. Following on from the thread here: http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=39002&page=2
    I've run into a few technical hitches :groan:
    I've recently been having frame rate issues with UT2004, which for my set up should be no challenge really but apparently its become one. It was working fine over the past weekend (which howard will never let me forget ) then for no apparent reason in the last few days fps has dropped off the bottom of 'playable' and has become a bit of a joke.
    i've been messing with the settings in the display tab (right-click on desktop>display properties>advanced>perfomance and quality settings) in attempts to rectify the problem and no matter what I do I still end up with low 30's mid 20's fps!! wtf?
    meaning with AA/AF wacked right up it seems to make no dent in performance - I tried AA/AF settings all over the place. interestingly I even put them back to where they were as default and the fps went down further still...?! At the very high AA/AF settings fps seemed marginally higher but I could not believe this as it shouldn't be.
    I have thought that there could be some sort of bottle-necking effect occuring that if settings are too low it will underperform...and thus needs a bit of AA/AF etc. to set it right. [this could of course be all wrong]
    in UT2004 screen res is at 1152 x 864 but even going down to 1024x768 it still went slow, slower perhaps than at 1152! I left all the settings (not in-game ones) at defaulr and tweaked the in-game ones...no appreciable difference, appart from fps going down all the time.
    i'm waiting for "slide-show UT2004" when I hit 1fps or lower, lol

i'm wondering if its doing this since the recent updated patch for UT2004 came out. anyone else had this yet? i've not noticed it before I enstalled it but now game noticably hangs - I saw 22 fps pop up numerous times. I have no Idea whats going on all of a sudden, it just doesn't want to play right.
    i checked the AGP temp and its 39 resting, 49 under load - no real panic there.

...oh cr*p, I just ran 3dmark03 [i went to get something to eat as I pondered how to further continue in this posting] and its over 1500 marks LOWER than before...no settings changed at all. previous mark was around (just under) 7700, now its 5962. so scratch the idea about the UT patch doing anything funny

So... How on EARTH do I lose over 1500marks, by doing NOTHING to any settings? could the gfx card be faulty causing this periodical decline in performance? - if so is there a definite way to tell, a test I can run etc. [like memtest] that will show up any potential problems?

all of a sudden this hugely expensive thing has become a chain dragging me down - its sad how something like this can affect you but when you spend your hard earned cash (and quite a lot of it) on something thats meant to be top notch...you kind of expect it to be

and just so everyone knows specs are:
    AMD64 3000 (90nm winchester, non-o/c'ed)
    MSI K8N Neo2 (939, nForce Ultra)
    XFX 6600GT (non-o/c'ed)
    1 gig corsair ram
    2x HDDs (160g 'cuda and 40g Western digital)
    Last edited by shiato storm; 25-02-2005 at 04:07 AM.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    i might bang the drivers and re-install them...I'll let you know how that goes!
    edit: i have been using 66.93 drivers
    Last edited by shiato storm; 25-02-2005 at 04:13 AM.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    • ANZAC_ELITE's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Foxconn Black Ops
      • CPU:
      • E8600 @ 4.25GHz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Kingston HyperX PC3 13000 @1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • WD 320 + 500 SATA II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus 9800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Antec TruePower Trio 650W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Sonata
      • Operating System:
      • Vista x64 SP1 / Win7 x64 RC
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 21.5" LCD
      • Internet:
      • 1500/256
    What drivers are you using, I had 4-5 second black screen issues with the 71.80 when opening programmes.
    in the end I dropped right back to the last release at Nvidia (66.93 I think, not on my pc right now to check)

My sympathies on your plight, as you state, paying good money you expect things to work

Good luck

edit: lmao you edited your post to insert driver version while I was typing
    Last edited by ANZAC_ELITE; 25-02-2005 at 04:21 AM.

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by shiato storm
    all of a sudden this hugely expensive thing has become a chain dragging me down - its sad how something like this can affect you but when you spend your hard earned cash (and quite a lot of it) on something thats meant to be top notch...you kind of expect it to be
    Do not fret my child, the community that is the almighty Hexus shall; ease thy worries, slay the demon that riseth in the form of un-playable frame rates and finally restore peace and tranquility, such that master shiatostorm may continue the frag fest unabaited.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Thanks
    ...i hope so...i shall now retire to my bed, happy in the knowledge someone somewhere out there will have a plain easy to follow solution that involves a sledge hammer and an empty, poorly lit multi-story carpark..

edit: man, i just had another quite shimmy on UT and its down to - wait for it - 17fps.

yup you read correctly, 17 frames ... I was hitting 60 only a couple of days ago!
    Last edited by shiato storm; 25-02-2005 at 04:55 AM.