Thread: Broken Sword 4

Registered+
    Thanks

Broken Sword 4

Hi all,
    New to the site and after leaving the computer scene for around 1-2years im back!

Ok so i've never really been into gaming on the PC, more a console man but lately i've just been more interested in the computer. So i went and got Broken Sword 4 (i love the entire series) and installed. However it wont play now and i've got a feeling this is because it says "Minimum Requirements - 128 MB Shader model 1.1 compatible video card" and im using a 64mb Geforce4 MX440 so im presuming this is the problem.

Can you lot enforce this belief as i remember reading up somewhere that someone ran Broken Sword 4 on thier laptop with only 64mb onboard Graphics? The rest of my system is P4 2.6Ghz w/ 512mb RAM.

If it is the card what would you recommend? I really dont want to blow more than £25 so secondhand seems the way. Im not expecting an amazing card for that price but im not really fully into gaming, I just want something that will play games and furthur down the line, if i get more into it, i'll purchuse something better. I found a Hercules 9600 256mb on ebay for £25 but thanks to this site, i read the review and deleted it from my favorites.

Info would be great and to mods, i wasnt sure where to place this so please move if nesscary.

Thanks everyone

Thanks
    You budget seems tight but if you can stretch it slightly I'd probably look for secondhand 6600GT if I were you. It's a good performer, support sm3 so you can play most games even most recently released titles. If you look carefully I think you can get one pretty cheap at ebay.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Ahh too late, got a brand new 9700 for £23. Will overclock to get 9700Pro speeds. Should be ok, shouldnt it?

lol Just ran 3DMark2001 SE with a score of 5500odd (cant remember exactly). Lets hope it improves with the new card!
    Last edited by yoclick; 05-10-2006 at 05:52 PM.

Thanks
    Don't know much about that card to be honest, but I guess it's ok for the price. BTW, I have this game for a while now but I'm stuck at New York hotel for a long time. I must say I've lost all my confidence in my level of intelligence

Registered+
    Thanks
    Well, untill the card arrives i cant play it! I am playing Broken Sword 3 now though. Seems fairly good so far but a tiny bit easy. I remember in Broken Sword 1, the bit when you have to go past the toll area thing near the start. And that takes ages to figure it out with starting fires, stealing dog food and all sorts lol.

Large Member
    Thanks
    The docks? That was broken Sword 2

Quote Originally Posted by yoclick View Post
    remember in Broken Sword 1, the bit when you have to go past the toll area thing near the start. And that takes ages to figure it out with starting fires, stealing dog food and all sorts lol.
    Completed no 4, have to say some of the puzzles were bloody hard, and the ending was well, ****, quite frankly.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    You will notice a fair bit of difference using a 9700 over the old 440 MX card. However by todays standards it will struggle on some of the newer titles out there which is not good if you are getting into PC gaming again.

Personally after you have the 9700 in your system I would save up and get another 512 Mb of ram initially taking you up to 1 Gb total and also get the mentioned 6600GT card (Get the XFX brand if you can as it has higher clock and memory speeds). You could possibly even pick up the XFX 7600 GT for a fair price now so you will be pretty much up to date on the VGA card. This should set you up nicely for some of the newer titles like F.E.A.R and Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

My system is running Just Cause in 1024 x 768 all details set to medium and high without a flicker and I know I need to do an upgrade soon !

Thanks
    Well I think you'll love this game then, because I have no clue what to do next and I'm still at the very beginning of the game. I played all Nancy Drew series, but this is the toughest puzzler I've ever played

Registered+
    Thanks
    Woo love broken sword. Been playing 3 still and its getting slightly more and more difficult. I've just collected the Alpha Stone. The thing i enjoy the most is that if you "die" you can re-try that scene on the instant. Unlike Final Fantasy where you spend an hour leading up to a fight, die and have to re-do that hour again lol.

yamangman - What happened in number again? Like what was the first thing you had to do? Was it the clown one? Been a long time since i played 1 + 2!

Thread Information