• Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

COD WW2 Anger

I buy an FPS for the shooting thing. Not for stupidly annoying tank missions. These have previously been an annoyance in older COD games but quite doable. The COD WW2 tank mission is driving me utterly insane. I've tried it even on the lowest difficulty but all I'm doing is getting angry because the control system seems to have changed from previous COD tank missions to better suit console pads. I just can NOT co-ordinate it and it's just making me seriously annoyed.

Reason I'm so annoyed? In days gone by, say in the Wing Commander games, you'd have an invulnerability button which you just pressed when a mission was repeatedly defeating you and you wanted to play the rest of the game. It'd come up on your score at the end that you had used it but that's about it. You'd also have cheat codes or at worst you'd have to hack the game or download a save game or something as there are missions which some people just can't do and it's a total game destroyer. The only victim of cheating? Your own personal sense of satisfaction.

COD WW2 has all your game files under control via Steam(ing pile of), saved games are in the cloud as well so you can't fiddle with them, has no cheat codes. Frankly I feel like they're saying "No! You WILL play the game as we demand you play it!" On top of that I can't even access half the game as I simply can not get past this STUPID tank mission that has me moving the mouse across the pad, lifting it back up and back over and repeating about 20 times to turn the damned turret 180 degrees. On top of that it seems to try to auto align the body and turret when I want them facing different directions. At worst, old games let you use some kind of external program to cheat with but even that is locked down to prevent multiplayer cheating. I've had bugs in games which have made missions uncompletable and the way around it? Cheat past it and see if it's playable with a patch down the line.

Am I going to buy another COD game? Probably not, now. If there's part of a film you don't like or hits too close to home, you skip past it. I've done that with films where parts have hit too close to horrific stuff at work, etc. Same with a book. If part is badly written and doesn't make sense, you just breeze through it quickly and pick it back up later on. It rarely ruins the whole book. I honestly feel as though they've optimised the controls for console and seriously impaired them on PC to the point where I simply can not adapt around it and in doing so, have taken my money for a game which stops me playing half of it.

It's my game, no one suffers if I cheat through the single player campaign and frankly, being able to drop cluster bombs on the enemy or to try and complete a level with a totally inappropriate gun of your choosing is enormous fun. Yet they don't just not put in cheat codes, no, they take active measures to ensure you can't cheat in THEIR game. It's an example of the same attitude held by phone manufacturers who think you shouldn't be allowed to play with the software on the phone you have bought. Or car manufacturers (and even the AA!) who say that changing part of your car for a part that performs differently is "tampering". No, it's MY product when I've bought it and I should be allowed to do what I want, within the law as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

Oh and to make it worse, their tank AP rounds don't even go through brick unless the structure is designated as destructable. So some walls will fall apart but some stray piles of bricks are made of indestructable unobtainium and completely secured to the ground. And, one of the enemy tanks appears right in your sights when it first appears but they have made it totally invincible for the first 10 or so seconds to ensure anyone with quick reactions is actually punished as you're sat there wondering why your shots aren't doing a damned thing whilst it turns its turret to kill you. Oh and a bent gate post also stops tank shells, but not a rotating turret. We should be building Army base defences with this stuff.

/RANT

Anyone know off the top of their heads how I can skip missions, unlock the ones I can't access or just make my damned tank invincible? I am NOT wasting hours upon hours trying to defeat a game which is badly designed. Maybe in days gone by but tomorrow I have a list of jobs to do and none of them involve destroying Panzer tanks. I've had a google (well, a duck duck go, but saying "I've had a duck" sounds wrong) but I can't find any way past this. Youtube videos show people doing the same thing I'm doing but they don't seem to have any frustration moving the tank around.

Don't get me started on what Far Cry 4 has done to me for going off story without permission in their "free, open world". Not buying FC5.

EDITED as some of the sentences lacked any punctuation and required the lungs of a whale to get through.

blueball

Re: COD WW2 Anger

Buy an xbox controller and it is a lot easier, whoever coded the controls for that tank battle is a bleeping bleeping idiot

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Quote Originally Posted by blueball View Post
    Buy an xbox controller and it is a lot easier, whoever coded the controls for that tank battle is a bleeping bleeping idiot
    X box controller?

Buy?

I'd rather drink my own boiling p....

Or find a way around it.

blueball

I've not found any way round it other than to use a controller and I suck at using controllers so I'm still struggling with it.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

I've not found any way round it other than to use a controller and I suck at using controllers so I'm still struggling with it.
    Yeh I hate controllers also. I'm definitely not buying one for a single level of a single game that's poorly coded. I'll just mark them down as hating the very PC gamers who made them rich and only considering console gamers in their development. So they won't be seeing any more of my money. I game on the PC partially because I hate controllers.

I'm quickly getting very disillusioned with gaming. I suspect my Vega64 will be the last decent GPU I ever buy.

So, that's another few hundred quid in the gun pot then. Might buy a cannon. My missus likes firing cannons.

6. Received thanks from:

blueball

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    Might buy a cannon. My missus likes firing cannons.

Buy her a TV Martel, better fun

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

CoD?
    I didn't realise you were 12...

9. Received thanks from:

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Buy her a TV Martel, better fun
    I doubt I could get my firearms officer to authorise that.

As for being 12... yes. And?

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    As for being 12... yes. And?
    First it was the cops, now it's those practicing medicine... either I'm getting older, or everyone else is getting younger, these days!

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

COD WW2 was indeed, pretty terrible, no matter what platform you bought it on. It had so much potential (in the campaign...MP was even worse) but was pretty poor even for a COD game.

On the last comment of your OP though, Yes Far Cry 4 was terrible (imo) - I hated it and never got past the first 2 hours. Far Cry 5 is much, much better - better story, better combat, more engaging and it plays brilliantly on keyboard/mouse. Well worth giving it a try when its back on sale again (I paid £12 I think)

Thanks

Oh man! You're like a guy on Apknite group! All of you folks trying to stay back and snipe while on defence in Op Griffin or Breakout or while planting the bomb on the ammo supply, please stop. You're not helping much and your K/D is not tracked, so don't worry about dying. Throw on Cavalry or Armored division and get near the tanks to stop them! Use Expeditionary + Saboteur and spam satchels if you have to! Literally, the only thing that matters in War is winning the match!

Thread Information