Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Dark Zero...

Banned
    Thanks

Perfect Dark Zero...

Why, when reviews for other launch titles, such as Project Gotham and Kameo, have been up on IGN and GameSpot for a while now, is there still no sign of a PDZ review on either site?

Its a launch title, its the flagship launch title, and yet the review, for no good reason, is missing from both sites. The system launches in the US tonight... a console launching with no reviews of its flagship title avalible? Don't think I've seen that before.

Now, why? Could it be because the game is as average as a medium sized thing, in a big bowl of large and small things?

Both IGN and GameSpot seem intent on messing around with uninteresting non-reviews; IGN in the shape of a series of Perfect Dark impressions, written by various members of the team, and GameSpot in the shape of a 'final hands on'.

Now, if you have impressions of the game, then write the review - thats what a review is, someones impression of the game. Why avoid or delay it?

If GameSpot have the final game, and indeed have their big, squidgey, pink hands, quite literally on it, then again, write the review.

Two major games sites, both delaying a review for no good reason, now to the very moment the system actually launches, both skirting the issue with mindless filler articles that, if anything, make the review no-show even more obvious, as both of the cop out articles obviously took as much playtime to make as the review would... yet neither chose to review the game.

Just something to think about. Consoles with amazing flagship launch titles do not launch without a review of that title for no reason at all. Simple fact is the review could be up on both sites; all the other launch title reviews are... have been for a while as well.

Could be nothing, could mean its total bunk. We shall see.

Either way, I have to think there are a lot of Yank gamers out there now thinking - don't give me impressions, don't give me a final hands on, give me a review like you have for every other launch title... BEFORE the game launches.

EDIT - If the reviews appear in the next few hours and it gets a 9.9 out of 10, then obviously they were just milking it, but I've a funny feeling PDZ might not be the killer ap it has been hyped up to be.
    Last edited by Stewart; 21-11-2005 at 06:39 PM.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    there was loads of info about the discs are being pressed in china on the 18th, and being shipped back (on boat?).

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Banned
    Thanks
    IGN and GameSpot have the game, both hae had time to write a review, neither have done so, both going for filler articles.

This is either to hype the game up more and keep interest at a peak, or its because the games crap.

Take your pick.

Thanks
    • unreal's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel iMac 20" & Macbook
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR667
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 7200 Int + 1.5Tb Ext
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon 2400XT
      • PSU:
      • 95W or something?
      • Case:
      • Intel iMac 20" Aluminium
      • Operating System:
      • OSX Snow Leopard (Win 7 x64 on Macbook Bootcamp)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" @ 1680x1050 & 27" 1080p HDTV
      • Internet:
      • O2 10mb
    Official Xbox Magazine already reviewed it, http://forums.xbox.com/438343/ShowPost.aspx

It got 9/10...
    +Superb Replay Value
    +Colossally addictive on Xbox Live
    +More weapons than Charlton Heston
    +Better-than-high-end PC visuals

-Embarrassingly Wacky Voiceovers

Interesting theory you have there though

Banned
    Thanks
    I don't mean to dismiss what I'm sure is a very good publication, but I would suggest that the official Xbox magazine is not really the best place for a really fair review.

There was no chance at all that this mag would give the flagship 360 launch title anything less than 9/10. Never trust (or even read ) any official magazine.

For instance, I've not played the game, I've only seen the first 8 minutes of gameplay footage, but I'm willing to wager that the 'wacky' voiceovers are not the only negative.

Its all quite interesting really. I just hope the game isn't a turkey, thus explaining why the big review sites are doing anything they can to avoid having to write a review of this game, even if that means writing a review by another name so they don't have to give a score.

I've ordered Call of Duty 2 for my 360, so either way I've got a solid FPS for my system, but I *really* want to read this review now.

EDIT - Oh, and as for the first 8 minutes of the game being played that I watched on IGN, it looked very shiny and everything, but it didn't exactly leave me drooling for it. Seemed your bog standard Time Splitters II type thing, with a new hat on. Just have to wait, and wait, and wait for the review, and see, I suppose.
    Last edited by Stewart; 21-11-2005 at 08:15 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    IGN and GameSpot have the game, both hae had time to write a review, neither have done so, both going for filler articles.

This is either to hype the game up more and keep interest at a peak, or its because the games crap.

Take your pick.
    Seeing as IGN only got their copy on friday, and bring a well respected gaming site they would only publish a review when they've finished the game. I would rather get a review from someone who's completed the game and that the final review is well written and get across their impressions.

Here's a review to keep you quiet until we get it next week. Overall score 9.7 Be warned, that site seems to be getting hit hard.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbandit
    Seeing as IGN only got their copy on friday, and bring a well respected gaming site they would only publish a review when they've finished the game. I would rather get a review from someone who's completed the game and that the final review is well written and get across their impressions.
    Plenty of time to write the review, given that it launches soon, that all other reiews are up (fair enough, they probably had those games slightly sooner), and mainly given we have impressions, final hands on, and everything else that normally would not be an article in themselves, it would be the in-game playtime that the review is then written on.

We'll see.

Here's a review to keep you quiet until we get it next week. Overall score 9.7 Be warned, that site seems to be getting hit hard.
    Site isn't doing anything, and either way, not knowing the site or how much their reviews can be trusted, it means nothing to me. I know how to judge a GameSpot or IGN review, I know what types of games they tend to over and undermark, so I can get a good idea of how good the game actually is.

Throw in the fact that its an Xbox website, and as such everything written has to be taken with a pinch of salt, and its not the best way to get an honest impression of the game.

Oh, and this is a discussion forum, its not a place that works very well if I, or anyone else keeps quiet.

Hopefully there's nothing in it, and the game is great. Just with both the big sites doing exactly the same thing, giving us a filler article and no reivew, it might be pointing towords something. Probably not, but maybe.
    Last edited by Stewart; 21-11-2005 at 08:45 PM.

Thanks
    • JimmyBoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250gb Samsung 840 SSD / 3tb Seagate / 1tb Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS ATi Radeon HD 7950
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX 650w
      • Case:
      • Bit Fenix Shinobi XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG IPS277L-BN 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 120mb down 10mb up
    well, rare made it, that usually means a game is brilliant

Thanks
    Oh, and this is a discussion forum, its not a place that works very well if I, or anyone else keeps quiet. If you want that, you can always stop posting and go elsewhere.
    WTF is that meant to mean? You are reading way to much into what i write. Nice edit by the way.

Banned
    Thanks
    Its supposed to mean this is a discussion forum, if you want to me or anyone to be quiet, or indeed call people an idiot as you did in another thread, then you can go elsewhere.

I also don't want my threads turned into bickering with you either.

'Nicely missed Stewart' when I ask you not to call people an idiot in a thread isn't going to get you anywhere, nor is 'Nice edit by the way' or indeed any other attempts at being clever.

Just be nice, and talk about the topic at hand. Thats what we do here - enjoy it. I'm sure I am reading too much into it, and I'm sure BrandX was also mistaken, but either way, you are getting on forums members nerves with your blunt style of posting.

Soften the tone a tad, slightly?
    Last edited by Stewart; 21-11-2005 at 10:02 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Just been reading the Perfect Dark 'impressions' on IGN... very mixed. Some like it, some think its less than average.

Jimmy - You know, a few years back, you'd have been spot on - Rare was a name you could trust completely. Now however? I'm not so sure. Take a look at their recent record...

Thanks
    • JimmyBoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VI ROG Hero
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770k @ 4.4ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250gb Samsung 840 SSD / 3tb Seagate / 1tb Western Digital
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS ATi Radeon HD 7950
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX 650w
      • Case:
      • Bit Fenix Shinobi XL
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LG IPS277L-BN 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 120mb down 10mb up
    Jimmy - You know, a few years back, you'd have been spot on - Rare was a name you could trust completely. Now however? I'm not so sure. Take a look at their recent record...
    what have they done recently??
    the only fairly reecent thing i can think of is conker live n reloaded n although half the game is an n64 remake its brilliant.

ur statement also brings another developer to mind, capcom, they've been so hit and miss as of late

Banned
    Thanks
    Conker Live as you said, Banjo Pilot, It's Mr Pants, Sabre Wulf on the GBA, Banjo Gruntys Revenge.

Good games, but up to their standards of a few years ago? Probably not.

Banned
    Thanks
    Well, GameSpot have just squashed any doubts I had - 9.0 out of 10. Still no sign of an IGN review, but as its IGN who tend to overscore games, you can bet it'll get something arond a 9.0 as well, if not higher. GameSpot I trust completely though, so if they say its good, 99.99% of the time, it is.

Looks like the 360 is going along the same path as the Xbox; great FPS games to shift units. Call of Duty 2 is getting rave reviews and now Perfect Dark 0, just like Halo did back in the early Xbox days.

Seems Rare have come good again - Kameo and PDZ, a very nice contribution to the 360 launch.

Was wondering for a while there... thought it might be a cock up, especially after the luke warm reception in the IGN impressions and the review not being up till the last second.

Ah well, bring it on.

Thanks
    Yeh I was dubious about PDZ but seems to be getting best scores of any of the launch games, that means Im gonna hve to buy this and PGR3 and Kameo now

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Its supposed to mean this is a discussion forum, if you want to me or anyone to be quiet, or indeed call people an idiot as you did in another thread, then you can go elsewhere.

I also don't want my threads turned into bickering with you either.

'Nicely missed Stewart' when I ask you not to call people an idiot in a thread isn't going to get you anywhere, nor is 'Nice edit by the way' or indeed any other attempts at being clever.

Just be nice, and talk about the topic at hand. Thats what we do here - enjoy it. I'm sure I am reading too much into it, and I'm sure BrandX was also mistaken, but either way, you are getting on forums members nerves with your blunt style of posting.

Soften the tone a tad, slightly?
    LOL, Stewart - just one thing to remember, you are a mod. Your first comment to Beanbandit's post shows more distane than his post deserves imo. He has provided the thread with a link to a review and sure a cheeky comment, but its hardly worthy of the response you've come back with. It takes two to tango and in my opinion you two are just winding each other up. Compared to the other mods you just like to score points against people who critise anything you say in your own created posts (which i view you as a poster and not as a mod - You can't use your powers as a mod to WIN an arguement that some people disagree with)

I personally agree with Beanbandits comments, in the sense that most games reviewers should complete the game before you should release the review. Otherwise how can you even begin to comment on how long the gameplay will last, whether there is replayability value or anything else?.

Sorry if this causes more hassle but i feel i have to say something.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information