Thread: Commodore 64 emulator for PSP

Thanks

Commodore 64 emulator for PSP

I love emulators, i downloaded a spectrum emulator for my PC. 64 emulator now available for PSP

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives...ore_64_em.html

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    I love emulation, VICE is now up to version 1.18 and it runs most the Commodore 64 games, I used to use a DOS based emulator (CCs64) for it back in the days of Windows 98 and Me but have found that the emulators havnt been as succesful since the move over to Windows XP and running within Windows itself.

Might have a tinker tonight before I go to bed, Last Ninja 2 and Retrograde here I come !

Thanks
    Not bad .. now all it needs is a decent Spectrum emulator and i'll consider getting one

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    I still have my C64, who needs emuilation
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    I've the best part of the C64 in a dedicated music system... the SID chip... I wont say what I did with the rest as it may upset delicate stomachs

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    I still have a working Commodore 64 with absolutely tons of games on cassette and also disk, I have the old single sided Vic 20 Disk Drive for it aka the Breezeblock !

Thing is though emulation is so much easier than setting up the system itself so I just use that now.

I should imagine a Speccy emulator will eventually become available for the PSP. I find it quite bizarre to an extent with todays technology and games people are always interested in playing the really old titles via emulation !

Thanks
    Not really - games for the Spectrum and C64 had more lastability then most modern games. The only exception may be for networked games like CSS - which at least has the competion of real opponents.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    Yeah, start with 3 lives and try and gain more by accumulating points. No quicksaves or anything like that so you had to play through thinking about what you were doing but if you lose your lives it was back to the start of the game.

Only way you could really save is if you had an action replay cartridge so you could save levels as you reached them then load them up when you wanted to, one of the last levels on The Untouchables on the 64 where you had 15 seconds to actually shoot the guy holding the accountant and it was really hard, first person showing the gun and you had one shot per life. If you missed each shot then it was game over and back to the start of the game and the first level was really tough.

I used to love the Thalamus and System 3 games. I played Last Ninja 2 through so many times and enjoyed it every time, I could get through it with little difficulty and not losing any lives at all including the warehouse level where you had to jump across the stacking crates, it was really tough to do but once you knew exactly where to stand it was dead easy !

Thalamus and Creatures was fantastic, I actually preferred Creatures 2 with the torture chambers. Really addictive game that just kept pulling you back to it all the time. Also like I mentioned was Retrograde, on this you had Speccy stylee graphics on the Commodore 64 but it didnt matter. Buy loads of extra weapons until you were fully Retrograded (Weapons that shot out in all directions basically so if something got near it was dead ! ). After retrograding and getting loads of money you bought the planetbuster where you moved into the heart of the planet to plant the device and then it was back to the surface to carry on with what you were doing previously, damned good shooter for its time.

Like you said, you would pay £10 for a cassette game and it would last you weeks if not months before you actually completed it. Great value for money was to be had from these games. Now that things have moved on and you buy a new title you are lucky to get 10 hours out of a single player campaign for £30 ish.

After reading the start of this thread I've been playing some of the really old games on the Commodore 64 via the Vice emulator as I bought an emulator with games from HMV a good few years ago (Bought Speccy 99 also which has the emulator and games and it is still available for a mere tenner in the PC games section at most HMV stores, it has a Speccy 48 on the front with a green background and is in a standard jewel case). If you buy these 2 emulators from HMV with the games on them you will legally own the games and you can download a newer emulator to get them running properly on Windows XP !

Speccy emulator with games :

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=s...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Commodore 64 emulator with games :

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=s...&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

Those arnt the ones I actually have but the games are on there so its just finding an emulator that works for you on your system. I do personally recommend VICE as it is so easy to use and configure.

Sorry if you think I've hijacked your thread a bit Steve but I do feel emulation is a big part of gaming right across all systems, if it wasnt for these old titles where would we be now with gaming. Like I mentioned in my first post here I love emulation, on another note I actually managed to configure WinUAE to perfection to run all the old Amiga 500 games, now that took some time and patience !!!
    Last edited by Ferral; 27-12-2005 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks
    Actually the legal side of some of the emulator packs is very dubious ... trust me, its something that i've looked into very closely in the past

But yes - the only way to get quick saves was something like Action Replay on the C64 - or the Multiface on the Spectrum (or +D Disk Drive interface in my case... which had a very nice little hacking tool ... I hacked a few games with that beasty ) - drop the game onto disk, and load it up in about 20 seconds ... cant even get Steam to start up that quickly

Thread Information