Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: F.e.a.r

Thanks

F.e.a.r

Have any of you played this yet?

Ive had a go and have to say that its very very impressive.

Graphics and Sound are some of the most stunning ive seen, making the game completely immersible. Playing in the dark with headphones on (surround sound) there were moments when i actually jumped.

Game play is good too, lots of action mixed with some small halflife style puzzle solving of how to get from one place to another. When the action is there, it is very fast paced with bullets and grenades going off all around the place. The AI is unrelenting and you will get situations where the enemy will camp it out and wait for you to pop around the corner, or they will advance and throw grenades around the corner and then rush you. One guy even crept up to the corner and as i was about to leap out, he stuck his gun around the corner, waggled it and fired. They are also quite tactial and will flank around to try and get behind you without realising - fortunately my surround sound saved my ass.

One of the main features of the game is the SlowMo mode. Which is basically a rechargable bullet time. For a small period of time you can enter slow mo mode, which simulates you having faster reactions. Using slowmo you can take out more enemies quicker and aim easier as they dont fire back as fast.

As well as the traditional / no traditional weapons - there are a few melee combat moves for you to utilise. Ranging from a pistol whip, to a running flying or sliding kick, these moves can be used most of the time to kill a single oponent in one hit. However, i have rarely used these as normally by the time your close to someone, they spot you, or they have a mate just around the corner who is ready to place a well aimed clip from a submachine gun into your body.

The selection of weapons is not too shabby either. You can carry only three different weapons at a time, so you have to be carefull what you pick up. My typical setup was a shotgun, fully automatic rifle and either an armour piercing harpoon like gun or an antimatter gun thing which reminds me of a railgun. There are other guns too, none of which i will go into detail on. However, one that is worth mentioning is is the armour piercing harpoony kinda gun (as you can see, i forgot the name). This gun does a lot of damage but the cool thing about it, is that sometime you can pin the enemy to the wall with the bullet. The enemies body will be hinged to the wall like a dummy. its great. On one enemy i even managed to blow him up with a grenade and whilst he was in the air, fire the harpoony gun and pin him high up on the wall.

A selection of three grenades are there to help you, traditional frag grenades, proximity grenades and remote detonating grenades. All of which have their different times and place to use. Just be aware that the AI is very very good and so if you throw a proximity grenade out whilst they know you are there, they either wont come ove rit or will shoot it. Use them wisely.

There is a story to the game, which has a couple of different threads, but i dont want to give away anything so i wont go into them, save to say that its worth watching the cutscenes and listening to all the answer phones messages, laptop messages etc.

Throughout the game you are in contact with members of your team, through a comms headset type thing. However, sometimes that goes a bit fuzzy when "certain things" happen. You can also over hear the enemy units and their language is quite colourfull (i think its modelled on pyle).

One thing that may bug some people is that it seems to be a bit, not too much, but a bit linear. Now im not sure whether thats me just choosing the right paths most of the time or if its desinged that way, either way you spend minimal time looking for the right way to go.

There is so much more to say about this game, but i dont want to ruin it so just go get it and play it.

I rate this game 8/9 out of 10.

With an adult theme and language (as well as toggleable gore) this is not for children and parents with younguns (15 and under) might not want their kids to be playing this.

Thank you and good nite.

Thanks
    awesome, i'm getting it tomorrow
    i'm really looking forward to it, more than Q4 which is strange

Thanks
    • Dooms's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 2080 Super
      • PSU:
      • 750W Corsair Pro
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 6.1
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34UC88 34-Inch 21:9
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Telenor
    Thought it was ment to be out last friday but couldnt pick a copy up yesterday (ended up spending £15 on nes games instead ) - loved the demo and cant wait to get the game installed on my PC.

Thanks
    Waiting for it off Play.

Thanks
    I've played the DEMO and this game really rocks!!!

I can't wait putting my hands on it!!!

Thanks
    • asteroth's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI NF4 SLI-DR Expert
      • CPU:
      • Opteron 165
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoints
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Evga 8800 GTS 320
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 12+ 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC60 Black
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20 inch wide
      • Internet:
      • Be
    Quote Originally Posted by zachig
    I've played the DEMO and this game really rocks!!!

I can't wait putting my hands on it!!!
    ditto game rocks the demo scared the crap outta me on a few occasions

Thanks
    im gunna give this game a go on the single player side of things but i realy not interested in the MP side of it, to me this game is the fps version of max payne 1/2

Easy Tiger!!!
    Thanks
    My house m8 got it on Saturday morning and completed it in 12 hours (on Hard). He said its way too short, and is now re-playing on the hardest level now. Ive watched him play, and my god it looks stunning.

Thanks
    EvilMunky, what spec PC are you playing this on? I have heard is a monster of a system hog. Although saying that, the system in my spec ran the demo surprisingly well.

Thanks
    Hoping best mate got the Hint I gave him to get me the game. Great review cheers mate
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre
    My copy arrived today....

Looking forward to some thrills, chills and kills this week
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    I didn't find the graphics all that amazing - am i to be stoned for my sins?

I didn't think there was a greater level of detail as compared to half life 2 or doom 3 given the drop in framerate over those two games.. Good game none-the-less but gets a bit samey after a while (most games do) and you only ever really battle soldiers.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    Hmm ^^ there was no frame rate drop for me - performance was tip top all the way thru.

I hear what you say about only fighting soldiers - which isnt a bad thing - i dont alway slike blowing up aliens.

I also agree that on hard dficiulty its not tremendously dificult - however, it is still immensley fun. Using the quick save function i would quite often go back and redo little sections of battle differently, just to see the different ways to play the game.

My spec is :

amd 64 3800 san diego
    2gb corsair ram
    WD Raptor 74gb 10,000rpm HDD
    XFX 6800ultra 256mb grafix
    19" monitor
    Surround sound Zalman headphones
    and the box that my monitor came in for use as a foot rest.

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMunky
    Hmm ^^ there was no frame rate drop for me - performance was tip top all the way thru.
    I get much higher frame rates for doom3/hl2 as compared to FEAR - that's what i meant - at 1600x1200 (the native res of my monitor). Run the built-in framerate tester and play around with the options - once you start adding serious bling it don't half slow down (at said res). I didn't feel that the game looked any better than the aforementioned games given the dip in framerate. In fact, in places, things look pretty square - pipes/architecture etc.
    I did overclock my graphics card and mix/matched the options until i found a playable set of options without having to drop the resolution (and make everything blocky due to scaling).
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    Looks like ill play it through on the hardest setting, so i can make it last as long as possible.

it's really anoying when shooters are't long enough. Hl2 was to short and this. Far Cry was a pretty good length, and D3. Byt the sounds of it though its pretty much all the same, so any longer might of been tedious?

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    8-12 hours of gameplay i'd estimate. Worth it? Yes, there's enough in there to keep you interested. Is it a half-life 2 beater? No - there's not enough innovation in there (half life 2 kept throwing new things at you) and it's just not in the same league (but then nothing is). FEAR has fantastic jumpy moments tho - reminded me of 'Undying' in places - clearly inspired by Japanese horror (Ringu/The Ring).
    I suppose the real question will be - is it better than Quake 4? If you're into FPS' and you've got one game to buy this month it's either FEAR or Quake4 I guess. Quake 4 is a big unknown right now - but it could offer better multiplayer, higher framerates (on my machine certainly i'm guessing) and perhaps more variance in enemies and so forth. FEAR is merely flits between 'fighting soldiers' and 'freaky dream sequency thingies' for the whole game (aside from a couple of mechs that appear).

I will say one thing tho - the end sequence of FEAR is very dramatic and the only bit of the game to make me go "OH WOW" as i'd never seen that done in a game before.
    Last edited by dangel; 17-10-2005 at 05:10 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information