Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Games you enjoyed playing in 2019 (Not GOTY)

Thanks

Smile Games you enjoyed playing in 2019 (Not GOTY)

I'm a gamer that has way too many games in their collection, and most I'll never complete. These days, I don't even bother buying games as soon as they're released (unless I'm really hyped), as I know that I'll never play it till much later. So often I wait for sales before buying games. This also means that most of the games I play will be played years after they're released.

So I thought I'd list some of the games I played and really enjoyed in 2019. What are yours?

This list is in no particular order:
    • Doom - I never got to play this when it was released, but finally did and completed it this year. I played it via Doom 3 BFG Edition. Gave up halfway through Doom II (difficulty wall!).
    • Ride:Game - Never thought I'd like a bike game, but really enjoyed it... it's currently one of the games I pick up and do a race or two. Then leave it for a while, then go back to it.
    • Dirt 4 - Didn't think I'll have much fun playing this, but still having a lot of fun 20 hours into it. Completing a Swedish rally in a Lancer with no damage and fastest sector throughout is one heck of a challenge and one I managed to do (playing with a X-Bone controller)! One of the games I'm playing currently. Feels easier to play than Dirt Rally, which I gave up on 2017.
    • Euro Truck Simulator 2 & American Truck Simulator - I really enjoy the events in this. Plus the new trucks that get introduced keep the gameplay fresh. I've been having fun delivering Christmas presents in the new truck in ATS, and for a change, didn't feel like a chore. I've completed my personal goal, but still doing deliveries... just for fun.
    • My Time At Portia - I got this game this year, and had a lot of fun playing it... so relaxing and fun. Currently on hiatus after 54 hours, but do plan on continuing it next year.
    • Back To The Future: Ep 1 - It's About Time - I completed this episode this year! Was on Ep 2, but gave up, think I picked up another game... and it took up too much time...+ Back To The Future: Ep 1 - It's About Time - I completed this episode this year! Was on Ep 2, but gave up for MHW below...
    • Monster Hunter World (MHW) - Had a lot of fun with this game, first in the series that I've played. Didn't think I would enjoy it, as it looked complicated, and it was frustrating getting killed and failing the mission after 40mins+. But I persevered and had a lot of fun. Quit after 141 hours, but might have to go back for Iceborne DLC.
    • Glass Masquerade 2: Illusions - I think I got the first game via a humble bundle or the like. And enjoyed the heck out of it. It's a simple puzzle game, but I had fun playing it. Also one of the games I got all the achievements in steam after 29 hours!
    • Baldur's Gate EE - I never played the original, but did play the sequel. I bought this game a while back, but decided to play it, prior to Divinity: Original Sin 2 (which I've still not played!), I got 29 hours into the story before giving up. I think I hit a difficulty wall I could not get past and gave up after 29 hours, back in July. But what I did play, I had a lot of fun.
    • Shenzen I/O - I enjoyed this. Although some of the "puzzles" are too challenging and takes hours or days to solve. Still need to complete it...
    • TIS-100 - Same as above, still not complete, but will do at some point.
    • Ni-No Kuni II - I had fun in the first game, so thought I'd pick it up. The game was enjoyable, but started to get a bit repetitive, so I never got to finish the story. But do want to get to the end, so might have to do that next year.
    • Surviving Mars - This was a really fun game. I manged to complete the "story", in other words got all the tech. But after 43 hours, could not enjoy playing more... as I've seen all there is to see in the game. Was fun while it lasted.
    • To The Moon - I finally completed the story for this. Was a nice and touching game... although the ending for me was predictable.
    • Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ - I really enjoyed this earlier this year. And it was a heck of a lot of fun chasing the best times and getting a slightly better score than last time.
    • Space Engineers - Thought I'd finally check this game out this year. Was fun building a base on a planet, kinda felt like No Man's Sky in that aspect. But got a little bored after 62 hours!
    • 911 Operator - This is a fun and challenging game. Only played 3 hours, as the difficulty shot up and become not so much fun. But enjoyed sending emergency services in my home town (as it can download a map of certain areas).
    • Burnout Paradise - Had this on the PS2 years ago and now have it on Origin. Still fun as ever.
    • Yakuza 0 - Had fun with this, although gave up after 10 hours. Do need to finish this as well!
    • Knights of Pen and Paper (+1 Edition) - I played this when it came out on iOS, and played it on PC this year. Think I got close to the end, but got bored of the grind after 12 hours.
    • Total War: Warhammer II - I completed the Elf Campaign earlier this year, the victory I was going for got corrupted by a Patch. So had to spend another 12 hours to get a conquest victory. Was fun while it lasted. But got a bit bored when playing as Tomb Kings.

I have played other games as well, but the above are the ones I really had fun with in 2019.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: Games you enjoyed playing in 2019 (Not GOTY)

I played faaaar too much Minion Masters. Far too much... hundreds and hundreds of hours.

And I dived into Dirt Rally in December and I love it ..it's the best raly game I've ever tried. By miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks

Forza Horizon 4, always something going on and easy to jump in and out of
    Jon

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

I have been playing through stuff to completion the past 12 months instead of play a bit and drop for something else.

The games I really enjoyed though :

Spider-Man on PS4 : Such an amazing use of the license, criminal that it only came out on Playstation
    Baldurs Gate 1&2EE on PS4 : The controls work surprisingly well so enjoyed playing this sat back with my feet up
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider : Final part to Lara's origin story, loved it and played right through without looking at anything else (Currently playing through reboot again and have Rise installed ready to go on my XB1X)
    Jedi : Fallen Order : Amazing game that has combat similar to the souls series with large open areas with shortcuts and some amazing set pieces. Best Star Wars game in years
    Blade Runner : Finally sorted and landed on GOG a few weeks back, aged really well and such an awesome game even to this day
    Borderlands 3 : Wife bought me it for Christmas and have been playing through it daily. It is typical Borderlands and simply awesome
    Neverwinter Nights EE : Playing for review but has me hooked again like it does every time I play it. Again the controls work great and have translated well to console as well as options to have larger UI & text

Also completed 2019 AC : Syndicate, AC3 Remastered, Destiny 2 Shadowkeep (bit meh really - still way to much of a grind). Sekiro which I enjoyed up until late in the game when you square up against the guy that takes your arm at the beginning and his 3 phase encounter. Just way to cheap as if you die you start again from scratch, but From Software's usual stuff like an Ogre doing a jumping drop kick suddenly changing direction midflight to hit you, arrows bending towards you and going through enemy characters not damaging them, enemies spamming the same attacks so you can't stop blocking to attack and so on. Yeah From create great worlds but in all honesty their game mechanics at times are terrible but never brought up in reviews.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    I played faaaar too much Minion Masters. Far too much... hundreds and hundreds of hours.
    Never heard of it so looked it up..................downloading now
    Jon

Registered+
    Thanks
    • GamingLexus's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Fatal1ty Z77 Professional
      • CPU:
      • Intel® Core™ i7-3770K @ 4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • Samsung Green 16GB DDR3 1866MHz (9-9-9-27 1N) @ 1.400v
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro SSD (256GB)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
      • PSU:
      • Antec HCP-1300 Platinum PSU
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer GN246HL 24" TN LED Monitor @ 120 Hz, and Dell U2211H 22" IPS Monitor
      • Internet:
      • BT ADSL :(

Also enjoying My Time at Portia.
    Total War: Three Kingdoms.
    With a fairly (un)healthy dose of Civilization throughout.
    With a sprinkle of Insurgency: Sandstorm to keep the muscle memory in check

Thanks

Finally played through the first 2 Metro Games

Thanks

Rule the waves 2, that's probably the only game i've bought this year that i've really enjoyed.

Other games i've been plalying were older games (bought before last year, but still played)
    Bit of Post scriptum.
    Kingdom come deliverance
    Return of the Obra Dinn (bizare experience, but quite good )
    Rome 2 total war

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

I've played LOTS of 7 Days to Die...currently up to around 1200 hours in total now! Alpha 18 was released a few months ago, which has greatly improved the game. It was on sale on Steam recently for about £6 which was a bit of a bargain, but it's now back to £18.95 I think. If you're new to the game, it's a bit like a grown-up version of Minecraft Be warned though, there's quite a tough learning-curve involved in playing the game. There loads of Youtube play-through videos to help though. Co-op multiplayer is the best experience IMHO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zak33 View Post
    I tried Minion Masters last week based on what you said, and now I am hooked. Currently played 14 hours... and at level 28.

It really is fun, and the fact that you don't have to chat with complete strangers, makes it more fun to play. I don't usually like multiplayer games, but this is a positive exception. Still enjoying it, and fun for a quick game or two.
    "Arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!" - Ambassador Londo Mollari
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - A General

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by Scryder View Post
    I tried Minion Masters last week based on what you said, and now I am hooked. Currently played 14 hours... and at level 28.

It really is fun, and the fact that you don't have to chat with complete strangers, makes it more fun to play. I don't usually like multiplayer games, but this is a positive exception. Still enjoying it, and fun for a quick game or two.
    WOW.. a real life player who admits it

thats TWO of us then

I'm level ... i dunno... 110 ish? I have gold pieces coming out of my butt as Ic ant be bothered to buy 300 of those gems and spend half an hour spinning that damn random card generator

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Forza Horizons 4
    Assassins Creed Odyssey
    Gears 5
    and way too much Hearthstone
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

For me it has to be:
    Apex Legends
    Rainbow Six: Siege
    Dirt Rally 2.0

Would love to try the new Total War game and RDR2 but short on time

Thanks

discovered rim world and stardew valley, death road to canada and overcooked this year, probably my fav games of the year.

Thanks

YES baldurs gate - check the original out

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Well i've been watching more game play on youtube than actually playing

what I have played was a bit of Avorion, Stellaris and Battletech

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information