Thread: Atari to take advantage of rip of Europe.

Thanks

Atari to take advantage of rip of Europe.

For those who don't know Atari recently announced the pricing for forthcoming 360 title Test Drive Unlimited. (it's also going to be on the PC) The US 360 SRP is going to be a fantastic deal at $39.99 that's equivalent to £21.44 at current exchange rates. That may sound good but there is a catch, many of the better cars and new features will be released as paid for DLC packs so to get the lot you could be easily spending another $30-50 in Microsoft points taking it up to the normal SRP of a US 360 game. I think most people could live with that just getting the cars they really want but here is the kick in the teeth from Atari's CEO Bruno Bonnell the UK SRP for the game is to be £49.99 or 233% of the US price and €69.99 in the Euro zone (223% of the US price) and let's not forget we will still have the DLC packs to buy! In his interview he states that "Test Drive is now our key franchise" well I don't expect it to sell well over here when this news breaks combined with his lovely statement guaranteed to smooth the waters over “The US is much more advanced than Europe so we believe the time is right to introduce a lower price point." As of yet Atari UK's head of PR Lee Kirton has refused to comment on the announcement.

Thanks
    The demo was poor anyway and the test drive games have always been pretty crap, so it wont take much effort to stay well clear.

Thanks
    You have to remember the demo was made several months ago and the game still hasn't gone gold. There was talk of a 2nd demo to show the improvments.

Thanks
    • XA04's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x 8gb DDR 4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Serpent M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit RTX 2060
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Fractcal Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama 34" Curved UWQHD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb Fibre
    Source?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBuZZard
    The demo was poor anyway and the test drive games have always been pretty crap, so it wont take much effort to stay well clear.
    You obviously havent played it then... the demo admittedly wasn't brilliant but it was enough to make me preorder. And tbh to beat the constant cost of X360 stuff just get the PC version like I have (I preordered both but :S). The game is truly revolutionary and I think Atari have every right to charge high amounts (coupled with Atari's financial position), but yes I admit I am fed up of rip off Britain... VAT for a start is far too high which doesn't help. We should just grow to accept it...
    Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400Mhzx8) 1.52V (set in bios, 1.47v real) | 4GB GeIL PC6400 4-4-4-12 | Gigabyte DQ6 @ 1600Mhz | HD2900XT 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 720W | Silverstone TJ07-B with custom watercooling | BenQ FP241WZ
    3dmark05 - 13140 | 3dmark06 - 6698 | SuperPi 1M - 15s

Dark side super agent
    Thanks
    Didn't think too much of the demo. It just didn't impress me at all. BTW can you not order from the US? The 360 is region free is it not?
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XA04
    Source?
    An interview given by Bruno Brunell to MCV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube
    Didn't think too much of the demo. It just didn't impress me at all. BTW can you not order from the US? The 360 is region free is it not?
    No it isn't quite a few games were launched without a region lock on them (PlayAsia is normaly a good place to look for whats locked and what isn't) but more and more are now comming locked to a region and with the UK price being more than double the US price I can't see Atari leting people import.

Thanks
    It's definately a big talking point but surely Atari are just digging their own hole on this one.

Although they have said it will happen, I still can't see it actually happening.
    If they do sell the game here in the UK for twice the price I certainly won't be in a hurry to get it.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks
    That's a total scam then. Fair enough if the game was a few pounds cheaper. C'est la vie. But twice the price is something different all together. If the game has improved enough to make me want to buy it then I'll be getting it only when the price is under £30.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ExceededGoku
    You obviously havent played it then...

Obviously I have.. its gash. Car handled like crap, very dull, the race system was annoying, no redeming features at all, even the graphics were bad.

Thanks
    The cars handle like they do in real life, well on the pre-release version anyway. I would definitely suggest that you rent the game out before making further judgement (once its released of course ). Race system is alright... Graphics are VASTLY improved from the demo trsut me! I played it on my monitor at 720p and I played it at Atari either 720p or 1080i (not sure which) but all I know is that the graphics look amazing, I can't wait to see the PC version (AA + AF!!!!) . Seriously you wouldn't believe how different this game is to the demo, there is soo much scope to the game aswell. Just give it a go mate!!
    Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz (400Mhzx8) 1.52V (set in bios, 1.47v real) | 4GB GeIL PC6400 4-4-4-12 | Gigabyte DQ6 @ 1600Mhz | HD2900XT 1GB | Enermax Infiniti 720W | Silverstone TJ07-B with custom watercooling | BenQ FP241WZ
    3dmark05 - 13140 | 3dmark06 - 6698 | SuperPi 1M - 15s

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBuZZard
    Obviously I have.. its gash. Car handled like crap, very dull, the race system was annoying, no redeming features at all, even the graphics were bad.
    Agreed. The demo was discraceful. Shocking graphics/physics/framerate, abysmal handalling and crucially, it was mind numbingly boring to play. Yes its a demo and in the full version there will no doubt be hundreds of cars, that judging by the demo will handle nothing like their real life counterparts, loads of garages and hundreds of miles of Oahu highway to be bored on...

Test drive games have always been utter tripe and i cant believe i thought this would be any different.

Thread Information