Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Dark Zero - Its a Bit Crap Really, Isn't It?

Banned
    Thanks

Perfect Dark Zero - Its a Bit Crap Really, Isn't It?

How bad is this game? I've finished it a while ago, and after seeing all it has to offer, I have to ask; was there any point at all in making this?

The single player missions are dull, tedious seen-it-a-million-times-before stuff. The AI is irritating, the story is laughable, the graphics, whilst not bad, are nothing to write home about. Everything looks likes its been coated in wax and the character models are poor.

There's just no point in this game ever having exsisted. What is it doing that hasn't been done before, much, much better?

Multiplayer is so far behind what Halo 2 gave us on the Xbox years ago, its almost embarrassing. Rare, what are you doing? This game is a mess.

I've tried to like it, really... but its just so dull, so slow, so boring, so sloppy that I just can't play it anymore.

My collectors edition will be straight to GAME for a trade in. Oblivion I think.

Did anyone actually like this? When I first got it, for a short while I thought it MUST get better, it can't be as poor as the first few levels suggest - it is. Have you seen the graphics inside the nightclub on the second level? Current gen? Not a chance.

The highlight of owning this game was the few seconds of JetPac you get to see at the loading screen.

Rare are going downhill quicker than... well, quicker than something thats going down a hill really fast.

If you've played this to the end (I have, and it was just to get it done before I get rid) did you actually feel like it was worth the £40/£50 you paid for it?

Thread might seem a little out of the blue, but I thought I'd go back on and get a few more achievements before I trade it, and then realised why I hadn't played it since I completed it and why I'd have breaks of 10 days or more between the (very easy) missions on Agent dificulty.

Ah well, back to Dead or Alive while we are still waiting for Street Fighter...

Oh - it slows down as well. Quite a lot. This isn't good.
    Last edited by Stewart; 22-03-2006 at 01:02 PM.

Atari Falcon 030
    Thanks
    • bigblue's system
      • Motherboard:
      • K8N
      • CPU:
      • X2 4200
      • Storage:
      • 250 Gb WDC
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GT
      • PSU:
      • Tagan Modular 430W
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 20WGX2
      • Internet:
      • BT Yahooseless
    Yup, it really didn't live up to expectations did it ?

I'm struggling to accurately describe my disappointment and I think the best way to do it would be in a way more suited to the Xbox forums.

It's Pants. There.

I actually preferred King Kong As much as it was incredibly linear there was at least a few moments where it was enoyable and involving.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Living up to expectation and being crap are too different things.

I certainly don't think its crap, and quite enjoyed borrowing it from a friend. I still find it very satisfying multiplayer especially on the other modes (something different from death match)

What you describe Stewart is that if its not original don't release a game?, hardly think thats the way the industry works at the moment.

But no i don't think its poor. Sure its not a classic either, but its certainly one of the best X360 games out there at the moment (tho that doesn't say much either)

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    Yeah I didn't enjoy the game at all. I thought everything was trying to be far too shiny. Take a normal level with normal testures and add a layer of really shiny "slime" over everything. Yes Rare: brick walls are shiny....

Some of the level designs sucked some serious ass too - very hard to see your way and then you suddenly get hit by 100 people firing at you from god-knows-where. The end boss was totally pants too

I enjoyed the bit in the space station though - but that was about it!

Mind you I'm not a big fan of PGR3 which many others are

fight Night 3 on the other hand.....
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    Bloody awful. Amped 3 was much better.
    Not around too often!

Thanks
    Rare doing a bad game?

(/me tries to put Pentegram out of his mind)

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    This is what happens when microsoft effectivly buys you

I have now played this game - and while not all the way through (dont own a 360 thank god) and I agree with what I have seen from it. No where near the standards set by the original perfect dark

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    This is what happens when microsoft effectivly buys you
    Im sure that Rare kept control of the development process. Id be interested if you have any links to prove otherwise though
    I think its more of a case of Rare making a bad game
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    Out of interest, are the Stamper Brothers still in charge?

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent
    Im sure that Rare kept control of the development process. Id be interested if you have any links to prove otherwise though
    I think its more of a case of Rare making a bad game
    unfortunately not, but I know that at rareHQ its covered in microsoft stuff now (well was last year), and the intro video was heavy on the microsoft stuff (from when I applied there last year, if only my maths was better i might have got the internship )

Would be interesting to find out for sure though

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG
    Living up to expectation and being crap are too different things.
    True. Doesn't change anything though, as Perfect Dark Zero is crap and failed to live up to expectations.

What you describe Stewart is that if its not original don't release a game?
    I'm saying there was no point at all in releasing this game. Its tedious, dull, brings nothing new, does the 360 no favours, and is another bad mark on the Rare's record. The company that gave us Goldeneye has no place releasing this warmed up mush.

Every aspect of the game is below average. Play G.R.A.W and you'll see how it should be done. Rare games, when placed along side the other offerings should not be a distant 2nd. 3 of my friends had this game at launch, all 3 of them have since traded it, I'll be doing the same Friday.

Rare used to be a mark of quailty, now they are just another average company churning out average games for easily pleased gamers to play.

But no i don't think its poor.
    It is a very poor game, it is a pants game, it is bloody awful, and all the other negatives people have used to describe the game in this thread.

Everyone has an opinion, if you think a bog standard FPS game with a terrible story, seen-it-all-before level design, poor character models and a nice shiny coating of wax makes for a great game, then I'm sure you'll have hours of fun.

Most people wont, however.
    Last edited by Stewart; 22-03-2006 at 09:14 PM.

One Great Ordeal!
    Thanks
    I could not agree more, I tried to like the game but have since felt cheated of the money I paid for it. Halo 2 is how the fps should be, not some crappy story, glossy visuals and a mish mash of old gen with new gen. I didnt expect to like the game since i didnt care for the blocky n64 perfect dark so perhaps i should never have brought the game in the first place...

Banned
    Thanks
    Question to be asked - why can't Rare deliver the goods anymore?

They gave us Goldeneye, one of the very best FPS games of all, now they dissapoint. The magic has gone from this company. There was a time you didn't need to read reviews of Rare games - if it had the logo on it, you bought it, and you loved it. That was back in the days of the SNES and N64.

Their games used to have a little touch of magic that could compete even with first party Nintendo titles for playability and fun factor; Diddy Kong Racing was the equal of Mario Kart 64; Donkey Kong Country deserved a place in your SNES games collection every bit as much as Super Mario World.

Just not happening anymore.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    Question to be asked - why can't Rare deliver the goods anymore?

They gave us Goldeneye, one of the very best FPS games of all, now they dissapoint. The magic has gone from this company. There was a time you didn't need to read reviews of Rare games - if it had the logo on it, you bought it, and you loved it. That was back in the days of the SNES and N64.

Their games used to have a little touch of magic that could compete even with first party Nintendo titles for playability and fun factor; Diddy Kong Racing was the equal of Mario Kart 64; Donkey Kong Country deserved a place in your SNES games collection every bit as much as Super Mario World.

Just not happening anymore.
    Maybe its the 2 plus years nintendo allowed rare to finish every game. They had more time to polish the gameplay in days gone by...

Thanks
    The magic predates NES ... they've delivered top goods since JetPac!

But if they're having to spend less time on releasing games, then something may suffer for it

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item...em=4118&page=3

Hexus Gaming staff doesn't seem to agree?.

"Gorgeous graphics"

Sorry but this smacks of another one of your threads where negativity about something just overwhelms the thread.

And to quote you....

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    Those are the two strongest, after that, if you want some nice looking, slick, but same-old FPS action, Perfect Dark Zero is a good choice. Doesn't do anything different, but looks good while it isn't doing it, and its worth a play. Don't bother with the Limited Edition though, I've got it, and its just a bit of card with a hologram and a comic in a tin box.
    Sure people are complaining in this thread, but i'm fairly sure there are plenty of other people who are happy with PDZ.

As for rare, i still think Kameo is an awesome game, regardless of anything else said. I don't care whether they are owned by MS or not. But then its irrelevant for me, I buy games because of the game reviews, not because of which studio makes them.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information