Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Steam Logon?

Thanks

Unhappy No Steam Logon?

At random times I often get booted off CS:S. It then displayed a message that looks something like this to the other players:

ajbrun: no steam logon.

Has anyone got any idea why and how to fix it?

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb internal / 750Gb external
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    You could try a Steam reinstall, just make sure you backup all your data directories so you don't have to download everything again.

Thanks
    Yeah - that'd be my next step if nothing comes up here.

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor
    Ive seen other people getting kicked from servers with that error but come back on and stay without it happening agian?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooms
    Ive seen other people getting kicked from servers with that error but come back on and stay without it happening agian?
    Well, it might happen straight after, it might not happen again for another half hour.

The worst part is when it happens in a clan match.

Anyway, I've decided to reformat my hard drive now. I tried backing up all the steam files, uninstalling it, then re-installing it through the back up, but it just crashed, so I'll just start a fresh.

I'm also running out of space, so I've decided to get rid of my linux partition since I never use it to give me and extra 60 GB.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    Look at the steam forums on www.steampowered.com, i'm 99.99999% sure you will find an answer there

But it looks to me like a typical steam ticket issue - ie your steam 'logon ticket' (part of the silly system used to authenticate you on their system) is expireing. You could try backing up and then deleting (or simply renaming) your client_registry.blob file and see if that helps, i *think* that has something to do with it (though i could be totally wrong)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    Look at the steam forums on www.steampowered.com, i'm 99.99999% sure you will find an answer there

But it looks to me like a typical steam ticket issue - ie your steam 'logon ticket' (part of the silly system used to authenticate you on their system) is expireing. You could try backing up and then deleting (or simply renaming) your client_registry.blob file and see if that helps, i *think* that has something to do with it (though i could be totally wrong)
    That was the first place I looked. Everyone seems to think it's a memory isse, but my memory has been memtested and is fine.

I'm going to be reformatting in the next day or so.

Thanks
    I know this was ages ago, but this still hasn't been fixed and i'm getting more annoyed by it every day. I've done everything that's been suggested, and anything I've found on the net too. I've deleted that .blob file, reinstalled the game, and at one point, I think I even reformatted! It's not even my router because I've tried most of them in the house with the same effect. I decided to open yet another support ticket to valve to see what they have to say:

I'm getting a problem where I can't play CS:S for long, as the game crashes to desktop after looping sound for about 10 seconds. Everyone in the game then sees an error message that says something like "ajbrun has disconnected: no steam logon". This doesn't seem to happen in a regular pattern, but doesn't see to happen so much, when the server has less than about 4 people in it. It's very rare that I can play for half an hour without anything like this happening.

I've asked this twice now, and have basically been directed to the FAQ and asked about my router. I've changed every piece of hardware I can think of, and done everything that the FAQ suggests. I've also searched the internet for some help. It seems that lots of people have the same problem as me, and most believe that VAC2 is causing the problem. I've copied some text that someone called Alfred Reynolds (from Valve i believe) posted to the HLDS mailing list concerning VAC2:

--------------------------
    Things to watch for:
    - "No Steam Logon" errors reported by clients. If a user gets this
    consistently across a couple day period then get them to go to our
    support site for help.
    More can be found here - http://www.b33f.co.uk/
    --------------------------

I've had this problem for roughly 6 months now, so as you can imagine, I'm getting pretty annoyed with it. Is there anything that could be done to fix it at all? If it is something to do with VAC2, then will there be an update soon to correct the problem?

I really do hope this can be resolved soon, Adrian.
    If anyone has any other suggestions, I'll give it a go. The only other thing that I suppose it could be is my net connection, but without changing ISPs, I don't think that can be tested.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    Who is your ISP? that's a possibility but I think unlikely..(even if your stuck with ntl/aol/bt or some other nightmare provider)

guessing you have tried playing with both firewall and anti-virus software disabled? (which ones have you got btw?) and you have XPSP2 with all the updates too i expect.

Have you got any other computers in the house (or does a m8 have a laptop or a pc s/he can bring round) that are capable of playing CSS (even if its a slideshow..), this would let you confirm if your router and/or net connection is the issue. Maybe even a different steam account? Have you tried someone elses steam account on your pc (or yours on someone elses? )

would be useful really if valve could actually tell us the cause of the error, I mean they must have some idea - the error message is obviously generated by their code, so they will know what triggers it [if a) their coders can do documentation or b) they can be arsed to look through their error system]

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    Been having probs with Steam myself as of late, I updated Half Life 2 and everything else January 9th before I had no net access and after that update for some unknown reason it wont allow me to start in offline mode to play HL2.

Brother found hes had the same problem also, tried everything but it keeps trying to connect to the net even when you select offline mode. Anyone any ideas on that one ?

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe
    Ajbrun i've come to the conclusion that, Steam just doesnt like you :/
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks
    I keap getting memory problems never got them before it could the latest ATI drivers or steam update?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    (even if your stuck with ntl/aol/bt or some other nightmare provider)
    Errrr - it's actually BT, and I don't think we'll be changing ISPs very soon. We do get occasional disconnects, and I've phoned them up. I got told that they'd send an engineer round. I then got a call from them a few days later, and they asked if it was still a problem. I said it was happening right now, but it would probably happen again (it has). Therefore, since I wasn't disconnected right as that moment, we got no one to see what the problem was.

Anyway - I always keep my PC up to date with the latest updates etc and I am running SP2. I'm using Kerio free version for my firewall, and AVG for anti virus.

I've not actually thought that much about trying it on the other PC in the house that much. It's my brothers PC, and he's always very protective about who uses it, and what's installed etc. I doubt I'd get a chance on that one. When my parents get theirs brought though (a few months I'm guessing), I might sneekily try it out on theirs in exchange for me building it .

I'll keep you updated with what valve say - they always seem to have replied to my support tickets, so I'm sure I'll get a responce in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40
    Ajbrun i've come to the conclusion that, Steam just doesnt like you :/
    Yes - I'm starting to think the same thing too .

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    you could always ask your bro

Did you try with your anti-virus and firewall disabled completely? Both of these tools can easily cause many problems within your PC (even though they are there to prevent problems lol), and most people don't suspect them for just that reason. Try disabling (or even better uninstall them, you don't need anything more than the XPSP2 firewall as its actually quite good, and for anti virus..well you can always re-install AVG later on if you don't have the funds for a better one). Of course it might not help but it's a good place to start.

Oh and does this only happen with CSS? What about other source games (HL2DM [yes i know its boring but it could be a good test] or DODS if you have it) or none source games (try TFC for example, aswell as helping to find your problem it's the best game on steam after CSS and worth playing despite it's age )

Thanks
    Is using the internet without a firewall a good idea? I'm willing to try it without anti virus, but I'm vary unsure about turning off my firewall.

I'll give DOD:S another go tonight. I know G4Z and a few other like it, so I'll see if I can get some players together.

I'll ask my brother, but it's about 95% likley he'll say no - worth a try still I suppose.

Thanks for the help Spud .

EDIT - just noticed DOD:S and HL2: DM needs installing :
    Last edited by ajbrun; 24-01-2006 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    If you are IT savvey(sp?) Then sure it's fine, as long as you are careful you will be fine. Most routers these days have an SPI firewall built in anyway that can cope with most malicious attacks, and common sense is your best friend here anyway.

In anycase it's only going to be for a short time while you test anyway...

edit - oh and try TFC instead, much better game than dod:S...or even the original DOD, again a much much better game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information