Thread: Interesting critique on EA

Banned
    Thanks

Interesting critique on EA

wiki source:

EA is often criticized for buying smaller development studios primarily for their intellectual property assets, and then making the developers produce run-of-the-mill games on these same franchises. For example, Origin-produced Ultima VIII: Pagan and Ultima IX: Ascension were developed quickly under EA's ownership, and these two are considered by many as not up to the standard of the rest of the series, being aimed at lowest common denominator audience. Productions from EA owned studios as of late have generally not been known for their originality.[citation needed]

EA is also criticized for shutting down its acquired studios after a poorly performing game. Many see EA's control and direction as being primarily responsible for the game's failure rather than the studio. Magic Carpet 2 was rushed to completion over the objections of designer Peter Molyneux and it shipped during the holiday season with several major bugs. Studios such as Origin, Westwood Studios, and Bullfrog had previously produced games attracting a significant fanbase, and when they were closed down many top designers and programmers refused to stay with EA and formed rival studios. EA has also received harsh fire from labour groups for their dismissals of large groups of employees during the closure of a studio (see below). Such was the case with the game GoldenEye: Rogue Agent.

EA is also notorious for the practice of rushing out products, setting extremely short deadlines and emphasizing good graphics to compensate for the lack of gameplay aspects originally intended by many developers, not implemented due to lack of time.

After releasing many semi-finished products, the lack of support is notable in many games, assured by the fact that EA declared openly that they would no longer support relatively new but still buggy titles, like Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Underground I and some of the latest Command and Conquer games.

Electronic Arts announced it would not support the Sega Dreamcast unless it sold 1 million units. When this happened within a record 90 days, EA went back on their word and declined to support the Dreamcast in favour of Sony's PlayStation 2.

EA has also been criticized for other aggressive business methods like the acquisition of 19.9 percent of shares of their competitor Ubisoft in what was called a "hostile act" by Ubisoft CEO, Yves Guillemot.[3]

[edit] Employment policy
    Electronic Arts has from time to time been criticized for its employment policy of requiring employees to work extraordinarily long hours—up to 80 hours per week—as a general rule and not just at "crunch" times leading up to the scheduled releases of products. "The current mandatory hours are 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.—seven days a week—with the occasional Saturday evening off for good behaviour (at 6:30 p.m.)"[4]. The company has since settled a class action lawsuit brought by game artists to compensate for "unpaid overtime" EA management demanded of its employees[5]. The class was awarded $15.6 million. As a result, many of the lower-level artists are now working at an hourly rate. A similar suit brought by programmers was settled for $14.9 million. [6]

[edit] Exclusive licenses
    Some think Electronic Arts' sports licenses are threatening the game market. After Sega's ESPN NFL 2K5 successfully grabbed market share away from EA's dominant Madden NFL series during the 2004 holiday season, EA responded by making several large sports licensing deals which include an exclusive agreement with the NFL, and in January 2005, a 15-year deal with ESPN. The ESPN deal gives EA exclusive first rights to all ESPN content for sports simulation games. On April 11, 2005, EA announced a similar, 6-year licensing deal with the Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) for exclusive rights to college football content. Critics believe that the reduced competition is likely to result in fewer improvements for subsequent versions than would otherwise occur.

Electronic Arts was also subject to much criticism after releasing the title NASCAR SimRacing, an anticipated auto racing simulation. Upon its release, it was found to be extremely buggy, with numerous software issues requiring a patch. After substantial delay, a patch was released, but it did not resolve issues in multiplayer that essentially prevented competitive online racing. There is no indication that EA plans to release further fixes, as the last patch was released over 6 months ago. This was particularly aggravating to players because EA held the exclusive license to all NASCAR games, and the lack of competition gave EA little incentive to update the game, however some of the members in the sim community are beta testers for EA and painted their own cars and put them up for download as updates to the game to reflect the current Nascar Nextel Cup season.

Electronic Arts also has the license to the Lord of The Rings series and has thus been slow in responding to criticism of both of their RTS games in the series (Battle for Middle Earth I/II), including little to no multiplayer support, which proves to be bugged.

[edit] Online strategy
    Many EA Sports games for the PC and PS2 are only supported by EA's servers for one year, forcing gamers to buy the next increment in the series (at full price) to continue playing online afterwards.

EA was criticized for refusing to publish for the highly-touted Xbox Live online service, which is run through Microsoft's own servers and which charges a yearly flat fee, regardless of the number of titles. EA would not be able to retain use of its own servers for Xbox games and thus could not charge a monthly fee for every game as they could on the PS2. Unlike the PC and PS2 versions, EA would not have been able to discontinue support for last year's title on Live, reducing potential sales of their current title. EA capitulated in 2004 and started publishing for Xbox Live, under the condition that Microsoft dropped their sports range.

Despite having finally released games for Xbox Live, for which there is no charge to play specific games, EA releases them all on the condition that Microsoft allow the games connect to the EA servers in order to play them online. EA online games for the Xbox generally suffer from more glitches and delays. Many users in Europe have complained about the performance of EA's servers, particularly on the game Burnout 3, questioning the logic of providing a central service only to decentralize servers for certain titles.

In August 2006, EA shut down the servers supporting many games they had released in 2005, effectively disabling those games' multiplayer support. This move was an attempt to force users to upgrade to the latest iterations of their games. [7]

The Battlefield 2 online demo was roundly condemned by the gaming community since EA instituted a 10–15 time play time limit (unheard of at the time) and shut down servers who ran mods on the demo version. EA in general has discouraged fan-made patches and mods, and they have shut down popular fan-made game modifications, resulting in criticism that they could transform the gaming industry into one that is hostile towards fan modifications.

EA later came under criticism by the Battlefield 2 community after the release of the add-on pack, Special Forces. It contains new unlockable weapons which can then be used in the original BF2 game. These weapons are only available to players who have played Special Forces, generally meaning that players have to buy the Special Forces add-on to access them. Some sections of the community viewed this as EA charging players to gain an advantage in Battlefield 2. It has also been criticized for its general failure to properly test and patch the game to a stable version, as well as making changes to gameplay when most gamers simply want stability and fixing of existing bugs and exploits.

EA was in hot water over the alleged use of tracking cookies and scanning surfing habits via Battlefield 2142. EA later released an explanatory note detailing exactly what was tracked, revealing that data was only collected ingame and was utilized in the targeting of ingame ads. IGA Worldwide CEO Justin Townsend was also interviewed by Gamasutra about the controversy [8].

can you say assholes?

Another point is that BF2142 is almost $20 more than the US. The most detestable publisher/leech ever?
    Last edited by AlCapacino; 28-10-2006 at 04:29 PM. Reason: edited

Large Member
    Thanks
    Lot of conjecture and uncited nonsense there too.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yamangman View Post
    Where? Seems fine to me. I can't see anything wrong with what has been written.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Banned
    Thanks
    Based on fact though... it's hardly made up.

Enough news articles etc to back this.

Large Member
    Thanks
    Like...

....but still buggy titles, like Need for Speed: Most Wanted....

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 850 Pro + 3TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    Most of that is out of date, contrived or just plain fiction. It also completely ignores facts to further incriminate EA. Their employment practices are despicable, but they've long since been addressed and apparently rectified. Business practices, well business is business, and nice guys finish last,. doesn't make it right, just makes it business.

EA in general has discouraged fan-made patches and mods
    EA openly encourages modding of the BF series, BF2142 now has an incorporated mod system and the in-game ticker is used to advertise popular ones.

EA later came under criticism by the Battlefield 2 community after the release of the add-on pack, Special Forces
    I never saw any criticism of that until you posted something about it the other week. Nor any criticism for the other 2 add-ons. most people were chuffed to get extra content.

EA was in hot water over the alleged use of tracking cookies and scanning surfing habits via Battlefield 2142. EA later released an explanatory note detailing exactly what was tracked, revealing that data was only collected ingame and was utilized in the targeting of ingame ads. IGA Worldwide CEO Justin Townsend was also interviewed by Gamasutra about the controversy
    What a shock completely forgot to mention the fact there were NO tracking cookies or browser scanning and tries to turn the IGA into something evil. If you actually bothered to play the game before going off on a tirade about it you would know it's harmless and currently features military style motivational posters, not a single ad yet.

Another point is that BF2142 is almost $20 more than the US. The most detestable publisher/leech ever?
    Thats called VAT, not to mention the fact that everything else costs more here than America because we have a stronger economy.

And please for the love of god post your own stuff rather than copy-pasting from someone with more brains and less of a life than you.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckskull View Post
    Most of that is out of date, contrived or just plain fiction. It also completely ignores facts to further incriminate EA. Their employment practices are despicable, but they've long since been addressed and apparently rectified. Business practices, well business is business, and nice guys finish last,. doesn't make it right, just makes it business.

EA openly encourages modding of the BF series, BF2142 now has an incorporated mod system and the in-game ticker is used to advertise popular ones.

I never saw any criticism of that until you posted something about it the other week. Nor any criticism for the other 2 add-ons. most people were chuffed to get extra content.

What a shock completely forgot to mention the fact there were NO tracking cookies or browser scanning and tries to turn the IGA into something evil. If you actually bothered to play the game before going off on a tirade about it you would know it's harmless and currently features military style motivational posters, not a single ad yet.

Thats called VAT, not to mention the fact that everything else costs more here than America because we have a stronger economy.

And please for the love of god post your own stuff rather than copy-pasting from someone with more brains and less of a life than you.
    lolerz, that's open fact and the US averages higher tax across its 50 states, labour costs are higher, transport is actually more expensive despite lower fuel costs (due to longer distances) and your point is?

Look I know the deal and I am up to date and maybe some of those details may have changed now. But you seem to have the inclination to overlook the fact that these events ever happened because you know they did, rectified or not it doesn't matter- it happened!

Trying to belittle me when what I posted is fact is just pointless. Track record says a lot about a company and that's that- past or present it speaks for itself so maybe you should exit from denial mode.
    Last edited by AlCapacino; 28-10-2006 at 06:20 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    I hope you don't mind if I change that to "false economy"

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    Quote Originally Posted by AlCapacino View Post
    lolerz, that's open fact and the US averages higher tax across its 50 states, labour costs are higher, transport is actually more expensive despite lower fuel costs and your point is?
    The US has considerably cheaper retail prices than the UK. This is a proven and well documented fact. That is my point, do i need to explain it any further? or would I be belittling you again?

Look I know the deal and I am up to date and maybe some of those details may have changed now. But you seem to have the inclination to overlook the fact that these events ever happened because you know they did, rectified or not it doesn't matter- it happened!
    If you 'know the deal', then why is your post structured in such a way to grossly misrepresent the facts and twist EA into looking worse than they are?

Trying to belittle me when what I posted is fact is just pointless. Track record says a lot about a company and that's that- past or present it speaks for itself so maybe you should exit from denial mode.
    Thats not fact, it's mainly speculation, with a dash of opinion and a few carefully chosen and manipulated facts.

What do i have to deny? I opened my post by agreeing with a some of what you said, but because I don't blindly believe everything posted and forwarded around the web, I'm in denial?

At least I am judging each fact and act on it's own merits without prejudice one way or another, and not participating in a childish campaign to prove a faceless company is out to screw us by selling sub-standard products that we don't need, nor affect our lives in any serious way. This is entertainment, not food and water. Everyone makes a conscious choice to buy it or not.

Banned
    Thanks
    The US has considerably cheaper retail prices than the UK. This is a proven and well documented fact. That is my point, do i need to explain it any further? or would I be belittling you again?
    There has been a lot more scaling of prices in recent times that's my point... but I guess other people are also being belittled too then...

If you 'know the deal', then why is your post structured in such a way to grossly misrepresent the facts and twist EA into looking worse than they are?
    Because it proves what kind of a company you are buying product from at least from recent history if not current fact. With your reasoning, 9-11 would be misrepresented too.

Thats not fact, it's mainly speculation, with a dash of opinion and a few carefully chosen and manipulated facts.
    So what has already happened becomes speculation? You lost me there... and can you be specific on what has been manipulated because I don't see it.

What do i have to deny? I opened my post by agreeing with a some of what you said, but because I don't blindly believe everything posted and forwarded around the web, I'm in denial?

At least I am judging each fact and act on it's own merits without prejudice one way or another, and not participating in a childish campaign to prove a faceless company is out to screw us by selling sub-standard products that we don't need, nor affect our lives in any serious way. This is entertainment, not food and water. Everyone makes a conscious choice to buy it or not.
    I don't take everything I read on the net as gospel and I know wiki is private user input for the best part. However, I know none of it is false. I realise you might agree with some points, but for the ones you don't agree with, you said because of the current situation not being that. Not what I was looking at.

Large Member
    Thanks
    Based on fact though... it's hardly made up.

Enough news articles etc to back this.
    Well excuse me, I didn't say it was 'made up', I said conjecture and uncited nonsense. Based on fact - well that's fantastic! Where are the citations? Where are the reputable sources? Nowhere.

Where is the thin bile and opinion? Everywhere.

Banned
    Thanks
    Well excuse me, I didn't say it was 'made up', I said conjecture and uncited nonsense. Based on fact - well that's fantastic! Where are the citations? Where are the reputable sources? Nowhere.

Where is the thin bile and opinion? Everywhere.
    a lot of hearsay turns into news...first hand user experience in the community is normally a useful indicator
    Last edited by AlCapacino; 28-10-2006 at 06:50 PM.

Large Member
    Thanks
    a lot of hearsay turns into news...first hand user experience in the community is normally a useful indicator
    To be frank I find a great deal of 'community' experience complete and utter rubbish, arseholes and elbows spring to mind, nor does any entity that represents 'news' inspire an enourmous amount in me either.

Thanks
    • chuckskull's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • 3570k @ 4.7 - H100i
      • Memory:
      • 32GB XMS3 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 700W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC
    Because it proves what kind of a company you are buying product from at least from recent history if not current fact. With your reasoning, 9-11 would be misrepresented too.
    So lying is ok if it helps you further your agenda?

I'm not even going to justify the comparison to mass murder with an answer.

So what has already happened becomes speculation? You lost me there... and can you be specific on what has been manipulated because I don't see it.
    A small amount of convenient facts were chosen and speculation and conjecture built around them. My first post was all about this.

However, I know none of it is false.
    Read my first post again, there are quite a few fallacies in this write up, and those were just cherry picked ones, I'm sure i could find more if I had as much spare time as the person who wrote it

Thanks
    • unreal's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel iMac 20" & Macbook
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR667
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 7200 Int + 1.5Tb Ext
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon 2400XT
      • PSU:
      • 95W or something?
      • Case:
      • Intel iMac 20" Aluminium
      • Operating System:
      • OSX Snow Leopard (Win 7 x64 on Macbook Bootcamp)
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20" @ 1680x1050 & 27" 1080p HDTV
      • Internet:
      • O2 10mb
    It's also all the little things. Like how when Valve offered steam-provided games, you could preorder them for considerably cheaper than their store price. EA made their own attempt with Steams message of the day thing, only to offer the game as a download only (no DVD, etc as far as I know) for the exact same price as the retail. gg?

lol @ NFS:C still having crappy resolution choices. Heck, even Trackmania and Pro Evo soccer have far better widescreen support.

Tbh I could go on all day about how bad they are morally of a corporation compared to the majority of the rest, but I wont ^_^

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by unreal View Post
    It's also all the little things. Like how when Valve offered steam-provided games, you could preorder them for considerably cheaper than their store price. EA made their own attempt with Steams message of the day thing, only to offer the game as a download only (no DVD, etc as far as I know) for the exact same price as the retail. gg?

lol @ NFS:C still having crappy resolution choices. Heck, even Trackmania and Pro Evo soccer have far better widescreen support.

Tbh I could go on all day about how bad they are morally of a corporation compared to the majority of the rest, but I wont ^_^
    more than retail for the most part...

Thread Information