Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-Genie of the Lamp.

Banned
    Thanks

E-Genie of the Lamp.

So, you have 3 gaming wishes, 3 dream games that you could play, what would they be? Specific games, not just 'I wish there was a game where you could be a monkey who could fly and is immune to lazers, and eats bananas to turn into Super Monkey, who can also fly, and is also immune to lazers, but can be invisible as well! And the last boss is a big Ant-Eater who is made of steel apart from his toes, and you have to find the magic hammer and hit his toes to win the game!'

My three:

1) Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting, with full online play, virtual arcade mode, none of this Alpha or Super nonsense, just the original Street Fighter. The best arcade game ever online, in-house, wireless pad, lets 'ave it. ( Well done Microsoft)

2) Final Fantasy VII, exactly the same as before in terms of gameplay, complete graphical update. Simple. Would be beyond perfect.

3) Brand new *2-D* Mario game, in the style of Super Mario World. Just the classic Mario gameplay, but all of Nintendo's genius poured into it. Again, no 3D, nothing like Yoshi's Island, just a mahoosive Mario World \ Mario Bros 3 type game.

So, 3 choices (well 2, as one will be with us within a month) all harking back to the good old days.

Your choices?
    Last edited by Stewart; 20-02-2006 at 11:47 PM.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    A proper MMORPG that had an IQ test before you could play it so youd get people that actually wanted to rolep;ay rather than just go round bashing stuff.

An awesome puzzle game, although saying that, lumines is about as perfect as you can get puzzle wise, much better than tetris imo

And in a game related but not actual game wish, the return of small game studios rather than EA owning everything

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by herulach
    And in a game related but not actual game wish, the return of small game studios rather than EA owning everything
    Ah. Matthew Smith (Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy), The Oliver Twins (Dizzy). That's the good old-old days.

I've come to the conclusion that all games today are crap. Or at least crap compared to what we used to play. Gotham 3, Dead or Alive 4, Perfect Dark Zero. All good games, but go back a few years and the games were simply better. A Beat-Em-Up from 1991 is about to brush Dead or Alive 4 aside. Go further back and the games were still better than they are now.

Standards have fallen, graphics have improved.

How many fighting games better than Street Fighter II since it came out in the 90s?

How many racing games better than Mario Kart on the SNES?

How many RPGs better than Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII?

How many platformers better than Mario World? How many 3D platformers better than Mario 64?

How many adventure games better than a Link to the Past?

How many side-scrolling Beat-Em-Ups better than Streets of Rage?

How many FPS better than Doom?

These games are decades old, and still the bench mark games.

Kameo? Half Life II? Gran Turismo? Look great, all of them, but as much fun as the games from many generations ago? Not a chance.

Sorry to go off topic in my own thread, but the magic has gone kids. All games today are (relatively speaking) crap.

Thanks

Thanks
    • jon bda's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 250gb (Boot) 4x 500gb (Storage)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS HD5770 1gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1010
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 204BW
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet ADSL

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    Your choices?
    Same as your two and three, can you imagine FF7 with the sort of graphics we're seeing with the Gears Of War screenies for the 360. And i can't wait for the new 'proper' Mario game. Apart from that, i'd like Outrun 2 to work on my 360...

Thanks
    as for post #3

its quite hard to say really...

what if HL2 and Doom2 were released at the same time? Would ya still think the same?

Banned
    Thanks
    Yeah, looks promising, but (especially as its on the DS) Nintendo will mess around with the gameplay, try to update it, add touch-screen support, put in a chicken feeding mini-game, bring out a solar panel add-on, and a paint-brush pen that you use to paint happy faces on the sad children, take Bowser out and replace him with Spinko, the evil King of the Mud Lizards, etc, etc, blah, blah.

If its a pure 2D Mario platformer that plays like the greats of old, it could be great. Nintendo might feel they have to change things, but if its not broken, don't fix it, and the Mario series pre Mario Sunshine certainly isn't broken.

Another case in point, Sonic. Give us another 2D side scrolling Sonic game. The first 2 are stil the best. Give us a massive, 2D Sonic adventure, none of this sub-sub-sub-sub-sub Mario 64 nonsense. Sonic doesn't work in 3D, and every 3D Sonic game has been a shadow of the almost-Mario-beating classics that I played a million times on the Mega Drive.

Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    Ah. Matthew Smith (Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy), The Oliver Twins (Dizzy). That's the good old-old days.

I've come to the conclusion that all games today are crap. Or at least crap compared to what we used to play. Gotham 3, Dead or Alive 4, Perfect Dark Zero. All good games, but go back a few years and the games were simply better. A Beat-Em-Up from 1991 is about to brush Dead or Alive 4 aside. Go further back and the games were still better than they are now.

Standards have fallen, graphics have improved.

How many fighting games better than Street Fighter II since it came out in the 90s?
    I prefered whats it called, japanese thing on the dreamcast, never could get street fighter, all i could do was the hundred hand slap
    How many racing games better than Mario Kart on the SNES?
    FOr multiplay none, but single player, any of forza, pgr2, nfs underground
    How many RPGs better than Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VII?
    Since it only realyy fits into this category GTA, also Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR 1 & 2
    How many platformers better than Mario World? How many 3D platformers better than Mario 64?
    Sonic adventure
    How many adventure games better than a Link to the Past?
    See GTA comment
    How many side-scrolling Beat-Em-Ups better than Streets of Rage?

How many FPS better than Doom?
    Doom 2, Quake 3 arena, UT2004, BF1942,
    These games are decades old, and still the bench mark games.

Kameo? Half Life II? Gran Turismo? Look great, all of them, but as much fun as the games from many generations ago? Not a chance.

Sorry to go off topic in my own thread, but the magic has gone kids. All games today are (relatively speaking) crap.[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz316
    as for post #3

its quite hard to say really...

what if HL2 and Doom2 were released at the same time? Would ya still think the same?
    I just think that in amost ever genre, the benck mark games are still from many years ago. Even with all the raw power of the 360, the PS2, Xbox, whatever, nobody can bring a game to the market that so much as troubles the position of the established best few games of that type.

Kameo is a good game, but its so far behind the likes of Mario 64 in terms of overall game design, its almost scary. Its not a step backwards, you can hardly see Mario 64 from where it is. And this is Rare... even they are getting worse as the years go by and the GPUs get more powerful.

The 16bit era seems to be the golden age. The best few games on the Mega Drive \ SNES not only stand up to the best few games on the current systems, they beat them on every single area you can judge a game on, graphics aside.

Banned
    Thanks
    herulach: Firstly, I'll assume the Sonic Adventure answer was a joke.

As for the rest, opinions are opinions, but if you think the likes of Need For Speed Underground will be remembered in the same league as Super Mario Kart, in years to come, then I think, well I know, you are very wrong indeed.

The 'japanese thing' may have been Soul Caliber.

Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    herulach: Firstly, I'll assume the Sonic Adventure answer was a joke.
    I Loved sonic adventure, be silent now!
    As for the rest, opinions are opinions, but if you think the likes of Need For Speed Underground will be remembered in the same league as Super Mario Kart, in years to come, then I think, well I know, you are very wrong indeed.
    Maybe not NFS, but i was giving examples of great single player racers. I also prefer double dash to the original, well, the racing parts, battle is pants.
    The 'japanese thing' may have been Soul Caliber.
    Indeed it was, so awesome i cant remember the name. Seriously though, this was a great game.

As for the 16bit era being a golden age, im not so sure, its just its long enough ago to have forgotten some of the utter pap that was around then, i reckon if you scaled it by market, theres no fewer good games out today than then, its just all the crap is still fresh and steaming inyour memory

Banned
    Thanks
    I agree there were crap games then and crap games now. But cut away those games, and the top few % of games from back in the day are classics. Whats around now for us to look back on in years to come?

The fact is, by now all the games I mentioned should have been long since surpassed, but it seems the talent isn't there anymore. Microsoft are not going to do this. All they will do is bring out 25 driving games per month, then hit us with a mildly-dissapointing-though-flashy Halo 3.

Its all so predictable.
    Last edited by Stewart; 21-02-2006 at 12:44 AM.

Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media
    I agree there were crap games then and crap games now. But cut away those games, and the top few % of games from back in the day are classics. Whats around now for us to look back on in years to come?

The fact is, by now all the games I mentioned should have been long since surpassed, but it seems the talent isn't there anymore. Microsoft are not going to do this. All they will do is bring out 25 driving games per month, then hit us with a mildly dissapointing-though-flashy Halo 3.

Its all so predictable.
    Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil Series, donkey konga, GTA, pursuit force, pikmin, uplink, Max payne,

And as long as miyamoto is still around theres always a chance of some awesome new games, although nintendo seem to be getting very gimmicky of late.

Banned
    Thanks
    Resident Evil and Pikmin are both great, yes.

Viewtiful Joe is good, but again, its not going to go down as an all time classic. Standards are going down though.

Capcom - worse or better now than in the 90s? Much worse. Square... Rare... even (dare I say it) Nintendo... all not producing now what they once were. Add Sega to that list as well.

Miyamoto is a genius. This is not open to discussion. Still needs to be allowed to do what he used to though.

We shall see what the next Zelda brings.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    herulach...seriously..well I guess we are all entitled to our opinions

Sonic Adventure being a better game than mario64? No, sry, but even none ninty fanboys will have to disagree here surely? Sonic adventure was ok, but not in the same league.

RPGs? Well first off GTA is NOT an RPG, and the others you mentioned are not comparable to FF/Chrono - the ones you mentioned are all essentially AD&D Based games, whereas FF/Chrono are a different type of game all together. Personally I thought the FF series was pants anyway but you still can't compare the two.

GTA being a better adventure game than link to the past? Again you a) have your genres mixed up and b) no, it's just not. Ok I am sure there ar better adventure games than link to the past ( i really like ocarina of time for example), but I don't know enough to give an example

Streets of rage we all seem to agree on, I want a new version of that lol, love it

Rare stunted their own growth and creativity when they signed up to microsoft, working with nintendo may have been hard work for them but they produced some of the n64's best games - blast corps, goldeneye, pefect dark (the Good one, not zero), banjo kazooie, conkers bad fur day (hilarious game lol), what have they produced now? What seems like a rushed (possibly pressured by MS) version of PD:Z on the 360? probably more but nothing that I know about off the top of my head.

Anyway.

Back OT, I really want to see a new sideways scrolling super mario - perhaps nintendo will do a cell-shaded one? I'm no big fan of cell shading but it might let them keep the original entertaining game dynamic of the mario series, while still keeping it looking modern and feeling like a new game

A sonic game would be great too, I have sonic on my GBA and it's pretty good, faithful to the original versions..Now that Sega are working with Nintendo too we might see one of the rev..who knows

I'd really love another decent GTA title as well - back to the old top-down style of the first 2 as opposed to this gangsta trying-to-be-cool-and-serious full 3D style they have adapted. It just doens't work aswell as it did in GTA 1/2, which were, and are just plain fun.

Thanks
    • unreal's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel iMac 20" & Macbook
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR667
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 7200 Int + 1.5Tb Ext
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon 2400XT
      • PSU:
      • 95W or something?
      • Case:
      • Intel iMac 20" Aluminium
      • Operating System:
      • OSX Snow Leopard (Win 7 x64 on Macbook Bootcamp)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" @ 1680x1050 & 27" 1080p HDTV
      • Internet:
      • O2 10mb
    A lot of people remember those classic games because they were the original good ones that set the standard - if we were to get those games now but in our graphical era, with the same amount of good games we get per year, we would probably enjoy them as they are good games, but we won't find them as legendary now as we remember them being before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information