Thread: TES3 - Oblivion issues (early spoilers)

Thanks
    • Enverex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H77n-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K with Scythe Shuriken
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 670 2GB OC Power Edition
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG11
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 42LW550T 42" TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity

Thumbs down TES3 - Oblivion issues (early spoilers)

I liked this game... to start with, but now it's become, well, I can't find a word for it other than "unplayable". I started off by starting the main quest as I came out the sewer at the start and a few of the little quests, so I was about level 4 or so when I reached the first Oblivion gate. I basically had to turn back because I couldn't do it, I'd just die far too easily regardless of what methods I used (I got into one of the towers and that was about it, took a LONG time to fight my way there). Anyway, at that point I gave up and went and did lots of mini-quests (easyish ones) and came back level 22 or so to carry on thinking I should be able to do it quite easily now... heh, yeah, sure. I managed to close the gate (I pretty much RAN like a bitch to do it, fighting really didn't work). This is where it gets fun. As I entered Kavatch city I was confronted by 2 Draemoras, 3 spider women, 4 of those blue demon looking people, a guy dressed in a black robe and one of those smaller looking dinosaur things (can't remember the name right now). I mean, I can barely fight ONE of these things on their own, at this point I knew the game was taking the piss. The guard captain guy I am with runs in, gets hit once by one of the Draemora (the big lizardy things) and flies clear across the screen (dead, or rather, "unconcious" as the game says). I mean, what the hell am I supposed to do? I can't kill one of these things fully buffed nevermind what could be classified as a damn army. This is where I got stuck at level 4 (because it had lots of enemies then, just lower level) so I came back higher level and all it does it replace them with equaly as impossible enemies to now suit my higher level.

I don't see any possible ways out of this, I managed to run through into the next part and again, a smililar invincible army (and those spider women have virtually perfect aim). Attacks from any of these things knocks off about 1/3 of my life, so as you can assume, even just running away at full speed (I have a speed of 89 or something now) still is damn near impossible.

How did anyone else do this? This has really killed the game for me, hell, can't even travel from town to town anymore, those bears and cat things hurt like hell and take 20 minutes to kill. It's like every single tiny fight in the game becomes an epic battle for your life.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    The game changes the monsters as you level up, higher the level tougher the creatures. I'm level 23 on it now and get the spider demons etc that you mentioned.

Easiest way to do it I have found is lure as few as possible towards you and kill the ones that manually attack you like the Dremora and Daedra Warriors. Don't let them surround you and concentrate on one enemy even though you may have 3 in front of you.

Make sure you have a good supply of repair hammers with you at all times to repair weapons and armour as the weapons degrade really quickly and do very little damage if health on them is below around 70.

Make sure you have a decent shield on it as that will absorb quite a bit of damage and go for single handed weapons. I was using the Escutcheon shield you get from doing the Mazooma the Orc quest at Leyawin and the Katana from the Blades for a good while.

Finally always keep spare swords etc in the quick inventory slots, if one sword is doing virtually no damage you will know it needs repairing. So during battle change to another sword to keep damage to maximum.

Other than that, literally make sure that you are blocking effectively and give yourself some space whilst fighting. Luring a few at a time always works on RPG's, just make sure you take out the warrior type creatures first and don't chase after spider demons. If you chase after them they will run towards more enemies and you end up in the situation you are in. Back them up against a wall or something like that and take them down before they can run off for reinforcements.

Thanks
    • Enverex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H77n-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG11
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 42LW550T 42" TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferral
    The game changes the monsters as you level up, higher the level tougher the creatures. I'm level 23 on it now and get the spider demons etc that you mentioned.

Easiest way to do it I have found is lure as few as possible towards you and kill the ones that manually attack you like the Dremora and Daedra Warriors. Don't let them surround you and concentrate on one enemy even though you may have 3 in front of you.

Make sure you have a good supply of repair hammers with you at all times to repair weapons and armour as the weapons degrade really quickly and do very little damage if health on them is below around 70.

Make sure you have a decent shield on it as that will absorb quite a bit of damage and go for single handed weapons. I was using the Escutcheon shield you get from doing the Mazooma the Orc quest at Leyawin and the Katana from the Blades for a good while.

Finally always keep spare swords etc in the quick inventory slots, if one sword is doing virtually no damage you will know it needs repairing. So during battle change to another sword to keep damage to maximum.

Other than that, literally make sure that you are blocking effectively and give yourself some space whilst fighting. Luring a few at a time always works on RPG's, just make sure you take out the warrior type creatures first and don't chase after spider demons. If you chase after them they will run towards more enemies and you end up in the situation you are in. Back them up against a wall or something like that and take them down before they can run off for reinforcements.
    Most of what you said is not possible, they ALL follow me immediately (as these places aren't exactly large) and the spider Women move at warp speed. Saying to not let them surround me is impossible. All these enemies are in like a 10x10ft space and charge at you the moment you come through the door. This isn't out in the open like around the Imperial city or something, this is in the Kavatch city ruins. I also seem to do virtually no damage to them, I hit and hit and hit and their life doesn't go down, maybe if I'm lucky after a few minutes the bar may shrink by a pixel (I'd be supprised if I managed to stay alive that long). Blocking has very little effect, when they hit maybe it takes off 1/4 or 1/5 of my health rather than 1/3, but I end up getting stunned anyway or when I try and attack it doesn't seem like they're blocking but then I get stunned anyway and I'm down from full health to nearly dead or dead in a second. I took a screenshot of the situation I'm in but can't find it at the moment, it's just rediculus.

Hell, the guy I'm supposed to be following (invincible) after less than a minute was naked. No weapon, no armour anywhere, no anything as he was bashed about that much.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Turn the difficulty slider down?

I found the default was way too hard for my particular character. Just taking it down a few notches makes the game a lot more fun if you level in different skills than they are expecting.

Thanks
    • Enverex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H77n-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG11
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 42LW550T 42" TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    Yeah, my skills are kinda very generalist rather than a specific thing (other than Alchemy that I mastered rather fast, heh). I'll try that then, see what happens. I hate doing things like that though as I feel like I'm cheating .

Thanks
    • Elessar_VPR's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Quad - Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4 Gb Corsair 6400
      • Storage:
      • 2.8Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI HD-6850
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A-10
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC MultiSync - 24WMGX3
    Levelling up non-combat skills can lead to trouble later on as the enemies are a lot tougher, but you can still be using a sword as effectively as a feather duster, yet be a master of being able to pick a lock!

As you say your decent at alchemy, you could try using reflect damage and shield potions (and/or spells). Else the difficulty slider maybe your best bet.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish
    Nah you're not cheating - the devs deliberately let us tweak the game to have the most fun. In a game like Elder Scrolls it's the playing during the game that's meant to be fun, not beating it and 'winning'.

Thanks
    Yeah when i first started playing oblivion I whacked the difficulty slider up to top (like i do in most games ) but found it virtually impossible so now am playing at default difficulty and if I run up against a load of boring enemys (lots of ghosts, goblins, trolls) i just turn down the difficulty for a while .

Thanks
    • Enverex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H77n-WiFi
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG11
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 42LW550T 42" TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity
    Alrighty, thanks guys, that fixed not being able to play the game, so I think I'll keep the slider at one quarter else I'll keep changing it and kill the immersion.

Ravens Nest
    SPOILER ALERT
    ------------------

I've done the game myself (Over 90 hours play) well except the mage guild missions..

I found the Oblivions gates the hardest and most boring
    (Actually the most boring main game i have ever played)

The side quests are where i had the most fun, the Dark brotherhood i found the most enjoyable and gave you the best goodies

And the shrines you find along the road give interesting quests and magic items at the end.

I did the Oblivion gates when i got to the last couple of missions in the main game, by that time i was level 35 and had the best Sword, Shield and Armour in the game, and loads of magic rings e.t.c.

So the gates were not too hard but you still need to avoid running into too many enemies at once, to be honest the Oblivion gates are sooo boring i run past the enemy to the main tower and grabbed the Sigil stone, only stopping to open any "The punished" flesh sacks on the way.

I didnt think this game was as good story-wise as Daggerfall or Morrowind but the graphics and control interface were much better.

Put it this way i did not play any other games or put any messages on to hexus forums until i completed it.

I personally never touched the difficulty slider

Thanks
    The Oblivion gates were too samey for me, considering there are 16 to close if you do them all, I got bored and did the main end quest after 7 to close the rest of them without having to go in and manually do it.

a major hint I would give to do them is build up your sneak and get a chameleon spell. very useful to avoid mobs.
    Recycling consultant

Ravens Nest
    Quote Originally Posted by mgh0
    The Oblivion gates were too samey for me, considering there are 16 to close if you do them all, I got bored and did the main end quest after 7 to close the rest of them without having to go in and manually do it.

a major hint I would give to do them is build up your sneak and get a chameleon spell. very useful to avoid mobs.
    I do get the feeling that bethesda like to make a game seem bigger by just adding a main mission with loads of very similiar quests and too much wandering around

i.e. Morrowind had a main mission where you had to unite the clans and that meant walking from one end of the map to the other finding the clans and then doing about 5 different missions each, and the missions all seemed very similar and you had to do them to get further in the main story.

A strong case of deja vue in the case of oblivion too, with the oblivion gates all looking the same but having to be closed to get further in the main story.

It seems to me it's like going out for a slap up meal and filling up with bread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Nest
    I do get the feeling that bethesda like to make a game seem bigger by just adding a main mission with loads of very similiar quests and too much wandering around

i.e. Morrowind had a main mission where you had to unite the clans and that meant walking from one end of the map to the other finding the clans and then doing about 5 different missions each, and the missions all seemed very similar and you had to do them to get further in the main story.

A strong case of deja vue in the case of oblivion too, with the oblivion gates all looking the same but having to be closed to get further in the main story.

It seems to me it's like going out for a slap up meal and filling up with bread
    You don't actually have to close all of the gates, there are half a dozen that are essential to the story but you can ignore obscure middle of no-where ones and concentrate just on the ones outside towns.

After 5 almost identical gates I just used chameleon and sneaked, you get spotted now and then but against one daedra you can usually fight clear quite easily.
    Recycling consultant

Ravens Nest
    Sorry i should have posted more clearly, your right i didnt have to close them all but i think i closed 8 just to make sure. and it was extremely boring..

Yes and Chameleon is a very useful skill, through out the game

Pseudo-Mad Scientist Whiternoise's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Whiternoise's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LANPARTY JR P45-T2RS
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 5.6TB Total
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4780
      • PSU:
      • 425W Modu82+ Enermax
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08b
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 23" IPS
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbps Fibre Line
    the problem i found (in my first game) was that a lot of decent loot comes from the gates.. so if you do most of the gates at level 8-10 ish, you can't go back and get the decent treasure when you are a higher level, the only ways (imo) to get round this are to either wait till you are at a high enough level or to leave them open and wait for the respawns (my fave , works quite well, just keep a couple open for exp and loot runs)

Thanks
    It all depends what character you are - I found it really difficult to begin with (thief character).

If you can find find something with a chameleon enchantment you're laughing, i have two chameleon rings with a total of 70% chameleon, and combined with >100 sneak you can just sneak past things.

And of course you get damage multipliers for sneak attacks if you really want to pick a fight

Thread Information