Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS3 Joypad....last minute attempt to copy Wii?

Registered+
    Thanks

PS3 Joypad....last minute attempt to copy Wii?

From MCV

Sony’s ill-received boomerang PS3 controller has been consigned to the history books, and in its place has emerged a remake of the familiar Dualshock with integrated motion sensing technology.
    As well as being wireless and sporting two triggers where the L2 and R2 buttons used to sit, integrated six-axis movement sensing will allow gamers to control the action by simply moving their pads.

The tilting angle of the joysticks has also been increased, and the pad now boasts a central button sporting a PlayStation logo, which is presumed will access menu functions on the final console.

However, in the process of being upgraded the Dualshock has lost its vibrating function, with Sony claiming that the feature clashed with the new motion sensing technology.
    Now with motion sensing too, but only one game on the cards to support it (Warhawk). You just can't help thinking Nintendo are the real gaming innovators. The analog joypad of the N64 and now the motion sensing of the Wii, all copied. Shame they couldn't get the vibration function to work with it too, I guess the last minute addition has caught them out. This leaves me thinking whether they will release another version shortly after with the rumble feature and charge customers for the priviledge.

I actually preffered the look of the initial boomerang style joypad they showed, but I guess the DualShock format works very well.

Thanks
    • pr0p4g4nd4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG Strix B550 Mini ITX
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
      • Memory:
      • 2x32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
      • Storage:
      • 2TB+500GB M.2 NVME
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 1070 Mini
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF750
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Masterbox NR200P
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10, Arch Linux, macOS Catalina
      • Monitor(s):
      • 4x 27" LG 4K IPS
    Pfft... gimmie a PC with a keyboard, mouse, hacked xbox controller & steering wheel anyday

EDIT: I thought the boomerang controller was ace! Looks like the PS3 and/or Sony are gonna flop like a jellyfish on a wet matress!
    Last edited by pr0p4g4nd4; 29-05-2006 at 01:55 AM.

Thanks
    However, in the process of being upgraded the Dualshock has lost its vibrating function, with Sony claiming that the feature clashed with the new motion sensing technology.
    Or clashed with the law.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Caged
    Or clashed with the law.
    Im with you on this one
    Although, it could be hell trying to track a controler thats vibrating
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    To be honest Nintendo must be doing something right, I've never owned a console and I'm going to buy a Wii on launch despite having never touched one. Nothing on the PS3 appeals at the moment.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent
    Im with you on this one
    Although, it could be hell trying to track a controler thats vibrating
    Nintendo's Wii controller has both vibrating and motion sensing, and preliminary specs show that Nintendo's motion sensing is much more advanced and accurate than Sony's. The Wii can pin point pixels on the screen, whereas the PS3 can only sense.

Thanks
    The vibration was never particulary good to be honest, I'm glad they've 'done away with it', it was something I always turned off. Having said that the Playstation joypads have always been my favourite controllers, I find thme more comfy than any other.

I don't think the PS3 controller technology is anything like the Wii's personnally. Here's a quote I found elsewhere explaining the difference:

The Nintendo Wii uses motion tracking technology. Basically, the Wii comes with two sensors that you place on either side of your console. The Wii controller has a beacon in it that allows these sensors to track the movement of the controller in real-time, 4D space. So if you swing the controller like a bat, the baseball player on screen swings.

Conversely, the Playstation 3 uses rotation control. So that means the PS3 won't come with any sensors--it'll just have the controller. However, the controller contains a gyroscopic sensor which measures rotation and movement (and as they pointed out in the presentation, it tracks the X/Y/Z axes, as well as pitch, yaw, and lateral movement). That data is then sent wirelessly to the PS3 console which then effects the gameplay.
    I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it sounds about right.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhindi_Bhajji
    The vibration was never particulary good to be honest, I'm glad they've 'done away with it', it was something I always turned off. Having said that the Playstation joypads have always been my favourite controllers, I find thme more comfy than any other.

I don't think the PS3 controller technology is anything like the Wii's personnally. Here's a quote I found elsewhere explaining the difference:

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it sounds about right.
    I actually quite like the rumble feature, especially in driving games coz it really gives that extra bit of umpph.

As for the difference in technology, yes you're spot on, hence why I said the Wii's is much more accurate and advanced.

Thanks
    I'm with pr0p4g4nd4 on this one too, the boomerang controller looked quite interesting!

The new revision of the dual shock just doesn't interest me at all. I liked the old dual shock back in the day, but I don't find it half as comfortable as the new 360 controller.

The Wii controller on the other hand is something completely different.

If I had to compare controllers, I'd compare the PS3 Dual Shock, the 360 Controller and the Wii Classic Controller.
    I wouldn't compare any of those with the Wii remote, that's just something else. In a whole new league.

Thanks
    gah, why do people say sony copied nintendo, IIRC nintendo copied the idea off a controller that M$ made for the PC! (might not have been M$ that made the controller, tho, dont remember)

Thanks
    I think saying 'Sony copied Wii' is slightly out of context, the technology isn't a first and has been done before.

I think what people are trying to portray is that 'Sony were inclined to add motion sensing to their controller in an attempt to counter Nintendo Wii's features'. That statement may be more realistic.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMagnus
    gah, why do people say sony copied nintendo, IIRC nintendo copied the idea off a controller that M$ made for the PC! (might not have been M$ that made the controller, tho, dont remember)
    the microsoft sidewinder precision pro is what you're thinking of

what you're confusing, however, is technology versus process.

microsoft's gamepad crashed & burned because it had between 0 and -1 support with the software.

sony's pad (which is VERY similar to the sidewinder) is headed the same way - only one game at E3 supporting it, whose developers had been given 10 days' warning - whilst other big-name developers hadn't even been told that rumble had been dropped from the pad. there has been zero communication with developers, which means that sony's pad is going to end up exclusively as a wireless dual shock with no shock.

the wii wand has got developers excited - random third parties are all eager to experiment, and have already done so. a five minute video *already* shows the impetus behind the wand, compared to a single crappy flight game, which was all sony could scrape together

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMagnus
    Nintendo's Wii remote is using different technology to the MS Sidewinder, so it's difficult to argue your point. I understand what you mean, but Son'y attempt to recreate the MS Sidewinder's functionality to compete with Nintendo's Wii remote is what's questionable.

Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    the microsoft sidewinder precision pro is what you're thinking of

what you're confusing, however, is technology versus process.

microsoft's gamepad crashed & burned because it had between 0 and -1 support with the software.

sony's pad (which is VERY similar to the sidewinder) is headed the same way - only one game at E3 supporting it, whose developers had been given 10 days' warning - whilst other big-name developers hadn't even been told that rumble had been dropped from the pad. there has been zero communication with developers, which means that sony's pad is going to end up exclusively as a wireless dual shock with no shock.

the wii wand has got developers excited - random third parties are all eager to experiment, and have already done so. a five minute video *already* shows the impetus behind the wand, compared to a single crappy flight game, which was all sony could scrape together
    Spot on!

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Norky
    Watch the bloke moving the pad, but keep the ship in the corner of your eye - is it just me or is there a bit of lag between him moving it and the gaming reacting ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent
    Watch the bloke moving the pad, but keep the ship in the corner of your eye - is it just me or is there a bit of lag between him moving it and the gaming reacting ?
    I thought so, it looked more like he wasn't actually controlling it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information