Thread: Java Quake 2... playtest!

Thanks

Java Quake 2... playtest!

Yesterday we brought you news of Jake2, the Java conversion of id’s classic first person shooter, Quake 2. Well today we bring you screenies from our very own playtest of the Java version.. and it’s rockingly good!

Simply put you NEED to check it out on HEXUS.gaming and get it running... it's a doddle and so much fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    umm whats the point in us playing this? Why should we play it on java rather than the original C/Cpp code?

I mean, from a conceptual/developers point of view this must be a great, an example that Java can actualyl do something useful outside of the internet...but for the rest of us?

imho it's a bad idea anyway, but then I'm not a fan of java, i don't like coding in it and i find that almost (i said almost before ppl jump down my throat) all java apps are slow in either operation, load or unload times, and generally don't work as nicely as their more 'standard' counterparts.

That's not to take anything away from the developers though, its a remarkable achievement and somethign that I never imagined java woudl be capable of..

Thanks
    had a play of it and it was nice and fast - been a while since I played Q2
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    umm whats the point in us playing this? Why should we play it on java rather than the original C/Cpp code?

I mean, from a conceptual/developers point of view this must be a great, an example that Java can actualyl do something useful outside of the internet...but for the rest of us?

imho it's a bad idea anyway, but then I'm not a fan of java, i don't like coding in it and i find that almost (i said almost before ppl jump down my throat) all java apps are slow in either operation, load or unload times, and generally don't work as nicely as their more 'standard' counterparts.

That's not to take anything away from the developers though, its a remarkable achievement and somethign that I never imagined java woudl be capable of..
    The point? Well, you can play it wherever you are without having to lug the disk along for a start... and no, other than that, there's not much point.

To my mind I reckons its hats off to the devs for a great conversion. You're right, there's better thing to do with your time, but it's just a bit of fun without bothering with disks, CD keys and all that malarkey.

I haven't and most likely never will code for Java so I've no idea what its like but I still reckon this is a great time waster of a game..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thread Information