Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to buy xbox 360

Thanks

Reasons to buy xbox 360

I'm an avid pc gamer but are there any reasons for me to buy the xbox 360?

awm
    Thanks
    Games, if there are any games you wan but can't get for PC yes, if not no. When you think about it remember that its just a gateway to its games. Personally I'd just stick to the PC, but the xbox does have multiplayer built in.

Thanks
    • pr0p4g4nd4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG Strix B550 Mini ITX
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
      • Memory:
      • 2x32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
      • Storage:
      • 2TB+500GB M.2 NVME
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 1070 Mini
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF750
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Masterbox NR200P
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10, Arch Linux, macOS Catalina
      • Monitor(s):
      • 4x 27" LG 4K IPS
    Nothing that compelling thus far.

Thanks
    Whilst i cant give an exact reason would say i used to be a big PC gamer but since getting my 360 at launch only really use it for the net now and play on the 360 all the time instead .

Thanks
    Could be some good releases later in the year, but currently it looks rather lacklustre. I keep thinking about the 'non upgradeable platform' being a way of saving money.. then I look at the prices of the games and change my mind .

Thanks
    I've been considering buying a xbox 360.. but as you rightly say.. the games themselves will cost a small fortune (one would want at least 3 initially).

Furthermore.. I'm still kinda apprehensive to buy one in light of the PS3 and WII. The PS3 though costly.. would I want it even if I had a 360.. maybe the WII is cheaper, not as flash, but infinitely more fun? hehe.. I'm still pondering about the DS-Lite as well (having ignored the original DS purely on aesthetics).

As you can probably tell.. I'm as indecisive when it comes to mobile phones.. I'd always want whatever I didn't have

Thanks
    I've always been an avid PC gamer, since I first picked up my 75Mhz Packard Bell from PC World with the game Screamer, those were the days!

I've had many consoles, when I was using the Vic20, AMIGA, Super Nintendo etc were all great as I didn't know the difference between a PC and a fridge!
    However, once I got involved with PC's, it was definately the way to go.
    I did loads of gaming on PC, particularly online FPS games and ran online gaming clans for many years.

Until now!
    I picked up an XBOX360 on launch day, I was interested in everything I'd read about it so wanted to give it a try.
    Since then I've formatted my PC, installed Windows MCE and haven't installed any games, and don't intend to.
    The XBOX360 is simply everything I could want in terms of games.
    I got PGR3 on launch day and can't emphasis enough how stunning that game is. Once you get good at it, the races are just immense. Nothing beats the feeling of screaming around a corner of the Nurbergring, watching your backend flip out and almost lose control but you just about managed to keep it together and fly past two other guys screaming "noooo" down your headset.

Since then I've got a whole host of games which have been fantastic. Don't fall for the hype of 'killer apps'. These big consoles aren't just meant for a handful of game franchises.
    I've also managed to pick up every game I've bought for less than £39.99. Having paid for the games, I feel the need to play them properly too. Something I'd stopped doing for years on PC.

Games aside, I also like the 360 as a media extender. I stream all my music, pictures and videos from my PC wirelessly.
    XBOX Live is in my opinion the best online gaming platform to date. By a long way.
    I loved online gaming on the PC, but with all the cheaters, abuse, racism and everything else that comes with it, I'm happy to avoid it.

I'm going to be getting the Wii when it arrives, it looks like so much fun.

If you're thinking about getting an XBOX360, don't hesitate. Be confident in your purchase, dive in head first, and enjoy it from day 1! I did.

Thanks
    I've got an Xbox 360 and I've got to say that there are way too many Xbox 360 fanboys on the net hyping it up beyond what it is.

The range of games is quite limited and there's no real killer titles yet. The games that are available are mostly sequels and don't offer anything new beyond updated graphics. As the console matures, I would expect developers to start taking bigger risks and the potential for quirky and interesting games via the Xbox Live! marketplace is huge.

There are some good games available and I think the console has great potential, but if I was wise with my money (which I'm not ) I would wait until a few AAA titles appear.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron
    I've got an Xbox 360 and I've got to say that there are way too many Xbox 360 fanboys on the net hyping it up beyond what it is.

The range of games is quite limited and there's no real killer titles yet. The games that are available are mostly sequels and don't offer anything new beyond updated graphics. As the console matures, I would expect developers to start taking bigger risks and the potential for quirky and interesting games via the Xbox Live! marketplace is huge.

There are some good games available and I think the console has great potential, but if I was wise with my money (which I'm not ) I would wait until a few AAA titles appear.
    this is the kind of level-headed thinking the internet needs more of.

right now, the xbox 360, whilst undoubtedly a neat piece of technology, lacks any really "killer apps". for me, a killer app is a 10/10 game. you see perhaps 2 of them released a yeer on *all* platforms combined. until i see one, i don't think the 360's ticket price (and especially the price of games) is warranted.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+
    I'm waiting until someone hacks it and does a full port of mplayer - like on the orignal xbox. Games are OK, but the real killer app for me was the ability to have it stream from a NAS box. Being able to do that with hi-def would be awesome.

Tom

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    this is the kind of level-headed thinking the internet needs more of.

right now, the xbox 360, whilst undoubtedly a neat piece of technology, lacks any really "killer apps". for me, a killer app is a 10/10 game. you see perhaps 2 of them released a yeer on *all* platforms combined. until i see one, i don't think the 360's ticket price (and especially the price of games) is warranted.
    I think I'd have to disagree. But that's good, it'll make this thread interesting

If a killer app tends to only appear twice a year on all platforms, does that mean only those two games are worth getting along with the platforms they're released on?
    I personally think that 'Killer Apps' have taken the fun out of gaming. We do get some stunning games from time to time, but that doesn't mean they're as fun as the lesser games.
    I have a handful of 360 games, and here's how I'd rate them:
    PGR3 - 10/10, I totally adore this game. It's so so much fun to play. I race regularly with a bunch of friends online and we always have a riot. Took me about 5 months to complete the single player on Hardcore, total feeling of satisfaction.

GRAW - 7/10, single player was awesome - although bloody difficult! Multiplayer is lacking. Probably the best looking 360 game I have, but not the most fun.

Top Spin 2 - 8/10, as far as a tennis game goes, it's just another one. It looks nicer of course, but that doesn't compare to the playability. Online play is just awesome. Wether you're playing singles, doubles, it's just so much fun. I had a doubles match with my brother in law against two people in the states and it went right to the end of the last set, was superb. We just lost at the end but it was such a great match our opponents even went and posted on my blog

DoA4 - 4/10, game looks great, sounds great, plays really well. But I'm absolutley rubbish at it. I've got the achievement for '10 straight losses on DoA online'. Now what fun is a game where you constantly get your butt kicked?

Kameo - 8/10, if you like platform games, this ones awesome. Only downside is that my sister won't let me play it unless she's there. She doesn't want to miss any of the story. She made me promise.

FIFA World Cup 2006 - 6/10, as EA games go, it ships with half a dozen bugs. I was aware of that when I bought the game, but who can resist having a few matches with friends after watching live World Cup games?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an XBOX fanboy. I bought the original XBOX and gave it to my brother for free cause I thought it was rubbish.
    However I really do like the 360 and it has a lot to offer, for me anyhow.

Flying prans are the flalalum Veles's Avatar
    Thanks
    The only worthwhile games on the 360 ATM are available (or will be available) on a PC, nothing really looks compelling. I think the only games really worth getting are the Live arcade ones.

I'd wait untill some great games come out like gears of war, also they're dropping down the CPU die size down a notch, this might not mean a rpice drop (it hopefully will), but at least the system should run a little cooler, and quieter.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by Parm
    I think I'd have to disagree. But that's good, it'll make this thread interesting

If a killer app tends to only appear twice a year on all platforms, does that mean only those two games are worth getting along with the platforms they're released on?
    I personally think that 'Killer Apps' have taken the fun out of gaming. We do get some stunning games from time to time, but that doesn't mean they're as fun as the lesser games.
    some us have limited time, and limited funds - and the market is awash with games. when you have to make a decision, are you gonna go with the 6/10 game or the 10/10 game?

Thanks
    The only reason im tempted to buy a console is for some decent beat-em ups.

Really would love something like Fight Night on the PC but its never going to happen I mean we struggle to get anything like that no idea y. I know its supposedly because PC games "wouldnt go for it". but in the days of 99% of the Uk having a pc is that really a valid argument. I mean we didnt get street fighter 2 for years after the consoles - sigh well the brain is going to have to win hear and im not going to buy a console jsut to beat some sprites up. In short order bar the odd decent game that will probably get ported sooner or later if its any good, unless u cant afford a pc or just really dont like em theres no compelling reason to get a 360
    Last edited by zulander; 07-06-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by zulander
    The only reason im tempted to buy a console is for some decent beat-em ups.

Really would love something like Fight Night on the PC but its never going to happen I mean we struggle to get anything like that no idea y. I know its supposedly because PC games "wouldnt go for it". but in the days of 99% of the Uk having a pc is that really a valid argument
    controller issues. and the pc market not being particularly easy to get successes in

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    some us have limited time, and limited funds - and the market is awash with games. when you have to make a decision, are you gonna go with the 6/10 game or the 10/10 game?
    I'd go for the one thats more fun.

A lot of people are talking about Gears of War, but it doesn't have much appeal to me. Running around chainsawing people's heads off isn't one of my favourite pastimes.
    But Viva Pinata, that looks fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information